PDA

View Full Version : Why is Earl such a Dick ?

bigbro6060
01-18-2004, 08:58 PM
I just watched Earl v SD (Steve Davis) at last year's World Champs and could not believe how much of a dick Earl was ! He complains that the crowd has a go at him but it is he who incites the crowd ! the crowd for the most part was very respectful, applauding when Earl made a good break or ran out. But the last rack, Earl missed a shot, smashed the table , smashed his cue down, ok fair enough. Then steve came to the table, missed quite an easy pot and earl yells out like a poof "Justice". What an idiot! i lost all respect for Earl, Steve did nothing to him, to yell out at an opponent's miss ,especially an opponent known for sportsmanship like Steve is just ridiculous, then he wonders why the crowd was having a go at him when he was finishing the runout!

Earl is such a bad amadassador for both the sport and Americans

nAz
01-18-2004, 09:40 PM
I hear it's cuase he has big balls /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

that was pretty bad of him though but what the hell the "sport" would be boring without him, I mean just look at UPA "Sanction" touneys /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TomBrooklyn
01-19-2004, 12:58 AM
Serious pool has very little trash talking, thats for sure. I guess it's not generally appropriate in a serious match.

Chris Cass
01-19-2004, 01:54 AM
Hi Bro,

You have to realize that Earl is a perfectionist. His mind won't let him to believe that it was him that ever makes mistakes. It's the equipment, the conditions or the crowd. In his mind he's not suppose to miss or lose for that matter. It's also a way of getting to the other player too. It's a case of the guy that will do what it takes to win. That's what Earl is all about, winning.

Take him or leave him. He is a champion player, not a grown up champion player though. Can't say too much. I too have gone off on occasion. Just not on camera is all. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~can't stand the sound of Earls voice, even when he's not mad. hahahha

Cueless Joey
01-19-2004, 02:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Bro,

You have to realize that Earl is a perfectionist. His mind won't let him to believe that it was him that ever makes mistakes. It's the equipment, the conditions or the crowd. In his mind he's not suppose to miss or lose for that matter. It's also a way of getting to the other player too. It's a case of the guy that will do what it takes to win. That's what Earl is all about, winning.

Take him or leave him. He is a champion player, not a grown up champion player though. Can't say too much. I too have gone off on occasion. Just not on camera is all. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~can't stand the sound of Earls voice, even when he's not mad. hahahha <hr /></blockquote>
Earl is a great champion and a great competitor.
He's even a grear person when not playing.
But, his total disrespect for his CO-PlAYERS is just inexcusable imo.
How would Earl feel if his opponent treated him like kaka?

nhp
01-19-2004, 05:24 AM
Were you there to watch the match live, or did you just see it on ESPN? I heard that the crowd was making some very rude comments to Earl during the entire match. Earl had nothing against Steve, with the exception of the small rivalry from the 2002 Mosconi Cup. Even on ESPN's showing of the WPC when Earl missed that one shot, the crowed cheered and shouted things at Earl, right after that Steve missed the same ball that Earl missed, and he shouted "justice!" as a retort towards the crowd. Even after the match he shook Steve's hand and told him something gesturing at the crowd, apparently saying he was not trying to be rude the Steve, but the crowd had gotten him hot. In Earl's next match he brought flowers to the female referee and apologized for his antics in his match with Steve Davis.

Bob_in_Cincy
01-19-2004, 10:55 AM
Chris,

I watched Earl completely self-destruct in a 3-1 loss in banks at DCC. But in this case, he was totally beating himself up. I mean over the top. Calling himself a loser, a terrible player, etc.. And he never let up on himself the whole match. It was actually very painful to watch. I have a tendency to do the same thing, &amp; at one point my wife turns to me and says "Does that look familiar?". I think I may be cured.

I was really starting to empathize with him, since like I said, I tend to beat myself up as well, but then right near the end of the match, he says to his opponent, "Well, you're gonna beat me, but you're not gonna win the tournament".

Oh well .........

Regards,
Bob In Cincy.

bigshooter
01-19-2004, 11:32 AM
I used to really hate Earl's personality but anymore I sort of like the guy, he's a little flaky but at least he's got personality and he's obviously passionate about pool.
John McEnroe was a whiney tennis player but he brought a lot to the game of tennis and Earl is the same way, love him or hate him, We sure spend a lot of time talking about him.

