PDA

View Full Version : New Moori 3 Tip problems

recoveryjones
01-16-2004, 10:51 AM
I just changed tips yesterday going from a Tiger Sniper Med Hard to a new Moori 3 Medium tip.The Moori 3's are supposed to be Moori's newest and most improved tips.I had it professionally installed by a cue repairman who puts it on his lathe and does the job.He shaped it to a nice well rounded nickel shaped dome.The tip being new is really thick.I'm thinking maybe its too thick and maybe I should have it taken down some more.
Iwas shooting GREAT with the Tiger Sniper however my curiuosity in hearing that Moori tips were great led me to try one.I played two sets and miscued about 5 times.....OUCH!!! I rarely ever miscued before. I know when you change tips there's an adjustment period you go through and thats to be understood however 5 miscues in two sets is a lot. My friend (an A+ player) says that my tip is too rounded and needs to be flattened out somewhat.This guys a great player and he says he already tried the Moori experience and had miscueing problems as well.I'm wondering about flattening it out because the person who installed it is a professinal tip installer with a good reputation.
A few of the posters here really love Moori. Has anyone else tried the Moori experience and found these tips to be a headache as I have so far? Probably I should flatten it out a bit maintaining some roundness and give the tip some time before panicking( as it's only been one day) however we do have our pool halls biggest tourney of the year coming up in two weeks. Any comments on Moori tip problems and tip shaping would be appreciated. RJ

UWPoolGod
01-16-2004, 11:04 AM
I have not tried the new Moori III's yet. I have a Moori Med on my custom and love it. Even the Med is super hard you you have to chalk every time, but I do that anyways. I miscued one time in league last night so I reshaped and tapped it and went about my business. I recently bought two of the Moori III Quick (Hard) tips but have not put it on my cue yet since the old one still has a ways to go. We'll see how those play.
As far as you go i am not sure, what type of shots did you miscue on? Bad stroke trying to draw the ball?

Iowashark
01-16-2004, 11:21 AM
From the experience I have had with Moori, they are a harder tip. Harder tips have a tendency to glance off the cue ball when trying for extreme spin. Perhaps you just need to get used to the tip's density. I know a lot of people here disagree with using a tip pik or other tip tools, but that would be my next suggestion...rough it up a bit and try again.

pooltchr
01-16-2004, 11:58 AM
I don't think I would use a tip pik on a layer tip. I use mine on a solid WB, but with layers, the pik can weaken the laminate, or so I am told. Stick with a scuffer or fine sandpaper on the layer tips.

Rod
01-16-2004, 12:19 PM
A true nickle shape or being tall isn't going to cause a miscue. Lack of chalk or a bad stroke will though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Having said that I like my tips cut down about 25 to 30 percent. I shape mine to a nickle for break in but it is closer to a quarter after being played with for a while. Look at your tip when you miscue, was it too far out on the edge? You can see when you get to far out, it can tweak the side wall.

Rod

Sid_Vicious
01-16-2004, 12:23 PM
Off the main subject a little but your tip guy should have known enough to reduce the tip in height. A tall layered tip is probably going to act differently, even delaminate on you, than one properly shortened.

Your miscueing problem is not one I've had, but you'd have to know me...I don't adjust equipment to the occurance of a miscue, I re-address my stroke mechanics. I have not tried the Moori III tips yet though...sid

JayCee
01-16-2004, 10:25 PM
Recoveryjones,

I've tried the Moori Soft and Medium tips and really liked them both. I never had any problems with either of them nor miscued with them. When mine were installed they were rather tall but I requested they be taken down half way.

Have you ever played with any other Moori's prior to the one you're using now? How did you like the Tiger Sniper tip? I've not tried them and would like to know how they compare to Moori's or other layered tips.

JayCee

tateuts
01-16-2004, 10:46 PM
First of all, I definitely do not like the cigar butt size tip loafing on my ferrule, so I would file it down a little too.

I play with a Moori medium and I also initially had miscue problems. I find they actually miscue less with a rounder tip - more like dime shape. The reason why is the tip is pretty hard so there is no give on connection - so the rounder profile more accurately fits the cueball shape on draw shots.

Also, this helped a lot. I take a medium file and hold it still at a 45 degree angle to the tip, then just roll the tip across the length of the file with pressure - just about once every couple of days - you can hear a little crunching sound as the files teeth dig into the surface - that was the best Moori treatment because it digs in little grooves without going in too deep. Sandpaper just quickly flattens and doesn't do much.

