PDA

View Full Version : DCC on line

JimS
01-16-2004, 03:00 PM
My audio went out and video is sketchy the last 10 min. The picture is only about 3" square rather than the whole screen. The rest is ads. Not a happy camper.

UWPoolGod
01-16-2004, 03:03 PM
Yeah yesterday I watched one of the mosconi matches and saw it was only 3". Don't know why. I didn't know if they would make it bigger for the tourney...guess not.

bigshooter
01-16-2004, 03:12 PM
Right under the screen there are 5 small circles with symbols on them, the fourth one from the left (next to last) will make it go to full screen mode.
Then when you want to leave full screen mode push "esc" key on your keyboard.
I have not watched the live events but the freebies have played fine on my computer. I have DSL , your connection speed to the internet will greatly affect what kind of performance you get, if you use dial up it will likely not be good at all.

Rod
01-16-2004, 03:14 PM
Hit the 4th button below the screen to the right to increase to full size. All I get is the Mosconi cup though. I wouldn't pay 9.95 per day or session to watch with the poor video quality.

Rod

Popcorn
01-16-2004, 03:15 PM
I think the $9.95 is for the whole deal

UWPoolGod
01-16-2004, 03:25 PM
I paid for it. Pretty cool stuff. No sound for me though...and then i have to go to Sacramento Sun-Thurs..sucks.

UWPoolGod
01-16-2004, 03:28 PM
My first time seeing Jimmy Wetch..pretty impressive

UWPoolGod
01-16-2004, 03:30 PM
Charlies just kinda biding his time.

Rod
01-16-2004, 03:43 PM
Are you able to watch full screen? It seems it's shown through windows media player and mine doesn't have a full screen mode. Or is it the same player used on the site, which can be expanded?

Rod

Ken
01-16-2004, 03:45 PM
Rod,
It's $9.95 for all 20 matches plus whatever else they might put in.

Full screen is not your only choice. If you change your display setting to 640 by 480 the screen is about 5" by 6".

Unfortunately on dialup the screen is mostly frozen but the audio works pretty well until it has to reconnect.
KenCT

Rod
01-16-2004, 03:55 PM
Thanks Ken,

I never thought of changing the resolution. So you do use the desk top windows media player? Let me know please, that's still kind of small though.

Rod

UWPoolGod
01-16-2004, 04:01 PM
Yeah I can watch full screen, but have no audio..dead speakers. Charlie Williams is the first eliminated.

Brady_Behrman
01-16-2004, 04:03 PM
Jim, You can double click on the video itself to view full screen...Then hit esc. to go back

Brady_Behrman
01-16-2004, 04:07 PM
Poor Quality, Are you kidding?

This is UNBVELIEVABLE!

Theres a bunch of us watching it now and chatting live, which you can do aswell by clicking "LIVE Chat" in the player. No Complaints just a bunch of happy campers..

Rod
01-16-2004, 04:14 PM
Brady, I was watching the Mosconi cup video feed, which isn't bad but not real good. I take it the other is full screen and a lot clearer?

Rod

Ken
01-16-2004, 04:14 PM
Rod, I'm not sure what viewer I am seeing here. It doesn't look like anything I have installed on the computer. It seemed to come up automatically after I had BCtv start the video. I can't find anything that identifies it. There was a screen that checked out the veiwer, identified it and said it was working ok. I can't go back there because it failed to go forward from there three times. I finally had to click "accept" before it ran the test video and I was able to buy it from there.
Ken

Brady_Behrman
01-16-2004, 04:17 PM
Rod, open up the player and click on "LIVE Chat" on the left side of the player and ask everyone watching... NO Complaints i have heard at all!

Rod
01-16-2004, 04:20 PM
Ken,

Thanks again, it's comes from the site then, which is ok. It at least would be availabe full screen then. I'm not sure how that works exactly other than I believe you have to have win media player to make it work. Even though it isn't shown through the desk top player. I'm on cable so no problem there.

Rod

Rod
01-16-2004, 04:23 PM
Thanks Brady, it's appreciated.

Rod

Tom_In_Cincy
01-16-2004, 04:32 PM
UWPoolGod..

If you have time.. let's hookup at Hard Times..

JimS
01-16-2004, 04:54 PM
I"ve tried hitting all the buttons and tried double clicking on the video....still small picture. I"m on cable so??????