Tom_In_Cincy
01-19-2004, 12:13 PM
bigbro6060

I wonder if you would spend as much time posting about all the "great attitudes" of the "great players" over the last 20 years, instead of PICKING on Earl?

Buy posting this question on this forum, to me, you are no better than the heckling fans in the stands.

woody_968
01-19-2004, 01:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> bigbro6060

I wonder if you would spend as much time posting about all the "great attitudes" of the "great players" over the last 20 years, instead of PICKING on Earl?

Buy posting this question on this forum, to me, you are no better than the heckling fans in the stands.

<hr /></blockquote>

Tom I wonder if you would spend as much time posting about all the "great attituedes" of the "great people" on these boards, instead of PICKING on bigbro6060?

Buy posting this comment on this thread, to me, you are no better than bigbro6060, who is no better than the heckling fans in the stands. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
01-19-2004, 03:04 PM
Well Woody... from one Hoosier to another... POINT TAKEN..

I sit at the keyboard, Corrected and MUM...

Appologies to BigBro..

bigbro6060
01-19-2004, 05:30 PM
cmon guys, i'm all for personality and showing emotion but there are lines which should not be crossed and it is one thing getting upset if a ref makes a wrong decision (like Mr McEnroe), it's totally another acting like a jackass when an opponent misses, even McEnroe had the class not to do that!

ragbug74
01-19-2004, 06:29 PM
I agree with Clueless completely. I normally can't stand people who have Earl's disposition at the table. I'm all for a serious competitor and all, but he does cross the line from time to time at the table with his co-players. In defense of his "incidents" with fans during matches, I've personally seen and heard some of the things that people do to him while he's already fired up in the heat of battle. I don't know if I recall an incident when he gets into altercations with fans away from his matches. In fact, the several times I've encountered him away from the table at events, he is one of the nicest, most polite players I've ever met. Always happy to sign autographs, talk with you, etc. Knowing there is another side to Earl, I give him the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to his competitive drive. To play pool, or any type of world-class competitive "game", one must have some attitude. That is the edge that makes them great and gives them the inner confidence to win the big ones. Now, I'm not a psychologist, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but this is the way I look at Earl.

Tom_In_Cincy
01-19-2004, 10:56 PM
If you want support.... try matchroom sports' website and their forum.. there is tons of Earl Bashing there..

Chris Cass
01-20-2004, 12:39 AM
Hi Bob,

This game is hard on everyone mentally. Earl is no different than you or I. We all beat ourselves up in order to make things right again in our minds. Was talking to someone the other day and he said he's been lieing to himself for along time now. Telling himself he was a champion. He does this because if you believe you can, you will become. Makes perfectly good sence. However, anyone wanting to settle for their play is not going far in this game. That doesn't mean you can't patt yourself on the back too every once in awhile. You just can't get comfortable. You must keep the drive alive. I believe Earl does this. He is great player and puts everything out there, win or lose you have 100% of him in the game. He may bitch and moan but when it comes down to it. Would anyone like someone to down play your win by giving less than their best? Nope, neither of us.

Regards,

C.C.~~thanks for the honest reply, Bob. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Koenig
01-20-2004, 05:33 AM
dear BigBro, I was in Cardiff and I saw the game, I can tell you after the way the idiots in the audience behaved I was surprised Earl finished the game. I wouldn´t have.

I know it does´t show on the film but it was embarassing how the English/Welch guys and gals behaved.

I´m usually not a big fan of Earls person but in that match I was all for Earl. Having said that, I must say I felt real bad for Davis too.

Much can be said about the antics of Srtickland but that game is a really bad example. If I ´d have been in that game I would have done "a Cantona" (Man Uniteds kung-fu expert)

Ask anyone who was there.

Bob_in_Cincy
01-20-2004, 08:49 AM
Chris,

I agree with you about 99%. You must be confident to win (believing you're a champion), but you have to give yourself a break if your performance doesn't live up to that. This is really difficult for some people (including me) to do. I recently read something (wish I could remember where) that struck a chord with me. At the level of any given shot, paraphrasing here, "you must be absolutely confident that the shot will succeed, but you must not care if it doesn't".