Anyway, these two things have helped me a lot. Careful also when you chalk to get the edges well.

I find it funny that they advertise the Moori III holds chalk better and it's just like the old guys.

Chris

Chris Cass
01-16-2004, 11:36 PM
Hi RJ,

First let me say Tony from Talisman recommends that tip height be smaller that the width of the ferrule. So, too high a tip is not good. Plus you really don't need a tip that tall. These type last long anyway.

Myself, I like a tip to have a quarter radious and I will trim mine down to 2 to 2 1/2 dime width side wall. They seem to hit better to me. Also, I keep them burnished on the sides. The harder the tip the more consistant you must stay inside say a quarter radious from centerball. Like if you picture a quarter in the middle of the cb. It's better for your game. Miscueing does happen but it can be from lack of chalk if you hit with anything but ctr ball. I suspect it's from your stroke. No disrespect intended.

Sometimes when we change our tip we tend to think about it instead of playing the shot normally. We don't put confidence in the tip till we just let go. Face it, we have to have confidence in the tip or it's worthless. Some players play with a dime radious and some with a nickel or like myself a quarter. You should know what your comfortable with and should know the height your comfortable with also.

Myself in your position? I'd take it down some and put the radious to what I like. I'd then, give the tip a chance and play with it awhile. Sometimes the tips look kind of shiney under the chalk and this is true for nonlayered tips too. Then, I would take some 120 grit and lightly ruff the tip.

Regards,

C.C.~~Lord knows, it's always the equipment. LOL

recoveryjones
01-17-2004, 08:36 PM
Thanks to everybody on their responses to my Moori tip concerns,much appreciated.Looking back on things there were some factors that probably led up to my 5 miscues that night.Here are some of them: Playing on 3 hours sleep the night before.The unfamialarity of a new tip. Playing our house shark ( nerves) in a very close 7-6 loss.Absorbing his negetive talk regarding his experience with Moori tips.Also one miscue was a rail shot, another a stretching shot draw where I probably should have used a rest and a few deep draws.Also although I've been told I have a nice stroke, I know for a fact I DON'T ALLWAYS STROKE IT NICE and to blame all the miscues on other factors would be a crock of bs.
Having said all of this my opinion on the Moori 3 has changed dramatically.Yesterday I went to the pool hall and hit balls for three straight hours.I was well rested, relaxed and I chalked that cue virtually every shot.Although I had a few miscues (probably stroke mechanics)I was amazed at the performance of the Moori tip.I did several table lenght long draw shots (with the cue ball and object ball 8 ft. apart), and used various amounts of siding resulting in spin I've never experienced before.I did some of those biting draws where the cue ball stops briefly and then pick up speed as it draws back rapidly.I did some straight in draws with left and right sidings and the cue ball reacted excellent of the rails.This Moori tip is truly the best tip by far performance wise that I've ever experienced. It also offers so much more feel than the Tiger Sniper and lepros of the past.In my past I've spent $25 USA in a pub in a few hours, so spending that kind of money on a tip( that will give me countless hours of enjoyment) is money well spent for sure.
In summary I have to confess I panicked a little bit when posting and didn't give the new Moori a fair chance time wise and conditions wise.I think this tip will really improve my game. Even though I shot much better with it the 2nd time around I will probably take it down another 25% and my tip installer has already offered to bring it to any specs I require free of charge.It's nice to have nice people like you folks and him when playing our wonderful sport of pool. Thanks and take care, RJ

woody_968
01-17-2004, 10:13 PM
Glad to see things are looking better for ya. I have been trying to decide which tip I want to try, have it down to either the Moori or Talisman. Will let everyone know how it goes when I finally make the change.

Troy
01-17-2004, 11:18 PM
IMO you can't beat a Talisman Pro. But then I may be biased since I've been using and stocking them for a few years.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr>.....have it down to either the Moori or Talisman. <hr /></blockquote>

Sid_Vicious
01-18-2004, 09:00 AM
"I have been trying to decide which tip I want to try, have it down to either the Moori or Talisman"

woody...Unless you are paying an arm and a leg for the Moori tip instead of the Talisman, buy the Moori. You can not go wrong, and you might as well get the premier, well respected tip(and my new choice for a tip) the first install. I've never had one iota of a problem with Moori tips. I can't say the same with Talismans. Main thing though is the way the Moori plays. Those players I know who use the Moori tips are staunch believers, same as me now.

