PDA

View Full Version : Cue lenght?

bigshooter
01-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Why are all cues about the same lenght?
Stands to reason that a cue that fits a person 6'2" wouldn't fit say a petite woman barely over 5'
When you buy golf clubs, height, arm lenght and many other factors determine how the clubs are set up.
Wouldn't the balance point on a cue for example be perfect for one person but not right for another person depending on where they grip the cue, their arm lenght, etc?
I don't know nearly as much about others on this board regarding cue construction so maybe I'm all wet but it seems to me that a cue should be constructed differently for different people.

bigshooter
01-18-2004, 03:33 PM
Bump - Any thoughts?

Cueless Joey
01-18-2004, 03:53 PM
I would say 58 inch-length would fit a majority of the people out there. Cue are not like golf clubs because we don't deal with vertical length.
We can adjust bridge lenght and grip location easily.
A balance point of 18 1/2 to 19 " from the bottom suits most people fine.

Fred Agnir
01-18-2004, 04:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigshooter:</font><hr> Why are all cues about the same lenght?
<hr /></blockquote>Because the ball weight dictates it?

Fred &lt;~~~ guessing

tateuts
01-18-2004, 06:44 PM
The history of the length of cues is a long one. Now that we've settled on a 7' to 9' table and a 5'10" average human being size, at least we've narrowed it down to inches rather than feet. Long ago there used to be 5' cues, 6', 7' and even 8' cues.

How would you like to walk in to your local barroom with an 8' one piece pole?

You are right about length. I would put it like this - there is a minimum length for each person, and 58" seems to cover most of us. If a cue is too short, you cannot use it properly.

I play with a 60" cue - these days two inches over standard. 40 years ago that would have been 4" over. I wear a 35" sleeve and have a pretty normal stroke and bridge length.

To me, after meeting the minimum length a player needs, the length of the cue is all about balance, comfort, and personal taste. You want the weight of the cue properly distributed in your hands with your grip hand placed in a normal position on the wrap. A longer cue is not as stiff as a shorter cue (with similar thickness). Really stiff cues are not necessary for pool.

I think cue makers have overlooked the demand for longer cues. I sold a 60" Nova custom on E-Bay and people were fighting over it - they wanted a longer cue that was properly balanced - not just a longer shaft.

Chris