PDA

View Full Version : PLAYING ON RED ALERT

cheesemouse
01-16-2004, 07:49 AM
I have an Brunswick 9' Anniversary at home but it resides in a three season room which is hard to heat in the winter so I have taken to going over to a friends house and practicing on his Diamond Pro cut table. The difference in style of play one falls into on each table is striking. The Brunswick has approximately 5" pocket openings, the cut of the pockets is very forgiving, and after your warmed up you can just let out the shaft and over power the table hardly ever passing on a shot for fear of the table not excepting the shot you've just dreamed up. On the other hand when playing on the Diamond Pro even after warming up you have to play close to the vest, knowing that any shot not hit very precisely and with pocket speed can back fire.

I can play for one hour on the Brunswick and it feels like 10 minutes but one hour on the Diamond feels like three hours. My question is does anyone out there with the opportunity to play on the D/Pro find it exhausting to maintain a high level of play? I can't imagine playing five or six two hour matches in a row on the Diamond Pro w/o collapsing from mental exhaustion. I find playing well on RED ALERT rewarding but not much fun. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

houstondan
01-16-2004, 10:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> I can't imagine playing five or six two hour matches in a row on the Diamond Pro w/o collapsing from mental exhaustion. I find playing well on RED ALERT rewarding but not much fun. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

somebody tell me if i'm wrong but i think i can remember the guy from diamond saying he was abandoning the "pro-cut" pocket angle in favor of something more rational. i've spent some time on one of those and i just don't think it makes sense. practice on that table and you get good ON THAT TABLE.

if your brunswick has stock pockets then they're probably closer to 5 1/4" or maybe even bigger. they really need to be shimmed some but the real problem with the pro-cut" is the pocket facing angle will reject shots that it shouldn't. it's not a lot of fun to shoot a shot perfectly and know it came back because the table was wrong. meanwhile, forget about having many options on shape. i know it gives some kind of bragging rights to the owner about the table being "tough" but can you see any benefit to a basketball player practicing with a hoop thats 3 feet too high and 6" too small?

in fairness to diamond, they are probably a better dollar-value than the g.c.(not a better table) but spending too much time with the pro-cut pockets will not help your game.

and, before someone calls me a banger who can only shoot buckets, my gc is shimmed to 4 5/8". fairly tight but not silly. and sometimes i get as many as 3 or even 4 balls in a row. so there.

dan...nothing personal, just business.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-16-2004, 10:17 AM
Makes me tired just thinking about it /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally~~prefers pocketing balls /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Rod
01-16-2004, 11:58 AM
Cheese,

When the cloth is new and balls are new or at least clean and polished it isn't too bad. It still is a tough table though. I don't have the luxury of eyesight like an eagle anymore so I know what you mean by the table being demanding.

I think in many cases people make a mistake by buying a pro table instead of the regular cut pockets. If you play only at home and don't get frustrated by missing a well hit shot, then ok I guess. The problem as I see it your not allowed to work the c/b near as much as on a table not so tight, especially those shots near a rail, at speed, unless a near perfect hit. That type of practice or play might have the tendency to tighten up ones stroking arm a tad. LOL

A home table can be set up tighter than the local rooms but not so tight it doesn't resemble some type of normal play. Unless your room has Diamond pro's, then I'd say, why own such a tight table unless you never tire of the challenge.

Rod

bigshooter
01-16-2004, 12:05 PM
I've always said I was going to put an extra table in my house with 8" pockets and call it my self esteem table.
I may not make me a better player but it might feel good.

SPetty
01-16-2004, 12:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr>My question is does anyone out there with the opportunity to play on the D/Pro find it exhausting to maintain a high level of play?<hr /></blockquote>I have the opportunity to play on a Diamond Pro with Pro cut pockets, and find that I get better over hours of time. I don't find them exhausting, but then I wasn't weaned on a large pocketed table. I have noticed though, when playing in league, the tables seem to forgive and accept shots that they shouldn't.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I don't ever "maintain a high level of play", but I do maintain my level of play.

As for hdj's funny cut comments - I remember something about that years ago, but I don't remember if it was the Diamond table with the problem. I don't think there's anything funny about the cut of the pockets on my Diamond Pro.

Tom_In_Cincy
01-16-2004, 01:55 PM
On the other hand...

Playing One Pocket on a Diamond is a pleasure..