PDA

View Full Version : Response to Response to Review

Fred Agnir
01-15-2004, 08:37 PM
Since Pat doesn't post here, nor does he most likely give a crap, I figured I'd share the response to the response.

In RSB, many things are reviewed. It's been done for years. It's all opinions, but hopefully based on actual use of whatever the product is. Anyway, if many of you formulated any opinion based on any of the posts on this subject, you owe it to yourself to read it all , I guess.

Enjoy:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=100dvteiu2n0i32%40news.supernews.com&o e=UTF-8&output=gplain

-----------------------------------

Fred

Harold Acosta
01-15-2004, 08:53 PM
Fred and all CCBers:

At least Pat stands behind his review and so stated to Diana. This is partially what he had to say:

I stand by the substance of my review, and although I can't wish you well with this publication, I do hope you do better in the future.

Pat Johnson
__________________________________________________ ______

Any other reviews so that we can pass better judgement on the contents of Ms. Sorrentino's book?

bigshooter
01-15-2004, 09:16 PM
I didn't care about this book at all until all this controversy started, Now I have to go buy it just to satisfy my curiosity, THANKS A LOT!

houstondan
01-15-2004, 09:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Since Pat doesn't post here, nor does he most likely give a crap, I figured I'd share the response to the response.
Fred <hr /></blockquote>

thanks for posting that, fred. that was an intelligent and proper response from dr.d and a good natured but firm one from pat. like everyone else here, ain't seen it, got opinions on it:

well, maybe since it's a workbook, then each variation of each shot needs it's own page so you can take copious notes of your attempts and progress. that way you can input the data and determine if your "make" percentage is better on some variations than others or under certain conditions, or phases of the moon.

yea, i'm gunna do that. sure i will.

and, i guess i'll just come out and say that the good doctor better have some very powerful medicine in there to be worth $150. maybe $20ish but $150?? that's a lot.

well, i'm not going to find out any time soon myself but if someone else does bite, please write about it. i'd be interested in what she has to say. just not $150 worth of interested.

dan

tateuts
01-15-2004, 09:37 PM
I salute you Fred for printing his response.

Personally I find is disheartening that this player publishes his opinion about an expensive book on another board, then gets personally ripped here on CCB for doing it. I, for one, am glad he didn't keep his opinion private. Not everyone likes the same movies either. To say someone isn't a good enough player to render an opinion is just wrong.

Chris

Popcorn
01-15-2004, 09:58 PM
He admittedly never read the book before making the review. If you look over there now, they are trashing Dr. D for no reason at all. Non of them have even seen the book. Sad.

tateuts
01-15-2004, 10:32 PM
I know what you mean. What I was referring to was the personal attack made on the poster - which was not made by you, by the way.

As far as myself goes, I need a book of a 1000 drills like I need hole in the head! To each his own. I have some books by "the Monk" and Capelle that I think contain some of the best information available, and I have some by the same authors that weren't fit to line a trashcan.

Chris

Fred Agnir
01-16-2004, 08:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> He admittedly never read the book before making the review. <hr /></blockquote>I think it's fair to say that all of us can formulate a good opinion on something without reading the entire thing. If you can't get through something (anything, not necessarily this subject matter) because of it's bulk, complexity, unimaginativeness, or it being down right boring, does that mean you still need to read the thing to formulate an opinion and give a review?

I gave a review on Byrne's latest offering with just scanning it. I gave it a favorable review. I don't recall anyone hammering me for giving a review based on scanning. That seems to be what's happening here.

Fred

Popcorn
01-16-2004, 09:03 AM
Yes and no, Then again it may say something about the person attempting, or more accurately pretending, to do the review. Of course they don't want to actually do the work. The internet and boards like this have provided a perfect place for these people, it makes them feel important to give their opinions. Possibly in their everyday life, (The real world), they may represent the highly un-accomplished, someone who, has no one seek their advice, or opinion, or cares what they think. These internet boards are their drug of self-importance, as they spew out their opinions on everything under the sun.

Aboo
01-16-2004, 05:50 PM
Heh, if the RSB is PJ's "drug of self importance" he needs to find a better chemist! LOL
There are a couple guys over there that just trash ANYTHING he posts. If he said the sky was blue he'd get an argument. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif But your right that some folks just NEED attention, good or bad.

The good Doctor refunded the shipping to... don't see to many folks doing that.

NH_Steve
01-16-2004, 06:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> He admittedly never read the book before making the review. If you look over there now, they are trashing Dr. D for no reason at all. Non of them have even seen the book. Sad. <hr /></blockquote>I'm with you, Popcorn. Essentially the same thing happened here on the CCB a few weeks ago when someone posted a query about the book -- a whole bunch of highly opinionated responses from people who had never seen it!!! Go figure /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif And then on top of that you have all the different posters saying things like, "oh thanks for the heads up, now I know not to spend the money on it" -- based on one single super quickie critical 'review' (to use the word loosely /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) from someone who had "only skimmed through it" -- unbelievable!!!

Previous CCB thread (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=117362&amp;page =3&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1)