PDA

View Full Version : Head position

JimS
01-17-2004, 08:56 AM
I've had problems overcutting almost all long shots from any angle. I've tried everything I could think of but I just seem to see the shot as having more angle than it does.

I used to move my head around trying to find the optimum position...cue under my nose or somewhere more to the right..under my right eye (I shoot left handed). I'd stopped moving the cue and decided I just needed to learn how the shot looks when it's lined up correctly. But it's not been working. I've had days when I will miss a dozen spot shots in a row and I'm just sure when I line it up that it's got to be right.

While reading Inside Pool the other day, and while watching the Ring Game last night I noticed that Earl positions the cue clear outside the right side of his face...his chin being along side the cue. I decided to try this, but with the cue outside the LEFT side of my face, or at least moved towards being under the left eye, and it appears to be making a much needed difference in my game.

It seems that I see the angle to the pocket and the ghost ball much more accurately than before. Last night and this morning I'm more accurate than with the cue under my chin. Time will tell. I've thought that I'd found the "answer" several times before.

I don't know if it makes any sense but there it is.

woody_968
01-17-2004, 09:13 AM
Jim, head position is VERY important, and its not just try it on one side or the other, but it has to do with which eye is dominate. Most consider the best choice is to have the cue directly under your dominate eye, the second choice would be the cue directly under your chin and between both eyes.

Now without trying to go too far, there is one more thing to consider. Lets assume you are left eye dominate, when you are down on a shot and look at an object ball that is far away you will see 2 cues in your periferall(sp?) vision. You would actually want to aim with the one on the right. If you were right eye dominate you would aim with the one on the left. I mention that the object ball was far away as I think when the cueball and object ball are closer together you dont get as much of what Ill call the 2 cue effect when sighting the shot.

And one last point, with your left eye directly over the cue, when you look at the cueball to check your tip postion the tip may look like it is slightly on the left side of the cueball. Thats ok, and it should to some extent. The thing to do is shot some straight in stop shots paying attention to where it looks like you are addressing the ball to keep from having any side spin on the ball. For me it was putting the right edge of the shaft on the center of the ball, but everyones sighting is a little different and may very slightly from day to day.

Popcorn
01-17-2004, 09:15 AM
Famous last words in the pool room, "I just discovered what I have been doing wrong". Just kidding, we all do it. It seems like the discovery never lasts more then a day though.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-17-2004, 09:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Famous last words in the pool room, "I just discovered what I have been doing wrong". Just kidding, we all do it. It seems like the discovery never lasts more then a day though. <hr /></blockquote>

The "quick fix" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Royals reliever Dan Quisenberry used to quip "I found the delivery in my flaw" when he came out of a slump. Many times I have "Found the stroke in my flaw" only to find out I had just screwed it up worse. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

tateuts
01-17-2004, 11:22 AM
I don't think Earl aims in the conventional sense.

I watch his tapes, and once he's on the cueball he only seems to stare at the object ball and does not look back and forth beween the two. So, I would say, his head position probably doesn't make that much difference, because he can just send the cueball to wherever he wants accurately. I mean, he could be standing 10 feet away and aim better than me.

The techniques of Earl, Efren, and Bustamante are the most unique on the planet - that's probably why they are the best on the planet!

Chris

randyg
01-17-2004, 12:32 PM
JimS: Your head position is critical to consistant shot making. Your eyes must be positioned over the cue in such a way that "what you see is true". The "dominant eye" has nothing to do with how we aim a pool cue, that's just a tall story some people like to re-tell.

There is a neat drill that is very common amoung BCA Instructors that will get your head into your proper position. I wish I was located closer to you, you would learn it in about 10 minutes....randyg

woody_968
01-17-2004, 12:37 PM
Randy, I would be very interested in that drill, as I have been toying with head position and trying to find what works for me. Up till now I have never seen anyone say having the dominate eye over the cue didnt make a difference. This topic now intrigues me /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
01-17-2004, 01:00 PM
Unfair Unfair!!! Give us a clue at least. I am always looking to learn something.

JimS
01-17-2004, 02:47 PM
BOY WOULD THAT BE HELPFUL!! CAPS INTENDED!!

I worked on all of it today again going back to cue under my chin and again I couldn't find the angle or ghost ball that would get the object ball in the hole. As soon as I moved the cue to the outside of my face, left side...even though I am dominant right eye... I found the correct line to the hole. Weird.