PDA

View Full Version : Cheated out of $1100

dooziexx
01-16-2004, 10:23 AM
I think I just got screwed out of $1100. A few weeks ago, I met this guy over on the internet and we hammered out a deal where I would purchase 2 cues for $1100. I expressed my concern that I wanted this to be an honest transaction and he assured me that it will be. So I sent him a postal money order for the amount + $50 for overnite shipping and insurance. He sent me an email saying that he shipped the cues out last Thursday, insured using priority mail and it has been a week and I still dont have the cues. He also mentioned that he would be out of town on Monday and Im not sure when he'll be back. So far Ive emailed him once to sayin that I dont have the cues.

Im thinking a couple of things.
1) I just got screwed.
2) The cue is lost or he fouled up on the address. But he can claim insurance. Who knows how long that would take.
3) I shipped stuff priority mail all the time and it doesnt take a week to go from Indiana to Illinois. Maybe I should wait longer.

My gut feeling is that I got screwed. Do you guys know of anyway I could recover the money? Would contacting the police dept where he lives help? All I have is his address, the emails that we exchanges and a phone number that seems to go to his voice mail.

Cueless Joey
01-16-2004, 10:28 AM
If he shipped it, he should have provided a tracking number.
Kinda late now but maybe an escrow service could have helped. Also, if you meet someone on the net, it better be on an established forum.
This really sukks as we conduct business here with no problems. I've sold a cue to a buyer in San Francisco whom I have never met.
Also, just a heads up, if you put a cue on auction, there are some people out of Europe who are pulling a scam right now. They pretend to want your cue and they send you fake checks.
Also, I don't think you would be out of line if you name this person.

dooziexx
01-16-2004, 10:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> If he shipped it, he should have provided a tracking number.
Kinda late now but maybe an escrow service could have helped. Also, if you meet someone on the net, it better be on an established forum.
This really sukks as we conduct business here with no problems. I've sold a cue to a buyer in San Francisco whom I have never met.
Also, just a heads up, if you put a cue on auction, there are some people out of Europe who are pulling a scam right now. They pretend to want your cue and they send you fake checks.
Also, I don't think you would be out of line if you name this person. <hr /></blockquote>

We got into a squabble because he agreed to ship the cue overnite by UPS but he didnt. He said UPS overnite would cost $72?? $72 from Indiana to Illinois?! Ive bought a $4k cue from California and it was shipped UPS overnite fully insured for $50... So he shipped it USPS Priority Mail insured but wouldnt pony up the extra 45 cents for tracking...

Cueless Joey
01-16-2004, 10:40 AM
I shipped mine for $35 on a 2-day UPS.
If he didn't provide tracking, I'd be suspicious.
And if the cue was lost, HE will make the claim and who knows what'll do with the money.
UPS overnite will not cost $72. No way.

Rich R.
01-16-2004, 10:49 AM
Did you look into stopping payment on the money order or possibly tracing the address of the person who cashed it?
Just some random thoughts.

dooziexx
01-16-2004, 10:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Did you look into stopping payment on the money order or possibly tracing the address of the person who cashed it?
Just some random thoughts. <hr /></blockquote>

Rich,
I went to the post office and tried to stop payment on the money orders but the clerk said they cant do it. I do have his address tho....

Iowashark
01-16-2004, 10:59 AM
I think for that kind of money and one state away, I'd have spent the extra gas money and picked up the cues and delivered the money in person. If it doesn't come in the mail today I would cancel the money order or contact the police where he's from. Or I would again spend the gas money and drive to his house and pull off his fingernails one by one until he gave me the cues. But that's just me and I'm a sweetheart like that.

roscoe
01-16-2004, 10:59 AM
I'm a PI. If you would like me to do some background on this deadbeat email me privately. You do have remedies through local PD, County Proscutors Office and States AG.
Roscoe

UWPoolGod
01-16-2004, 11:09 AM
I like Dave's idea best.

