PDA

View Full Version : would you do this! rerack

justbrake
01-18-2004, 08:54 AM
if your playing against someone for money and this guys giving you a loose rack to brake on, would you just grab the rack and rerack your own balls!to break (this is what i feel like doing) is this allowed! /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

bigshooter
01-18-2004, 09:18 AM
Well anything is allowed that you both agree on since its heads up pool, ask him for a tight rack and make sure to reciprocate when he is breaking or suggest that you both rack your own balls, if he refuses both suggestions then don't play him, if he wants action bad enough he will cave to your requests.

Drake
01-18-2004, 09:38 AM
Most Pros won't break a rack without looking at it. It can make a huge difference in a match. If you aren't walking up and checking the rack.....your aren't giving your self a fair chance at winning. If my opponent complains, I just remind him that it IS very hard to rack the balls tightly and Playing rack you own would be fine with me.

justbrake
01-18-2004, 10:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drake:</font><hr> Most Pros won't break a rack without looking at it. It can make a huge difference in a match. If you aren't walking up and checking the rack.....your aren't giving your self a fair chance at winning. If my opponent complains, I just remind him that it IS very hard to rack the balls tightly and Playing rack you own would be fine with me.
<hr /></blockquote>

the last time i played him i told him that the rack was loose but he keeps playing with the balls so they don't tighten up, after ten breaks and 1 ball pocketed in nine ball you feel like your giving him the break as a spot and
i think it's time for me to put a stop to his practice

Rod
01-18-2004, 10:14 AM
Some people just can't rack, believe it or not. Either that or their always looking for an edge. A guy I play always seems to slip in one of those dead racks. It ticks me off to no end so I won't play him with the weight I give unless I rack. Funny thing is, when he wants to rack well it gets much better especially if he is racking for a partner. Either don't play him or you rack.

Rod

Sid_Vicious
01-18-2004, 11:19 AM
You have another option. The Racking Secrets booklet lets you read a rack for an advantage, using gaps in the rack. If I had someone being goofy with the rack, I'd study the rack for one of the scenarios from Joe's book, and make some wing balls. That'll frustrate the guy...sid

recoveryjones
01-18-2004, 12:42 PM
Thanks Sid for letting us know about "The Racking Secrets" book, much appreciated.I found it on the internet at:
http://www.roadplayer.com/JTProMain.asp
A local pro (Paul Potier) told me to do two things without fail: ALLWAYS check the rack and NEVER concede anyone a nine ball.I allways rack the balls the best that I can( even if the opponent is breaking great) as I'm never out there trying to cheat anyone. I also call fouls like double hits on myself.Yes I've lost matches by being honest, however,I've kept my integrity.Unfortunatley there are people out there who will do anything to win including giving you a poor rack.Some of them will do it all the time and others will wait until that hill-hill game.I check every rack and if the person comments, I tell them it's nothing personal as I just like to get a read on the rack and I do it with everyone. It keeps them honest and gives me one less thing to worry about.The odd person(usually when they are losing) gets angry and will state: "If you don't like the way I rack, rack em yourself." The majority of people just oblige and give me a good rack.I'm not quite there yet, but when you approach the higher level of 9 ball the rack can be everything. Getting into a good habit of rack checking now is a good thing. RJ

bigshooter
01-18-2004, 12:57 PM
On the other side of the coin I've had people ask for reracks several times in a row a few times even though the rack was perfect just as a sharking method in an attempt to get me frustrated.
I never bad rack anyone on purpose.

houstondan
01-18-2004, 02:47 PM
first point, no, you can't just grab the rack and do it yourself. there's gotta be some kind of agreement about what's going on or you need to walk away.

if you want to just mess with someone who is nit-picking YOUR rack then rerack once. if they don't like it, hand them the rack to do it themselves then start nitpicking THEIR rack. that'll get y'all into the parking lot quick.

dan

Ralph S.
01-18-2004, 03:14 PM
Hey Sid, on the flip side, this fella could've read the book also and is just using it to his advantage in a less than honest way. I would suggest just going to the rack your own format. Saves arguements.

ryushen21
01-20-2004, 12:44 AM
This is actually a major problem with a lot of my intercollegiate tournaments. if we catch guys who are "shy racking", as we call it, intentionally, the get the big DQ. But on an occasion or two i have been able to take advantage of these situations. I took one guy for $30 playing 9 ball because he shy racked me and i got the nine to drop on the break all three times. after that, he just gave up. But i always request a re-rack if it comes out looking ugly and there is not a good spread at all.

justbrake
01-20-2004, 07:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> You have another option. The Racking Secrets booklet lets you read a rack for an advantage, using gaps in the rack. If I had someone being goofy with the rack, I'd study the rack for one of the scenarios from Joe's book, and make some wing balls. That'll frustrate the guy...sid <hr /></blockquote>

this guy plays with the rack same as his buddy does the same bullshit I watch them both and played them both they seem to mush the balls with all fingars so it's a loose rack , here I go, 10 racks with only 1 pocketed ball a baby could do better and i have a heller of break i've been playing since I was 13 and now 47 do you think I may have learn a few things in between thoose years, I let it go bye but the next time I meet,it'll be different or nothing .

Foxtrott
01-20-2004, 08:36 PM
First look at the guy then give him the biggest smile you can. I would Immiedently go to the center of the table and powerbrake them a few times . Turn the cue to the left or the right and start adjusting your brake little by little to the right.You will find that eventually after a few trials and errors the guy will start giving you a nice tight rack .I love it when they do it to me because Ill start dropping the money ball after a few tries.The more open they leave it for you the better chance you actually have at the money ball .If it was an 8 ball game use a straight pool safty break . That will get their attention .If it is nine ball go to the middle and drill the ball with old school throw as hard as you can . The throw will keep the cueball on the table .NOTE if you do this without a loose rack your gonna send the cueball off the table or a few feet in the air so look at the rack and then give the guy the biggest smile you can.Never let on your upset with it . Thats my suggestion .

Perk
01-21-2004, 07:46 AM
As far as the racking secrets book goes, this is what you get from the website's ordering form:

"JT Pro Products can no longer be ordered via the internet. Please contact Joe Tucker at
Snookers &amp; The Green Room, where he is the house pro.

Snookers' web site is http://www.snookersgreenroom.com.

Thanks."

This has been talked about before, I cannot recall if you can still get the book or not. It has had good reviews though.

Ken
01-21-2004, 08:02 AM
From previous threads I recall that the book is not available. It was suggested that someone make copies available and I believe Joe indicated that he would do so at some time in the future. He should have some idea of how that is going.
KenCT