PDA

View Full Version : My Dayton

buddha162
01-16-2004, 04:58 AM
My first custom cue. Definitely worth the wait!

http://i.xanga.com/buddha162/MyDayton102.jpg

http://i.xanga.com/buddha162/MyDayton101.jpg

http://i.xanga.com/buddha162/MyDayton2.jpg

http://i.xanga.com/buddha162/daytoncue3.jpg

Roger

JimS
01-16-2004, 05:54 AM
Very nice! I know the feeling. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
01-16-2004, 07:17 AM
Isn't it great? First time you lay eyes on it. The first time you hold it. The first ball you hit with it. The first ding you get in it /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kato~~~loves that new custom cue smell /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

UWPoolGod
01-16-2004, 09:19 AM
Its always great to be waiting for a while, come home and there is a package waiting that could only be the cue. That happened with my Scruggs. Took a few months to get it and I came home to find the box and the light came on. I couldn't get the box open fast enough.

bigshooter
01-16-2004, 12:12 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gifI've never ordered a brand new custom.
Happy for you! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Sad for me! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Awesome Cue - very jealous!

tateuts
01-16-2004, 12:24 PM
Hey Buddah,

Good to see you on this side of the fence. What a beauty! How does it play?

Chris

Aboo
01-16-2004, 05:57 PM
Congratulations that's a nice looking cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Those matching joint protector's are a nice touch!

And please, tell us how it plays! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

buddha162
01-16-2004, 08:44 PM
Jinx!

No ding will ever marr the finish on this cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Roger

buddha162
01-16-2004, 08:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> Its always great to be waiting for a while, come home and there is a package waiting that could only be the cue. That happened with my Scruggs. Took a few months to get it and I came home to find the box and the light came on. I couldn't get the box open fast enough. <hr /></blockquote>

Are you kidding? I woke up at 6 the morning after Paul shipped the cue, and called FedEx once every hour, while tracking the package online. When the tube finally arrived I practically mobbed the delivery guy.

If I had class I would've skipped it. Dito with work.

Roger

buddha162
01-16-2004, 09:05 PM
Well, since I've received the cue I have yet to have any "alone time" with it. It also came with two Predator shafts, so it wasn't a big adjustment for me since I've used Predator shafts for the last 6 years.

The hard Talisman Pro on one shaft was too hard, and the medium WB was too soft, so I just had Quick Mooris installed on both shafts. They have yet to break in completely.

But on the whole, the cue plays very solid. I have very limited experience with cues, having used the same old Falcon w/Pred shaft for the past 6-7 years, so I can't offer much in terms of comparison.

My Falcon was also a wood to wood joint (an old prototype Falcon), and the Radial pin on my Dayton doesn't seem to add much to the hit. Once they're screwed tight, I doubt there's much difference. The balance is more forward than my Falcon (which is pretty rear-weighted), but not too forward.

The ebony forearm and Tiger Maple wrap are both cored with straight-laminated maple, so it still hits much like a maple cue. None of that distinctive Ebony "ping."

The cosmetics of the cue is simply awesome. Exactly like I envisioned it will be, even better. The wood rings look great: clean, perfect squares of maple and ebony; Dayton's signature rings. They also line up straight through the cue, even on the joint protectors. The Tiger Maple is gorgeous, and straight-grained. The lines are clean and sleek.

The finish is perfect, glistening and shiny. He spent a lot of time on the finish, having discovered a blemish at the last minute, he stripped and refinished the whole thing.

I think I would need a good two weeks of alone playing time to have a better idea of how the cue plays. So far, it plays great. I got some unexpected action on the cueball, ie some crazy draw and follow, but not too sure if that's new cue syndrom or the actual cue.

Roger

ragbug74
01-16-2004, 10:15 PM
I spoke with Paul Dayton at length this past fall when he attended an ACA show in St. Charles, Il. He is certainly one of the true "oldschool" cuebuilders out there. If you've never seen some of his points, they are amazing, and all done entirely by hand. His attention to detail, as shown in the alignment of the ringwork and joint protectors on this cue, is second to none. A very nice man if you ever have a chance to meet him.