I was watching Efren play "The Cannon" at DCC on Saturday. Several times I saw him shoot what looked like an incredible shot only to have it jaw in the pocket. Efren just smiled &amp; sat down to await his next chance. That's the kind of confidence I'd like to cultivate.

I replied not with a "yeah ok, but here's my point" attitude that I sometimes observe on many discussion groups, but simply to try to clarify what I was saying.
This whole attitude thing is important to me.

If you ever get up to Cincy, give me a yell. We'll do a few 12 oz. curls /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,
Bob

Chris Cass
01-20-2004, 09:28 AM
Bob,

You couldn't have said it any better.

Regards,

C.C.~~one curl and I'm apt to dropping the darn thing. LOL

JimS
01-20-2004, 09:30 AM
Earl has a strange way of motivating himself. For most of us his methods for self-motivation have been shown to be dysfunctional and unproductive. But...given his history, it appears to work for him. Of course there is no way of telling how much better his playing record might be, and have been, if he were to establish and maintain what is generally considered to be a more productive mind-set.

I think his behavior needs to improve and he could do that while continuing to use his choosen methods of self-motivation if he decided it was important. Apparently it's not important to him.

I think it's a question of whether he chooses to express respect for the world around him. He often chooses to not behave respectfully. So it goes.

SPetty
01-20-2004, 01:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> C.C.~~one curl and I'm apt to dropping the darn thing. <hr /></blockquote>That was one funny story and a great old (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=15028&amp; page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1) thread to visit if you have the time. Man, those were the good ol' days...

woody_968
01-20-2004, 04:17 PM
Man its gonna take me all night to read that thread, but it looks like it could be worth it!

#### leonard
01-20-2004, 04:42 PM
Chris just as long as he isn't a real ####.####

Chris Cass
01-21-2004, 12:49 AM
HAHAHAHAHA Our secret. LOL

C.C.

Fleece3
01-21-2004, 05:37 AM
Earl not a sportsman?!?!?!? I saw Earl playing Efren in a US open Final. Efren hit a table length cross table double bank shot sinking the 6 which was frozen on the bottom rail. Earl stood on his feet, applauded and promptly concided the match. Saying "I would rather lose a game to a shot like that than to win it shooting straight in". I do agree that he is vocal, however he simply say what we all think. If you what to really see Earl watch "The Color of Money" it is a race to 120 played over 3 days. you get a much better view of Earl. He is a prefectionist. He arrived early and trimmed the table to the correct condition. If you beat Earl he will applaud you. I have NEVER seen him go off on an opponent unless it was REALLY deserved. Mainly he barks at himself, and gives back to the crowd what they give him. If you want him to be quiet...you be quiet. Start heckling him and you are in trouble.

JDB
01-21-2004, 07:03 AM
I believe it was a Camel Tour Final and not a US Open Final, but you are right about what he said after the match.

Also, I will have to take a look, but I don't think he conceded the match directly after that shot, but he did concede the 9 ball in the match. I think Efren did make the 7 and 8 prior to Earl conceding.

DoomCue
01-21-2004, 07:26 AM
Ahh, Efren's famous "Z" kick.... Actually, the shot wasn't made in either the US Open final or a CPBT final, it was a Sands Regency final (Sands Regency Open 21, I think). Great hill-hill match (13-12, I believe). Earl didn't concede the match until Efren got shape on the nine. You can get it from Accu-Stats, and IIRC, the announcers are Jim Rempe and of course, Billy Incardona. And yes, Earl does show some great sportsmanship at the end of that match, and some of his comments afterwards are humbling, warm, honest, and funny. Shame he can't be like that all the time....

-djb

ragbug74
01-21-2004, 08:16 AM
OK, it sounds like there are many of us in agreement.....shall we change the Subject of this thread to "Why are some people such Dicks to Earl?"

I'm glad there are others out there who look at his entire personality, not just "bad" Earl.

In a world of dollars and cents, wins and losses, successes and failures, it's hard to argue against his accomplishments.

I'm nowhere knowledgeable enough to pick a "best player ever" in this game. In fact, considering things such as the evolution of the games, improvements in equipment, etc., it's probably impossible to pick ONE player. I would have to say that I'm sure Earl would easily be in the top 10, maybe top 5, of all-time.

Like him or not, his numbers are hard to argue.