PDA

View Full Version : Cracked shaft question

cuttyshark
01-18-2004, 12:43 AM
Last week I sold a used (but not abused) Meucci with red dot to a guy at the pool hall. I saw him tonite and he's saying that the shaft tenon is cracked. He's claiming that's what it is because the ferrule is ok, and it's making a noise. I've had it for a couple of years and didn't play with it much, and, I never noticed any noise. He didn't have it with him tonite for me to inspect,and it hasn't been taken apart, but, here's my question:
Is this very common?
I'm sure it can possibly happen, but is it more common that it's the ferrule that's not 100% secure.
Along this line, is it possible for a ferrule to appear and feel to be glued tight, but in fact it isn't?
Finally, how easily can they be removed? Would a couple of minutes with the blow dryer be enough to loosen and not do any other damage?

Thanks

tateuts
01-18-2004, 02:06 AM
It's almost always the ferrule. Have a cue maker repair it for $20 - $30.

Chris

Popcorn
01-18-2004, 02:42 AM
Before you mess with the ferrule, check the tip. A loose tip will make a lot of noise also. If there is another Meucci around, try switching the shafts. If it still makes noise on another butt you know it is the shaft.

BLACKHEART
01-18-2004, 08:50 AM
With Meucci's, it could be a number of things. 1st of all you can't tell if the tenon is cracked with the ferrule on unless the crack continues down past the ferrule. Hold the shaft in your hand & with your thumb, push sideways on the ferrule. If the crack is there you'll see it. Check the tip to see if you can lift it. Then twist the ferrule to see if it's loose. See if there is a space between the bottom of the ferrule & the shaft. It could be one of two other things too. A cracked joint collar on the shaft or a loose weight bolt, can also make a buzzing noise that sounds like something might be loose of broken...JER

stickman
01-18-2004, 10:09 AM
A friend of mine was complaining of a noise. I wasn't able to try the stick because we were playing league at a location that has only one table. He was ready to leave and we were in the middle of a match. After inspecting the stick, I wasn't able to visibly see a problem, other than to notice that it was a very hard tip. I would have liked the tip personally, since he used it specifically for breaking, but he didn't like the noise. I told him to let me try putting on a new tip, before doing anything more drastic. It took care of the problem. My guess was the tip was compacted due to the breaking and as the tip became harder, the noise developed.

I had to ask: Did this person try the stick before he bought it? It's awful easy to lean a stick against a wall and accidently drop it on the floor, causing damage to the tip, ferrule, or tenon. I guess let your conscious be your guide.