What is your price difference between the two brands???sid

Chris Cass
01-18-2004, 01:53 PM
Hi RJ,

I like the way you think. Your honest with yourself and that my friend will bring your game to new heights in itself. I don't miscue often but when I do it's much easy to dismiss and move on when the factors you mentioned took place. Playing under the circumstances you were playing under require a much absolute pre-shot routine, tired and all. It requires much more of a deliberate stroke due to the mind and body needing rest. Just imagine what you can do when your at 100%. He'll be putty in your hands. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, I think your going places. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~shoot'em up coyboy...

woody_968
01-18-2004, 02:32 PM
Sid, price difference is not an issue. Even if there was $30 difference between the two (and of course there is not) $30 isnt much if one performs better than the other. I normally hit balls every day and play competitive matches when ever I can, so the cost of a tip is my last concern.

Thanks for the input.

tateuts
01-18-2004, 03:14 PM
I just ordered Moori III mediums from "joerackem" on E-Bay- 10 of them for $9 each. I'll try them out on one shaft and post if there is any difference in performance.

Chris

stickman
01-18-2004, 03:59 PM
I've used the Talisman WB Med tip on my favorite stick for about a year. I'm completly satisfied with this tip and can't imagine I could be any happier with another tip. After the intitial shaping, I've never had to do anything but chalk. There was a short break-in period. The tip looked somewhat slick after break-in, but grabbed the ball fanstically. I didn't use a scuffer or any other tools. It held chalk so well, that I could shoot several shots without chalk if I wanted to. I am due to change the tip, and will be replacing with the Moori 3. I just have to see for myself. Since I replace tips for several people, I want to have my own experience, and knowledge about the tips I'm installing for them. I'll let you know about our impression. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim

aajourney
01-18-2004, 06:13 PM
I recently placed a new Moori Med 3 tip on my pechauer. I also noticed that I misscued a lot during the first time I tried it. Mostly on long draw shots. I've played with it some more now and have allready reshaped and burnished it.
I seem to be misscueing a lot less now. Not sure what the problem was. It was very thick as I put it on myself and then just shaped to a nickel. Now I just lightly shape before each session which roughs it up at the same time.

By the way, it was a pain in the rear reducing it from 14mm to 13mm. I used the ultimate tip tool trying to be super carefull and still managed to put small scratches in the ferul. If I had it to do over again, I would have it professionally done.
I'm not totally satisfied with it at this point. But the more I shoot with it, the more confidence I'm getting with it.
If it doesn't convert me by the time I need a new one, probably in about a year, I will go back to my 33 cent Lepro which is easier to put on by yourself as it is allready 13mm and is a good tip.

recoveryjones
01-18-2004, 06:15 PM
Hi Stickman, Now that I got (and am happy as can be with) a new Moori 3 meduim,I 'm just like you in reverse and I am curious to try one of those Talisman tips some day that I hear everyone talking so highly about.I guess the only way to rate a tip is test drive the baby yourself.I look forward to hearing your Talisman/Moori comparisons. RJ

ArNz
01-19-2004, 09:34 PM
If their spofter then, would this mean that the 2nd gen. Moori med-hard is comparable to the 3rd gen. Moori III Quick or still Moori III medium? Which is which then? Hopefully anyone can answer this.

ArNz
01-22-2004, 10:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> I just ordered Moori III mediums from "joerackem" on E-Bay- 10 of them for $9 each. I'll try them out on one shaft and post if there is any difference in performance.

Chris <hr /></blockquote>

So how was the new Moori III? Is it softer than the old medium and how do you compare them, u like the old or the new?

tateuts
01-22-2004, 10:30 PM
I'm waiting for them still - I'll post it when they come in, probably next week.

Chris

jer9ball
01-23-2004, 01:07 PM
RJ...you said:

"Playing our house shark ( nerves) in a very close 7-6 loss.Absorbing his negetive talk regarding his experience with Moori tips."

You correctly identified this guy as a shark...and that's exactly what he did. The power of suggestion... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif))

Next time you play him, start talking about how the cueball seems lighter, and its making it hard to control the break, and that the lighter CB is making draws hard to hit accurately. See if he's also vulnerable to nice little suggestions. Ha ha!

cheers,
jer9ball

aajourney
01-24-2004, 01:15 PM
I'm getting more and more used to the Moori tip I put on. I guess it just takes time to break it in. I seldom miscue anymore like I did at first.

ArNz
02-01-2004, 09:29 AM
TTT