PDA

View Full Version : Wrist angle and fine tune aiming.

JimS
01-17-2004, 08:46 AM
I noticed while practicing a few days ago that after I do my aiming while standing and then get down and then fine tune the aim that my wrist angle felt "funny" as I completed the missed shot.

I started paying more attention to that condition and I've found that I tend to try to accomplish that fine tuning of the aim by changing my wrist angle. Bad idea!.....but...I'm not positive what I'm supposed to move to accomplish that slight aim change. I "think" that leaning my body ever so slightly one way or the other is the best answer (but I'm guessing!) as that leaves the straight line from cue tip through the shoulder as it should be....straight!

Suggestions please!

Popcorn
01-17-2004, 08:58 AM
You need to fine tune your pre-shot routine before you come down on the ball. Although you would not want to, once down on the ball, you should be able to one stroke the shot if you wanted, you should be lined up on the shot that well, feet in the right place and so on. Even the way you walk around the table and approach the shot contributes to how you will finally set up. Once down on the ball, body leaning and twisting should not be necessary. That is why when you see some top players, they may not even seem to aim at the shot, they just shoot. There is almost nothing left to do when they come down on the shot, they are already perfectly lined up. You find when you are watching average players play sometimes, (also good players), you can see when they are going to miss. They are not lined up on the shot and they subconsciously try to pull their stroke or something to make up for it

woody_968
01-17-2004, 09:02 AM
If you need to adjust your aiming you must do it with your body. And that doesnt mean to lean one way or the other, ya gots ta move your feet. In most cases once you are down, if you feel your aim isnt right its time to get all the way up off the shot and start over.

tateuts
01-17-2004, 11:35 AM
Jim,

Popcorn's right about the pre-shot routine. I found what helps me is to stand up and see the line, then step forward into the stance. How you place the bridge hand matters too -you want to set it where it needs to be accurately. You want to be really solid over the ball - no head or body sway. The tiniest head sway will throw you off. The wrist should do nothing but react to your stroke. If you need to adjust your aim, everything needs to be repositioned a little.

If you're truly well set, the shot is almost an afterthought.

Chris

Scott Lee
01-17-2004, 12:26 PM
The doctor will be there soon...hang on! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif LOL

woody_968
01-17-2004, 05:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> The doctor will be there soon...hang on! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif LOL <hr /></blockquote>

Ya gotta like a doctor that will still make house calls /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif