PDA

View Full Version : What do the Pros play with?

datplayer
01-14-2004, 08:14 PM
Just curious if anyone know what type of cues the pros use. Always wondered who uses what, just never knew.

recoveryjones
01-14-2004, 10:07 PM
If you go to this link it will tell you some info on the players at the 2003 world pool championship. Click each player entered and it will show witin the info what type of cue they use.RJ

http://www.worldpoolchampionship.com/players_by_group.asp

cuttyshark
01-15-2004, 07:27 PM
Of the 127 players listed on this site:
26 used Predators
9 used Schon
there were 6 each Bear and Meucci
5 Longoni
4 Joss
3 each: Southwest, McDermott, Falcon , Prather, and Volmer.

Everthing else was onesy - twosy, and, for 10 players, it didn't say.

Assuming this to be a fairly good cross-section of talented players, I was somewhat surprised at Predators dominance. Not that they led the count, but by the margin.

(Too much time on my hands, I guess)

tateuts
01-15-2004, 09:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cuttyshark:</font><hr> Of the 127 players listed on this site:
26 used Predators
9 used Schon
there were 6 each Bear and Meucci
5 Longoni
4 Joss
3 each: Southwest, McDermott, Falcon , Prather, and Volmer.

Everthing else was onesy - twosy, and, for 10 players, it didn't say.

Assuming this to be a fairly good cross-section of talented players, I was somewhat surprised at Predators dominance. Not that they led the count, but by the margin.

(Too much time on my hands, I guess)
<hr /></blockquote>

That was a great summary - congratulations!

In most cases, these cues are played with because they are sponsored by the cue-makers. Predator is a big sponsor. The pros get free cues and money for playing Predator.

I will say this - Tang Hoa played in the UPA in Los Angeles with an old Predator - and he chose that cue on his own with no sponsorship. I put more weight in that one fact than I do knowing what the sponsored players use.

Chris

bigshooter
01-15-2004, 09:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote cuttyshark:</font><hr>

I will say this - Tang Hoa played in the UPA in Los Angeles with an old Predator - and he chose that cue on his own with no sponsorship. I put more weight in that one fact than I do knowing what the sponsored players use.

Chris

<hr /></blockquote>
I agree, it does say a lot when a player chooses a cue on its own merits instead of sponsorship money.

I used to be a pretty serious guitar fanatic and I would see ads all the time with the famous rock stars promoting a particular brand but I would see pictures of them recording in the studio and they rarely play what they promote. It was too funny!

Do you suppose Earl Strictland would really use a Cue-Tec if they didn't pay him?
Not that I blame him, I would shoot with tree limb if someone were paying me.

houstondan
01-15-2004, 09:38 PM
In most cases, these cues are played with because they are sponsored by the cue-makers. Predator is a big sponsor. The pros get free cues and money for playing Predator.

Chris

<hr /></blockquote>

are you sure about predator paying? i was under the strong impression that they never paid players. i know they give away sticks but if they're actually paying players to use them, that would be news to me.

dan

bigshooter
01-15-2004, 09:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr> In most cases, these cues are played with because they are sponsored by the cue-makers. Predator is a big sponsor. The pros get free cues and money for playing Predator.

Chris

<hr /></blockquote>

are you sure about predator paying? i was under the strong impression that they never paid players. i know they give away sticks but if they're actually paying players to use them, that would be news to me.

dan <hr /></blockquote>

From the Predator website...

What do over 50% of the top ranked male pro's in the USA all have in common?.....They all use Predator technology without being paid to do so.

Harold Acosta
01-15-2004, 09:44 PM
According to the Predator Website, they do not pay players...

-----------------------------------------------------------
What do over 50% of the top ranked male pro's in the USA all have in common?.....They all use Predator technology without being paid to do so.

The list below is some of the Professional Pool Players that use Predator Technology. We can't list all the players that use our products as many of them have sponsorship deals with other companies that prevent us from using their name.
-----------------------------------------------------------
For more info on the list of players, visit:

http://www.predatorcues.com/english/proplayers.htm

Harold Acosta
01-15-2004, 09:47 PM
50 percent of the top players use Predator products or technology, according to the website. Visit the link below:

http://www.predatorcues.com/english/proplayers.htm

tateuts
01-15-2004, 10:39 PM
Oops, I guess they don't pay them. I just figured they did because so many pro's use them.

Chris

JohnnyP
01-16-2004, 12:14 AM
"Predator technology" is not the same as a Predator cue.

JimS
01-16-2004, 05:58 AM
I don't believe that South West sponsers anyone.