Rod
01-16-2004, 05:10 PM
Jim,

There are 5 buttons below the video screen. When you run your mouse over them the 4th one to the right says pres esc to exit full screen. Just click on that button to enlarge. If you all ready did that then I don't have a clue. It won't be back on until 7 or about a 1/2 hour.

Rod

JimS
01-16-2004, 05:30 PM
Thanks Rod. When it was on and I would run the mouse over that button nothing happened and I tried clicking on it several times thinking, even in my computer illiteracy, that maybe that was the button to hit.

I'll email them too. Thanks..Jim

Kato
01-16-2004, 08:46 PM
Do you need to pay the $9.95 to get into the chat room?

Kato~~~dial up is way too slow for the video feed.

Ken
01-16-2004, 08:55 PM
I watched it on dialup. At times it was fine. However for the last 45 minutes I never saw a ball move. 5 to 10 seconds between most frames. There's no excuse for something that poor. It would reconnect a lot but still no movement. Good audio though. At least I heard how the games were going.
KenCT

Fred Agnir
01-16-2004, 08:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Do you need to pay the $9.95 to get into the chat room?
<hr /></blockquote> No.

Kato
01-16-2004, 09:20 PM
I've got the chat room up. Not much going on. Want some updates. I figure Earl and CW are gone. Anybody know where the money sits right now?

Kato

Fred Agnir
01-16-2004, 09:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> I've got the chat room up. Not much going on. Want some updates. I figure Earl and CW are gone. Anybody know where the money sits right now?

Kato <hr /></blockquote>The finish was worth three times the $9.95.

Fred

Pelican
01-16-2004, 09:32 PM
The banter between Jim and Danny was worth the price of admission /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
01-16-2004, 09:33 PM

"There's no excuse for something that poor".

You are watching on dial up. This is new stuff and over time more and more people will have dsl and cable. I have a six year old IBM Aptiva with Comcast cable and I have to tell you, It was just like watching it on TV, it was almost perfect. I don't know how good it would be if I had a better computer. I gave the guy who comes on here a little bit of a hard time for the sneaky ads, but I have to say, this is great and the wave of the future. I will be working my schedule this coming week around the broadcasts.

Ken
01-16-2004, 09:35 PM
I agree that it was well worth the price. I wish I could have seen some of it. There's a problem somewhere. Perhaps it's the software or bandwidth. It ranged from better than I expected to much worse than I expected.

The next time I start getting 10 second stills I'm going to start clicking things and rebooting. Maybe that's the answer.
KenCT

Ken
01-16-2004, 10:00 PM
There's no problem with dialup. I would get periods of 5 or 10 minutes where the video was fine. You are totally wrong to blame dialup. If the packets get there the video moves quite well and much better than I originally expected. Now explain how that decent performance can degrade to a series of 10 second stills. Do you really think that is dialup? Or is this just a knee-jerk reaction because you've been convinced that high speed connection is necessary? I can assure you that it is not. I suspect either a software problem or they don't have sufficient bandwidth to handle the demand.

BTW Is your name Joe?
KenCT

Fred Agnir
01-17-2004, 06:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ken:</font><hr> There's no problem with dialup. I would get periods of 5 or 10 minutes where the video was fine. You are totally wrong to blame dialup. If the packets get there the video moves quite well and much better than I originally expected. Now explain how that decent performance can degrade to a series of 10 second stills. Do you really think that is dialup? Or is this just a knee-jerk reaction because you've been convinced that high speed connection is necessary? I can assure you that it is not. I suspect either a software problem or they don't have sufficient bandwidth to handle the demand.

BTW Is your name Joe?
KenCT <hr /></blockquote>There were a handful of times of no action between "sets." There was also a time of no audio when Earl knocked the cueball off the table and it the audio wire!

Other than that, it was several hours of uninterrupted play. Maybe you caught it at a time of a few breaks?

Fred &lt;~~~ just guessing

JimS
01-17-2004, 07:03 AM
I thought that last night alone was worth the money...what a finish! I do wish I could have gotten the picture to fill the screen rather than watch that 3x4" box. I'm going to see if using IE will help today. I tried clicking on all the buttons but to no avail.

Ken
01-17-2004, 07:47 AM
Fred,
I watched continuously for the last 45 minutes and got all still frames that lasted from one second to 10 seconds with about a 5 second average. At other times it worked very well considering it's dialup. I think something happened with the software and it needed to be restarted. After the match ended I did get the video to come on again but I didn't want to play with while I was attempting to watch the games.