Todd &lt;--- still waiting for a Cue gripper cue holder I bought from billiardstore.com last on the 5th.

dooziexx
01-16-2004, 11:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Iowashark:</font><hr> I think for that kind of money and one state away, I'd have spent the extra gas money and picked up the cues and delivered the money in person. If it doesn't come in the mail today I would cancel the money order or contact the police where he's from. Or I would again spend the gas money and drive to his house and pull off his fingernails one by one until he gave me the cues. But that's just me and I'm a sweetheart like that. <hr /></blockquote>

Dave,
I should have. But thats the mistake I did. When I got suspicious, which was after I sent out the money, I did a mapquest on his address and found that he lives only about 60miles from me. Again that was a big mistake on my part.

Iowashark
01-16-2004, 11:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dooziexx:</font><hr> I did a mapquest on his address and found that he lives only about 60miles from me. <hr /></blockquote>

Heck, you could pull off his fingernails over your lunch hour. Just a hop, skip, and jump away. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bigshooter
01-16-2004, 11:53 AM
I would check again on stopping payment on a money order,
I had a person put a stop pay on a money order against me one time, it came back to my bank just like a bad check.
I don't know if it was a USPS money order or from a bank or if their is a difference in policy between the two.

tateuts
01-16-2004, 11:57 AM
Here's what I would do in this case:

1 - Don't panic. There is a marginal chance that he's telling the truth. Complete the communications before taking legal action.

2- For a fairly reasonable cost over the internet, with minimal information, you can do an identity and background check. You can verify his identity, etc., address(s), legal issues, etc. You may be able to find his employer and other information. I did this in a similar case and was able to contact the persons sister and parents under the guise of "I'm looking for so and so regarding a legal matter" and it's very effective. They get scared if they can't hide.

3- Once you are in contact again with the person, I would first say something like - " I am beginning to doubt your story. Prove you are who you say you are by faxing me a copy of your identification, or I will have to contact the police department right away. If you're not willing to do it than I know I can't trust you". You need some proof that this person you've been dealing with is who they say they are - you don't know at this point.

4 - Since you mailed the USPS money order and he said he sent the cue by mail by an insured package, this could be postal fraud. Postal fraud is a serious crime. You can file a postal fraud complaint online here:

U.S. Postal Inspection Web Site (http://www.usps.com/websites/depart/inspect/welcome2.htm) at USPS.com - click on the "mail fraud" section, there is a fraud complaint form.

It's probably more effective as a threat than anything else. I doubt the post office has time to check out anything but ongoing massive fraud.

5- You can try to file a police report but you don't have much of a case. Even if this person is who he says he is, he can just say it was lost in the mail.

6- Small claims court - you win.

Chris

greenhorn
01-17-2004, 12:22 AM
Doozie,
I wouldn't loose hope just yet. I've bought some stuff off of ebay that took over two weeks to arrive by priority mail. I've also mailed stuff to the next state over and across the country and the the package the next state arrived 3 days later than the one across the country. On the item that took over two weeks to arrive, the post office couldn't help at all. All they told me was to wait 30 days then have the sender file a claim if it was insured. The extra $0.45 over priority mail is not for tracking, it is for delivery confirmation. They don't necessarily scan the package at each stop just like UPS. It just confirms when the package was delivered to the address of destination. It kinda protects the seller against buyers who say they didn't receive a package they received. I have tracked UPS packages that travelled across 4 states in 3 days only to sit at a UPS sight 20 minutes away from my house for 3 more days.

On that item that took over 2 weeks (close to three) the seller wouldn't respond to any e-mails or phone calls except for the positive feed back he left me. After I left him negative feedback others did as well for poor communications. He never responded with retaliation, email or nothing. Then one day the package arrived. I called the post office and they couldn't explain a thing. I hope you get your cue sticks.
Luis

woody_968
01-17-2004, 08:43 AM
I noticed you said in your post it was a US Postal money order, I dont remember where it was posted but this is a good thing. I think it too ties the guy into mail fraud or something along those lines.

And yes I do believe they will investigate if you report it. Mail fraud is VERY serious, and something he will be very sorry he got tied up in if it goes that far.

Ralph S.
01-17-2004, 08:33 PM
I hope you still have your copy of the money order. My sister works for a bank. She is the head teller. She told me that no matter where you purchase the money order, it can be tracked to see if, where, and when cashed. All you need is your copy, (the receipt) and possibly your ID to prove you were the purchaser. If you can't get help from the place you bought the MO from, contact the police department and get them involved. From what she says after hearing your story, you've been had. The faster you react, the better the chances for recovery.