PDA

View Full Version : Why do you like a hard tip?

Wally_in_Cincy
01-17-2004, 12:38 PM
What's the advantage of a hard tip? This from a recent thread:

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1:</font><hr>
...I played two sets and miscued about 5 times.....OUCH!!! I rarely ever miscued before....
<hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 2:</font><hr> ... I have a Moori Med on my custom and love it. Even the Med is super hard you you have to chalk every time, but I do that anyways....<hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 3:</font><hr> From the experience I have had with Moori, they are a harder tip. Harder tips have a tendency to glance off the cue ball when trying for extreme spin....<hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 4:</font><hr> ...I play with a Moori medium and I also initially had miscue problems....<hr /></blockquote>

These problems were diagnosed as poor stroke, no chalk, wrong shape on tip, etc.

But does the extra hardness increase the likelihood of a miscue? Just curious really.

I tried a hard tip once. I did not miscue but I couldn't make a ball.

I like a softer tip, but that's just me....

Rod
01-17-2004, 12:43 PM
I just like the feel Wally. Soft feels like a marsh mellow but I don't like real hard either.

Rod

tateuts
01-17-2004, 01:25 PM
I read where hardness doesn't have anything to do with a tips ability to hold chalk. I'm not so sure I believe it but I am of the opinion that a hard tip has to be shaped regularly and meticulously, where a soft tip presses itself flatter on the cue ball on impact so sloppy shape still works.

I definitely like a firm tip - Moori medium is just right for me. Once you get used to it, it's hard to go back to the old Elkmaster. There is increased feedback in your hands and your ears. You can actually feel and hear what the shaft is doing. It's the difference between "thwap" and "thud".

If the tip gets too hard, it's difficult to control the cue ball spin - I get knuckle balls with a super hard tip.

Chris

JimS
01-17-2004, 02:53 PM
I have never analyzed why....I just like the feel.