The whole setup is not easy to operate as shown by the number of people who could not get it to work. I should just have re-entered and started all over and I think it would have been fine.

I think they demonstrated that this can work very well but there are a few bugs.
KenCT

eg8r
01-17-2004, 08:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There's a problem somewhere. Perhaps it's the software or bandwidth. It ranged from better than I expected to much worse than I expected.
<hr /></blockquote> Ken, I am willing to bet a very high percentage of the problem is with your dial-up connection. You said it yourself in another post when you said, "considering it is dial-up". If there were people with high bandwidth experiencing the same problems as you, then it would make sense that it was a problem with BCn, however only those with dial-up have mentioned a problem.

Whether dsl or cable is not available, or you just don't want to be talked into the fact that they are better, you will continue to have issues with streaming video.

eg8r

JimS
01-17-2004, 08:39 AM
I elected to restart the program 2 or 3 times during the 6 hours I watched because a condition like the one where I started this thread would occur; the video would become start-stop like you are talking about Ken, and/or the audio would quit.

Each time I restarted it worked fine and I had no problems getting the program to work..and it's a good thing because I am completely illiterate when it comes to puters!

The only problem I had was that the screen size would not enlarge for me. People kept telling me to click on the 4th button from the left and I must have clicked that puppy at least 50 times but to no avail. I'm going to switch from Netscape to I.E. today and see if that helps.

I think it all starts at 11 am midwest time, noon eastern, 9 am where Rod is!

Ken
01-17-2004, 08:52 AM
eg8r
Your conclusion is totaly contrary to logic. The video works just fine and then goes wacko. I am connected at all tomes at 50kbps. You have also bought into the conclusion that high speed is the only way this will work. I say again that it works very well on dialup for significant periods.

Perhaps you can explain why it works well for extended times? Again, a knee jerk reaction to justify your subscription to high speed service.

From other comments and my experience I am convinced it is a software problem but I'm appreciative of your comments despite your lack of any experience with the broadcast using dialup.
KenCT

Rod
01-17-2004, 10:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it all starts at 11 am midwest time, noon eastern, 9 am where Rod is!
<hr /></blockquote>

Nope, it starts at 10 am here. Arizona time zone never changes. None of that move ahead and fall back stuff.

Rod

heater451
01-17-2004, 10:26 AM
Hey Ken,

I haven't seen the software/setup that they are running, but I can add that I've seen video issues with "internal servers"--that is, a box in the same building serving video--and I've even seen problems with CD-ROMs running video. The problem can easily be with the software, although I lean towards blaming the 56k connection. However, going back to the statement that I don't know the setup, it's possible that there is a stream for low-speed connections--either chosen, or auto-sensed. I would, have to agree with part of what eg8r says though, about whether complaints are only from dial-up customers.

And, just to throw it out there, do you happen to have another networked computer running at the same time,and is anyone else surfing on the network at the same time? This splitting of the bandwidth can cause problems.

Oh, and before you hit me with the "necessity of DSL" bit, I agree that it's not really needed for general browsing. In the past, we've had to move some seriously large files, which justified the cost. Nowadays, I need it for gaming. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, I do believe that DSL (high-speed) connections are becoming more the norm, since people want to push large media down the pipes, but I also agree that the prices are inflated. Then again, I also pay local school taxes, when I don't have kids. . . .

=======================

Popcorn
01-17-2004, 10:43 AM
I think my Cable connection is the biggest bargain I have. For the few dollar a month more it is like the Internet was useless before. If I want to do my banking or check the arrival time of a flight, read various newspapers, even just brows the classified in my local newspaper, it only takes a few seconds. Before I had to decide if I really wanted to do something before I sat down and waited endless minutes just to see a few pages. I can justify the extra expense, At least to me, a dozen times a day. I just checked my speed and it went to 2000 which is as high as the meter goes on the web site
http://promos.mcafee.com/speedometer/test_0600.asp
Small price for the incredible increased performance I get over my old AOL dial up. I can use the computer now without having to sit here all day. Depending how many times a day I will be on and off the computer, I may have spent 20 minutes a day just waiting for the dial up to get me on just so I could begin. That alone is worth the extra $.90 cents a day I pay. That is 10 hours a month just waiting for a G.D. connection that after I am on isn't even very good. I get a lot of e-mail, I love being able to hear when an e-mail comes in. I often get back to them before they are even off their computer. For me it is a no-brainer.

PQQLK9
01-17-2004, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the link, my cable connection peged the needle also /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

Your Internet Connection
Speed Results

File Size: 600.005 KB
Time Elapsed: 2.14 seconds

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.19 Mbps
(280.38 KBps)

eg8r
01-17-2004, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The video works just fine and then goes wacko. I am connected at all tomes at 50kbps. <hr /></blockquote> Quite doubtful, but whatever, you are obviously satisfied with what you have, I guess we will just have to listen to you complain about it.

[ QUOTE ]
You have also bought into the conclusion that high speed is the only way this will work. <hr /></blockquote> No, what I said was that you will continue to have problems. I never said your dial-up would not work, just that you would have problems regularly. Your connection is not at 50k all the time, it is fluctuating all the time.

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps you can explain why it works well for extended times? Again, a knee jerk reaction to justify your subscription to high speed service.
<hr /></blockquote> You obviously know little about the technology, and just want to believe the problem could not possibly be on your side. What would it take to prove it COULD be your dial-up? You are not staying at 50k the whole time, especially if for some reason there is a lot of static on the line or any electrical current fluctuation. Another reason you mentioned earlier are dropped packets, this is not necessarily a software issue (on the BCn side) at all. All BCn is doing is breaking the feed into the packets and sending them out. Whether the packets find you is a different story and BCn software has no control over that.

[ QUOTE ]
From other comments and my experience <hr /></blockquote> What were the comments that made you believe your equipment and isp are working flawlessly, and the fault is soley on that webservice???? Also, what is your experience with watching live streaming video?

[ QUOTE ]
but I'm appreciative of your comments despite your lack of any experience with the broadcast using dialup.
<hr /></blockquote> You are right, I have no experience with this certain broadcast on dial-up, why would I want to travel back into the dark ages and use an inferior technology. Why do you even bother with the computer when you could just use your phone to chat, and a typewriter to type? I am just joking, but not matter how you slice it, dial-up is inferior. I totally understand not wanting to pay a premium price for it, or if it is not available in your area, and you have to use dial-up. I completely understand if dial-up is just a preference, but I hope you don't kid yourself into believing it is on a level playing field with the other options previously mentioned.

Good luck with the rest of the Derby, hopefully the rest of the Derby comes in better.

eg8r

eg8r
01-17-2004, 07:20 PM
How cool is that. I hate having to remember the time change. Especially after the news people cram it down our throats all week, and I still forget.

eg8r

Ralph S.
01-17-2004, 07:58 PM
Fortunately I dont have to deal with the time change either. Although most of Indiana doesnt change, certain regions of it do.

ted harris
01-17-2004, 11:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ken:</font><hr> Perhaps you can explain why it works well for extended times? Again, a knee jerk reaction to justify your subscription to high speed service.

KenCT <hr /></blockquote>
Last May I had to get Direcway high speed because I could no longer stand dialup. My connections at best were 19 kbps, which meant that they were worse than that most of the time. I switched from a local company for my website and went from $30- a month + domain registration for my website and $20- a month for unlimited dialup access. By the time I added in the extra phone line at $25- a month it was costing me about $75- a month + my valuable time (tech calls, waiting for long periods during downloads, etc). Most of the time I felt like smashing the computer into itty bitty pieces. What a waste of time!
It has since gone down to $6- a month for my website at Ipowerweb and $100 a month for the Direcway high speed satellite. Additionally, now I save probably 40-60 hours a month of my time. I now feel like I am getting paid to be on the computer. My speeds are consistently running over 1 Mbps. In April, all the equipment will belong to me and the cost will go down to $60- a month. It is like stealing. The Direcway has been trouble free, and I would recommend it to anyone in rural America where there is no DSL or other high speed access. If you live in the city, it is even cheaper at only $40- or so a month. And on top of that you don't have to buy any equipment.
I was at a friends house the other day where they were connected at 56K, and we were trying to download simple stuff; what a joke! It was like I was having a flashback; the sweats, uncontrollable shaking, and anger kicked in almost immediately. I was suddenly reminded of how convenient high speed can be. Thank you Direcway! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KBuck
01-18-2004, 02:12 AM
I think my cable company needs to expand its bandwidth. In the afternoon(when I assume the most people are using their internet connections, evening might be higher) when I did the speedtest I was only getting .6 Mb (4 or 5 tests) but when I tried at 3:21 AM I got 1.693 and 2.441.

Thanks for the link.