Alex_Delodge
01-16-2004, 06:45 AM
From what I've heard a number of times, Earl Strickland does not actually play with a cue-tec at all. When they offered him the sponsorship he couldn't stand it, so they took a really fine cue and dressed it up to look just like a cue-tec. It wouldn't surprise me if this was true. You ever hit with one? Ugggg

Kato
01-16-2004, 07:11 AM
Me too Dan but wouldn't you consider giving away cues paying?

Here's what I'm thinking. I get signed by Predator (stop laughing, it could happen maybe) /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif and I get 6 cues and 12 shafts per year. Shoot, I can't play with 'em all. Can't I sell 'em, keep the bread, and still play? Wouldn't that be like playing?

Kato

Wally_in_Cincy
01-16-2004, 07:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alex_Delodge:</font><hr> From what I've heard a number of times, Earl Strickland does not actually play with a cue-tec at all. When they offered him the sponsorship he couldn't stand it, so they took a really fine cue and dressed it up to look just like a cue-tec. It wouldn't surprise me if this was true. You ever hit with one? Ugggg <hr /></blockquote>

I may be wrong but....

Earl uses an actual Cuetec. The problem he had a couple years ago was the taper was too conical for his taste. He had them make some shafts for him with a pro taper.

They went ahead and offered the pro taper shaft as an option, calling it the "SST"

or that's what I recall........

I know Allison uses a production Cuetec, or at least she did 3 years ago. I know a girl who inspected Allison's cue up close.

Fred Agnir
01-16-2004, 08:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alex_Delodge:</font><hr> From what I've heard a number of times, Earl Strickland does not actually play with a cue-tec at all. When they offered him the sponsorship he couldn't stand it, so they took a really fine cue and dressed it up to look just like a cue-tec. It wouldn't surprise me if this was true. You ever hit with one? Ugggg <hr /></blockquote> This is incorrect information.

Fred

Fred Agnir
01-16-2004, 08:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
I know Allison uses a production Cuetec, or at least she did 3 years ago. I know a girl who inspected Allison's cue up close. <hr /></blockquote>I'm sure Chris Aldridge knows first hand. When Allison visited MA, I held that Cuetec. It was a little shorter, but it was certainly a Cuetec.

Fred

Singlemalt
01-16-2004, 08:09 AM
Not sure how true this is. I know of a cuemaker in the Charlotte area who claims that Allison's cue has special shaft's made by an individual and is not a Cuetec shaft.

houstondan
01-16-2004, 08:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Me too Dan but wouldn't you consider giving away cues paying?

Here's what I'm thinking. I get signed by Predator (stop laughing, it could happen maybe) /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif and I get 6 cues and 12 shafts per year. Shoot, I can't play with 'em all. Can't I sell 'em, keep the bread, and still play? Wouldn't that be like playing? Kato <hr /></blockquote>

yea, kato, you're right. it's paying but it's not paying much. i know of local players around here who have gotten free cues from makers with the expectation that they'll play with them and drum-up business. mostly, i think, they sell 'em or gamble 'em away. i guess it's sorta like giving free baseballs to nolan ryan. do you really think he's going to take it home and sleep with it under his pillow?

dan...6 cues and 12 shafts?!? go for it.

Chris Cass
01-16-2004, 08:57 AM
Hi Jim,

This is true. I think they're too tight. Parica uses one. Well, he did at the Open.

Regards,

C.C.~~believes Jerry would if he was alive today.

Eric.
01-16-2004, 09:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
I may be wrong but....

Earl uses an actual Cuetec. <hr /></blockquote>

You're right. Earl plays with a production Cuetec. The shafts are also "off the line". The only thing he does is pull the taper back to 1" from the joint collar.

Eric

tateuts
01-16-2004, 10:08 AM
I bet all the cuemakers have been burned at one time or another. I remember a story about a very famous maker here out west giving a player a $2000 cue and it was sold within 24 hours for nose candy.

The cue makers should be sposoring players with free cues and money as far as I'm concerned and it's a shame they can get them to play with and advertise their products without having to pay them.

OK - how's this for a flyer? Do they really use Predator cues, or just shafts, or are they only using the Predator BK break cue? Do they not "pay them" for playing the cue, but for instead wearing the patch and listing their cue as a Predator? Do they match winnings? There are a lot of ways of paying someone.

Maybe I'm nuts, but I'm totally skeptical that all these pros are playing Predator cues instead of fantastic customs because they like Predators better!

Chris

pooltchr
01-16-2004, 10:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Singlemalt:</font><hr> Not sure how true this is. I know of a cuemaker in the Charlotte area who claims that Allison's cue has special shaft's made by an individual and is not a Cuetec shaft.

<hr /></blockquote>
W.
If you are talking about who I think you are, just based on past experience, you need to take things he says with more than a few grains of salt.

Cueless Joey
01-16-2004, 10:22 AM
Three pros PAID for a South West cue.
That tells me a ton. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
The others who get paid to use a particular brand or get huge discounts to buy off the manufacturer who makes their cue do so b/c they need to make a living.

Melissa in CA
01-16-2004, 11:53 AM
Chris,

Maybe you will take my word for it. I play with a Predator. Yes - they gave it to me. No - they do not pay me to play with it. And as far as I know, they do not pay anyone else either. As a pro, I am in contact with other pros - and the players who use the Predator products truly believe it is better. I know my game improved once I started using Predator shafts. It took awhile to get used to the difference, but I feel it was worth it.

Also, Predator will not just send 6 cues to any pro that asks for them. They provide a player with the equipment that he/she needs to play with, but they do not send extras for players to sell for their own profit.

I say all of this not to defend the players or Predator, but to simply answer the questions from first-hand knowledge.

Best Regards,

Melissa Herndon

tateuts
01-16-2004, 12:01 PM
Thanks, Melissa!

Hope to see you Saturday by the way...

Chris

RedHell
01-16-2004, 02:12 PM
From what I have heard from a pro player who actually play against Strickland. Earl also get the fiberglass sanded off the shaft. He plays with a straight maple shaft.

I was also told in the past that he plays with the Thunderbolt shaft and not the SST, I can't confirm that tho.

Eric.
01-16-2004, 02:57 PM
According to Earl, he gets production shafts from Cuetec, then, like you said, has it sanded to bare wood, then pulls the taper all the way back. I guess he likes the toothpicks... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eric

Ralph S.
01-16-2004, 07:24 PM
Good points tateuts.

ragbug74
01-16-2004, 10:21 PM
Have you caught Earl's latest modification......the cut off butt? I saw him in St. Charles, Il. back in October and he had the last 3-4 inches of the butt hacked off. He said he was tired of all that wood flopping around back there throwing off his stroke. Now he basically grips the cue at the end, which looks like it was truly hacked off with a hacksaw. One of my buddies said he saw him use such a cue on an ESPN broadcast recently, but I haven't caught it. He was having a good time telling us about it...saying it'll be the next big thing. So I guess if it comes down to it, it's not exactly "off the shelf", but close.

JohnnyP
01-17-2004, 02:32 AM
So, we can assume Earl doesn't use a slip stroke.

SRpool
01-17-2004, 08:50 AM
I am pretty sure that Allison's cue is a cue straight from the production line. If it is man does it ever play good. I used it when I had to do a suprise TV interview and didn't have my cues with me. It really played well. As for Earl's hacked off cue, I will have to check that out today at the DCC.

Sarah Rousey &lt;---Cognoscenti cue

Wally_in_Cincy
01-17-2004, 09:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SRpool:</font><hr> I am pretty sure that Allison's cue is a cue straight from the production line. If it is man does it ever play good. ....<hr /></blockquote>

It has probably absorbed playability thru osmosis from it's owner /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://www.azbilliards.com/amway2002/allisonfisher.gif

PQQLK9
01-17-2004, 09:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SRpool:</font><hr> I am pretty sure that Allison's cue is a cue straight from the production line. If it is man does it ever play good. ....<hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally:</font><hr>It has probably absorbed playability thru osmosis from it's owner /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif<hr /></blockquote>

Allison was kind enough to take the first shot with a new cue I bought and I am still waiting for the osmossis effect /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.I held her cue while she shot with mine but I was too star struck to examine the shaft (think it was original).

http://www.azbilliards.com/amway2002/allisonfisher.gif <hr /></blockquote>

SRpool
01-18-2004, 08:30 AM
Well, you guys were right about Earl's cue. It is 55 inches now. It wasn't hacked off so maybe Cuetec made him a special cue after he tested it out. As for the osmosis...maybe I should get every great player here at DCC to play with my cue. I would be a champion then /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just an idea.

Sarah

Ken
01-18-2004, 08:53 AM
Earl's on the cutting edge of pool. With his CD player, finger stilts, wooden jump tip, colored glasses and short cue he is going to revolutionize the game. Next thing you know he'll be holding the cue next to his ear.

bigshooter
01-18-2004, 09:05 AM
I've been using the CD player rig for years myself as I hate most of the music in pool halls.
Thinking of switching to an MP3 player since they are about the size of a deck of cards and hold hundreds of songs.
The only problem is hearing your name called for a match when your at a tourney but I usually convince someone to listen for me or take the headphones off when my match is getting near.

Koenig
01-20-2004, 05:59 AM
JonnyP, LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif