PDA

View Full Version : Best Thing About the BCN PPV Web Feed

Fred Agnir
01-18-2004, 07:16 AM
Every year, there are three or four events that we on the CCBoard talk about. Some of us go to some, while others go to others, and then there's the overlap of folks. We talk about some of the action and antics, and those that aren't able to go usual have a post of regrets.

I've realized that although I miss not going to the DCC this year, this is the next best thing. Across the country, there are thousands upon thousands of pool fans who have never seen professional players really play. Even on TV, the 9-ball game makes it look a little too easy. But with the DCC and the Short-Rack Banks, One-Pocket, and the Ring 10-ball, the rest of the country gets to see all the shots, moves, and strategies that these professionals really possess. And they get to see games that normally aren't played across the country. Plus, if they play, say, one-pocket or banks in their home area, they get to learn a little to about that particular game and how it is supposed to be played (goalwise, at least).

I find this web cast absolutely amazing. I've watched more broadcast pool in the past two days than in the past year. That's no lie. And the fact that it's live, goodness. Isn't that what we've been waiting for?

So, all you folks who haven't signed up for it and can get it, you're missing out. There's still a week's worth of action, including today's Bank Pool. And I wouldn't be surprised if there is another ring game. Don't be one that has to post a regret.

Fred <~~~ ain't regretting nothin'

PQQLK9
01-18-2004, 08:29 AM
Heck, it's worth the price just to see the Pro's practice between matches.
I think they will show some One Pocket today, /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif can't wait.

JimS
01-18-2004, 10:10 AM
I watched about 9 hours of the best pool players on the planet for $9.95 and did it without having to leave the house or my chair. What a deal! The ring games were a blast. Parica scratching and clawing to stay in it, Archer all but blowing it. Great stuff!! Too bad they can't pay 2nd place though.

I got kinda tired of Mataya's mouth but on the other hand I can't imagine NOT getting tired of anybody after 5 or 6 hours. Danny DeLiberto was wonderful...knowledgeable, professional, witty, insightful, a fantastic straight man for Mataya's Don Rickles type humor, I enjoyed Danny tremendously and seriously hope that he gets featured roles in anything of this nature in the future.

Somebody mentioned the possibility of more of that kinda of ring game...maybe raising the ante to $50k a player with $500k winner take all. Hmmm. Would that see tickets? I stayed up til about 2:30 am and this old fart hasn't done that in about 20 years! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Popcorn
01-18-2004, 10:38 AM
What is exactly involved in doing this? In other words how hard is it for say, a place just putting on a tournament to put it live on the net whether they want to charge or not? What kind of expense?

Pelican
01-18-2004, 10:46 AM
Hey popcorn, I would guess the biggest expense would be in the electronics required to do it. Then having the people qualified to operate same.

Rod
01-18-2004, 10:48 AM
Friday 1/16 3:00pm Ring Game

Saturday 1/17 12 Noon 9-Ball Banks Rules/Format

12 noon Nick Varner vs. Shannon Daulton
4 pm Jeanette Lee vs. Dave Matlock
8 pm Shannon Daulton vs. Efren Reyes
10 pm 6 Man Ring Game:
The MAIN EVENT!

Entry: $5,000.00 each
$30,000.00
Winner Take All!

10pm-2am?
500.00 a Game Start
Game: 10 Ball

Johny Archer
Efren Reyes
Corey Deuel
Alex Pagulayan
Shannon Daulton
Souquet or McCready TBA

Sunday 1/18 12 Noon 9-Ball Banks/One Pocket

Monday 1/19 TBA One Pocket
Tuesday 1/20 TBA One-Pocket
Wednesday 1/21 TBA 9-Ball
Thursday 1/22 TBA 9-Ball
Friday 1/23 TBA 9-Ball
Saturday 1/24 TBA 9-Ball

In addition they had the Saturday night ring game, like Fred said, there could be another one.

