PDA

View Full Version : Ethics Of Changing Your Racks

Sid_Vicious
01-18-2004, 09:07 AM
You opponent has read your racks and is making 9-balls, or else nearly getting whitie in the same corner pocket nearly every attempt. Is it ever ethical to "adjustt your racks, i.e. rack forward just a tad, in order to alter his relentless success with your racks? Seems like I hear once that if your opponent was really working your rack supremely that you should look to change something, and yet it seems a little devious and maybe unethical. BTW, we're gambling for money, not just fun pool.

Opinions???sid

Rod
01-18-2004, 10:26 AM
Sid,

I'd never adjust rack position unless the balls were not racking well. Having said that, tighten up the two balls below the 9, there must have been a gap if he's making the 9 a lot.

Rod

SPetty
01-18-2004, 11:45 AM
Didn't I read here that a rack is a legal rack as long as the base of the head ball is on the spot? (The point of that post I think I'm remembering is that it doesn't have to be centered on the spot.) So as long as you're giving a legal rack, I don't see a problem with adjusting it a little as long as it remains legal. It doesn't seem devious or unethical to me at all unless you're purposely giving a bad rack.

Popcorn
01-18-2004, 01:00 PM
You have to rack the balls on the spot. Sometimes dents will form that the balls fall into. The best you can do is to brush the table in the rack area good. Cleaning the balls may also make a legal change to what is happening. Check that the rack is straight also. You may be cocking the rack a little yourself without knowing it, causing the balls to go in.

woody_968
01-18-2004, 02:35 PM
Personally I wouldnt change my rack, but thats me. I do everything I can to make sure the balls are tight and as close to the spot as possible, moving up just enough to keep the one froze to the rack if there is a depretion in the spot. And I expect the same from my opponent.

Sid_Vicious
01-18-2004, 08:03 PM
That's exactly what I'm talking about, the spot has some real estate of it's own, and the forward resting point on that black demon seems to alter the nine's roll just enough. Do I do it? No...well I did one evening but I may re-think the practice unless more posters begin to support that idea. I swear someone here on this board stated once that you'd better "change" your racks if the opponent is pounding you with his break. I do intentionally pack them as tight as possible no matter what else I might consider doing, the balls zing in seemingly better with a semi loose rack(IMO) sid

Nightstalker
01-18-2004, 08:37 PM
I re-rack if an opponent notices a gap that I do not, and I expect the same when I break if I do not like the rack. I always will re-rack them automatically if I lift the rack and a ball moves noticably. I am cool like that. Many people I have noticed will not re-rack unless the opponent requests it. I think that as long as everyone is happy with the rack then that is all that matters.

TomBrooklyn
01-19-2004, 01:03 AM
How about getting a rag or towel and wiping all the balls clean. Maybe they'll throw a little differently then. Also, if you are not getting contact between all the balls, and a lot of times it is seems difficult to me to get full contact on all the balls, try to make the little gaps go away or be between some different balls.