PDA

View Full Version : Do these auctions look fishy to you?

bigshooter
01-18-2004, 03:31 PM
Check these out.

Schon my uncle just happened to give me. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3655420967&category=21 212)

Joss I won in pool game. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21212&item=3655268 378)

This guy obviously knows little about pool or cues but happens to have a Schon his uncle gave him and a Joss he won in a pool game.
Yet his user name is topdollarcues
He might be legit but it seems fishy.

Popcorn
01-18-2004, 04:02 PM
Whenever someone is selling something and they say they don't know much about it, there is almost always something wrong. It is way of a disclaimer that they are not responsible if something wrong. After all they said they knew nothing about it. It is also suppose to arouse the greed in the buyer, thinking they may be getting something of extra value from an UN-knowledgeable seller. Weak amateur selling practices. Just call him on the phone and ask about the cues, people are not so cagey when they are no longer anonymous. Also O feedback seller, beware.

woody_968
01-18-2004, 05:29 PM
Thats what makes it hard on the internet, the guy could be tellin ya the truth, but I would be carefull /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

tateuts
01-18-2004, 05:58 PM
Yes, they look a litle fishy but my gut tells me they are legit.

Occasionally I will take a flyer on a poorly advertised item like these cues. Usually they bring in low prices because everyone is worried (rightfully) that the seller doesn't know what they're doing.

It's much better to buy something through a knowledgeable seller because they can spot problems with a cue - whereas people like this don't know what to look for.

When someone takes paypal, it's usually a pretty good sign that they are legit. If you take a flyer and buy an item through paypal on your credit card, you have several layers of protection. As a buyer, in my opinion, you are more protected than the seller when it comes to credit card transactions via paypal.

Now - as far as these cues go - the Schon at $300 might be a good buy if it's not warped - but it's not worth much more than that. I would ask him for a photo of the logo, however, although it does look like an older entry level Schon. Also, I would like to know what the black ring on the forearm is?

The Joss is probably $250 or $300 (good buy) to $400 (average buy) depending on its true condition. I couldn't find this design in my literature but the logo is from the 1980's - to early 1990's and I can almost guarantee the inlays are not ivory but are actually just maple windows in the ebony. Again, I would make a point that the cue is straight and I would ask to see a photo of the shaft collar - it should have the same "Joss" logo on it.

If the seller can answer these questions and provide you photos, he's probably legit.

recoveryjones
01-18-2004, 06:07 PM
I find it very hard to believe that two cues just fell into this fellows arms. If he was good enough to play such a high stakes money game so the other fellow had to give him a cue as payment, he's is not as ignorant as he is presenting himself regarding the price of a schon cue, let alone a Joss.Also if his Uncle must have known that he was an avid pool player or why would any uncle give a guy a cue , let alone a Schon cue.Since both cues are used who knows, they may just be stolen.Perhaps a good deal could be had from this guy if one is into buying potentially hot cues from a very suspicious seller.I also noticed that no one has put in a bid for either cue so far.....Good for them. This is more than fishy to me and it's definitly buyer beware.RJ

Ralph S.
01-18-2004, 07:58 PM
That is just about what I was thinking. He said they were given to him, but he wants enough money from the sale of them to cover his monitary losses. Almost makes you have to beleive that he knows a helluva lot more than he is letting on.

The only other realistic idea that could be, is that he is a beginner player that spent big and became bored or uninterested in the game and wants to recoop some of his money. All in all, I would be leary of buying from him.

ryushen21
01-20-2004, 12:38 AM
it seems to me that if these were legit there would be better pics of them. Schon has their name written on the butt cap and Joss has their logo and the cue serial number engraved on the joint. i would ask for those before i decided to put down a bid. But yeah, those auctions do seem a little too fishy for my tastes. when it comes to ebay for cues, i only buy through the verified sellers and those that have very good (near 100%)positive feedback.

tateuts
01-20-2004, 01:30 PM
OK - to prove you guys are a bunch of untrusting paranoid schizophreniacs, I went ahead and bid on the Joss. I didn't meet the reserve, fortunately. How's that for cojones?

Chris

bigshooter
01-20-2004, 01:42 PM
Hey I saw you have excellent feedback and a reputation for selling some good cues.
Got anything good for sale?

Anonamus
01-20-2004, 02:26 PM
You can see the logo on the Joss cue so I quess it's a Joss. But the picture of the Schon is horrible. I wonder why? One thing I did notice was the butt cap on the Schon is white, like a Scruggs. My Schon, and every one I've ever seen has a cream colored butt cap.

Maybe it was replaced.

tateuts
01-20-2004, 03:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigshooter:</font><hr> Hey I saw you have excellent feedback and a reputation for selling some good cues.
Got anything good for sale? <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for asking. I am mostly a collector of old cues and customs but I'm always horsetrading around. Right now I don't have anything interesting for sale.

Chris