Rod

Popcorn
01-18-2004, 11:07 AM
I agree about the commentary, The Mataya thing is a little bit of a put on, but that "is" Danny. I have spent thousands of hours in his company over the last thirty or more years and he is one of the most fun guys to be around. He is a little on most all of the time, but not in a bad way. He is very smart in almost every way as well as a loyal friend when the chips are down. He must be close to 70 now and he is still like a kid. That boxing and tough guy stuff about him is no joke. We were once in a pool room and a guy who must have been 6 foot 4 was giving him a hard time when he was playing, he was with the other player. Danny walked over to him and asked him what his problem was. The guy stood up from his chair, I guess to intimidate Danny with his size. Danny said to the guy, "I like to play pool, but if you want, there is another sport we can play". This guy could tell that this was no bluff and sat down and kept his mouth shut.

Sid_Vicious
01-18-2004, 11:13 AM
Probably asked before, but is a dialup connection gonna be appealing for this feed???sid

Kato
01-18-2004, 11:36 AM
Sid, I'm watching it on dial up an I'm not having any problems with it.

Kato

Ken
01-18-2004, 11:48 AM
There are at least a couple rooms with webcams. At Pete Sinkler's 14.1 tournament they had the cam on and it's on all the time so they say (but not now apparently):

http://www.thebilliardstour.com/poolroomcam.html

Setting it up is cheap but the bandwidth needed for many viewers may amount to some expense. Carom Cafe has two tables going but I've not seen good quality video from them.

D&D is using an Axis 2100 capable of 15 frames per second with a built in webserver so only a connection to the internet is needed. It can be bought for $280 and $99 extra for sound. This can be done cheaper using your own PC.
KenCT

tateuts
01-18-2004, 11:58 AM
Agreed, this is good stuff. The Ring Game was long but I watched the whole thing.

I think the ring game concept is something that would appeal to mainstream sports fans - kind of like a "Skins Game" for pool. It's all offense, go-for-it big stakes pool.

The commentary was hilarious. Totally unprofessional, crude, non-p.c., but kind of refreshing instead of these polished, polite, MC types. Mataya crossed the line once too often. If he worked for a national television broadcast he would be unemployed this morning. The comments about Mizerak were totally uncalled for.

I also now think that 10 ball is more suitable for professional pool than 9 ball because of the rack. They were racking with Sardo's and the balls weren't dropping on the break unless they were really slammed. The extra ball makes a difference on the table too.

All in all, great fun. My highlight was watching John Schmidt hit balls in practice - unbelievable!

Chris

sledhamrbrk
01-18-2004, 11:29 PM
Popcorn,

I am not sure if they could do the same production without Accu-Stats or not but my understanding is that Accu-Stats cost to show up is around fifty thousand. This is before they ever sell a video. I am sure that it may not require the kind of state of the art equipment Pat has to do something similiar.With all that Bcn and Accu-stats are doing it's certainly no cheap endeavor.All the more reason to buy a couple videos to support thier efforts.

Hats off to both Bcn and Accu-Stats.I cant get there till later this week and already feel like I have been there.

dmgwalsh
01-19-2004, 05:25 AM
I wasn't gonna get this cuz all I have is dialup, but maybe i will. Is there anything going on during the day? (during work hours) If I sign up to use it at work, will I be able to see it at home also? What hours in the evening will stuff be happening? Sounds like I'm missing a lot.

JimS
01-19-2004, 06:45 AM
Two more ring games!

Just before I gave up and went to bed Sunday night brady behrman came on the chat and said that there would be two more ring games. Out Tom in Cincy aka saktown tom, confirmed...ring games Wed and Fri..I think.

Same format, $30k winner take it, players tba.

Kato
01-19-2004, 07:09 AM
The chat feature is an excellent edition. We chat while we watch, it's really great.

Kato

JimS
01-19-2004, 07:14 AM
Loved the chat w/Kato, Fred, Rod, Brady, Ken in Ct and all the others but had to go to full screen to sweat the action in the ring game.

Are there brackets anywhere on line that anyone knows of?

Kato
01-19-2004, 08:13 AM
Jim, check out insidepool.com

Kato~~~also enjoyed the chat very much.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-19-2004, 08:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> I wasn't gonna get this cuz all I have is dialup, but maybe i will. Is there anything going on during the day? (during work hours)

<font color="blue">I think they have matches starting at noon </font color>

If I sign up to use it at work, will I be able to see it at home also?

<font color="blue">Just make sure you logout before you leave work, then log back in when you get home. And logout before you go to bed /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

What hours in the evening will stuff be happening? Sounds like I'm missing a lot.

<font color="blue">POOLK9 was reading my mind. It's worth 9.95 just to watch Nick Varner practice banks /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

dmgwalsh
01-19-2004, 02:01 PM
I just paid for it . What next?

Wally_in_Cincy
01-19-2004, 02:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> I just paid for it . What next? <hr /></blockquote>

You should get an email shortly with your password. Then go to BCn and log in. Click "Watch bctv" . As a paid member you should se an option for watching DCC. Click on that. Choose 300 speed on the right. You might have to hit the "PLAY" button. It might take several seconds for the video to begin.

The site is not particularly easy to navigate, as you can tell /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
01-19-2004, 03:00 PM
dmgwalsh, is it working?

dmgwalsh
01-19-2004, 03:14 PM
I just saw someone bank the eight and scratch. i downloaded a newer version of Media player. maybe. D

dmgwalsh
01-19-2004, 03:30 PM
having trouble getting into the chat room. Was that Keither practicing banks? Dennis

off to leagues now. I'll try again tomorrow

Jimmy B
01-22-2004, 04:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> So, all you folks who haven't signed up for it and can get it, you're missing out. There's still a week's worth of action,

Fred &lt;~~~ ain't regretting nothin' <hr /></blockquote>

It's 6 am and I just got done watching my Girl RA playing some 20K 1 hole ! Damn straight this thing is great, not only will you regret not buying this at a bargin $10 but I'm calling you a fool. This is the best thing I've seen since that min ball cleaner, but that's a thread for another week. I'm off to bed to get 5 hours of sleep so I can watch more at 11:30 today. Thanks Rob! JB :-D

dmgwalsh
01-22-2004, 05:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> Loved the chat w/Kato, Fred, Rod, Brady, Ken in Ct and all the others but had to go to full screen to sweat the action in the ring game.

<hr /></blockquote>
I couldn't get into the chat room. How do you do that? Dennis

JimS
01-22-2004, 07:55 AM
It appared to be down last night. Don't know why they couldn't have come here and let us know what was going on. Appears they just didn't care.

eg8r
01-22-2004, 09:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's 6 am and I just got done watching my Girl RA playing some 20K 1 hole ! .... I'm off to bed to get 5 hours of sleep so I can watch more at 11:30 today.<hr /></blockquote> Where do you people work???? ROFL, I am just kidding.

eg8r

Aboo
01-22-2004, 11:05 AM
LOL I was thinking the same thing. I could prolly get away with watching over the lunch hour, but our Network Admins might get a little cranky if I was streaming live video and sound for 12 hours a day through their network!

dmgwalsh
01-22-2004, 11:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> Loved the chat w/Kato, Fred, Rod, Brady, Ken in Ct and all the others but had to go to full screen to sweat the action in the ring game.

<hr /></blockquote> tried to get in the room again. It said 15 people including me, dmgwalsh, but I don't know how to chat or read anything. A list of names comes up. help.
I couldn't get into the chat room. How do you do that? Dennis <hr /></blockquote>

Wally_in_Cincy
01-22-2004, 11:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr>..I couldn't get into the chat room. How do you do that? Dennis <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

type your words in the white box at the bottom of the window (first click on it with your mouse to get a cursor). hit "send"

dmgwalsh
01-22-2004, 01:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr>..I couldn't get into the chat room. How do you do that? Dennis <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

type your words in the white box at the bottom of the window (first click on it with your mouse to get a cursor). hit "send" <hr /></blockquote> there's no white box on mine. oh, well.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-22-2004, 01:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> there's no white box on mine. oh, well. <hr /></blockquote>

well, that sux. I don't know what to tell you.