PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on Bridge & "Shortie" Cue

logixrat
01-18-2004, 09:45 PM
As some of you might remember, I recently bought a used table and got it setup. I've been playing on it for about a week or so, and one of the things I noticed is the room I put it in is just a foot or so too short on 2 sides. Hopefully this will be a short term problem as the current house is for sale, and the new house will have an upstairs game room more than big enough (20' x 35').

This really hasn't bothered me too much, as only shots right up against the rail are a pain. Consequently I've been playing better ball position. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif However, this past weekend was the first big gathering of other people to play, and we all found ourselves in need of a short cue from time to time. Also, a couple of times a bridge would have been a real life saver.

I'll be honest, I'm not looking to spend a fortune on either item, but feel they are necessities to improve overall game quality. Can anyone make a good recommendation? Also, any online shops you recommend?

Thanks!

WaltVA
01-18-2004, 10:43 PM
Check out www.billiardsexpress - they have some shorties called "Trouble Shooters" that run 24" ($27.50)to 48"($36.50) and are weighted to have a "full-cue feel." They also have a selection of bridges and bridge heads.Have gotten good service from them in the past.
HTH,
Walt in VA

logixrat
01-19-2004, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the info. I will give them a call tomorrow in regards to the short cues. I did find out that a local poolhall sells some short cues pretty cheap ($10), but I'm assuming they are just chopped off and then a new rubber placed on the end. Price is good, but anyone played with one to verify the quality? Also, from that website, here is a bridge head I had considered getting:

http://www.billiardsexpress.com/BRIDGESspinelli.html

A few of the poolhalls also sell those locally. Just unsure of the quality. I rarely use bridges cause I don't like them, but the few times I have they have been brass. Still the guys at the poolhalls really push these plastic ones. Again, any thoughts on quality?

Chris Cass
01-19-2004, 02:00 AM
Hi Logixrat,

If you play tourneys or outside pool then a thought might be to buy a break jump cue. That way when you move to the new place you won't have a cue you won't use. Then again if you have company and let the kids play, you'll still need a shorty. JAT

Regards,

C.C.

Fred Agnir
01-19-2004, 07:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote logixrat:</font><hr>

This really hasn't bothered me too much, as only shots right up against the rail are a pain. Consequently I've been playing better ball position. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif However, this past weekend was the first big gathering of other people to play, and we all found ourselves in need of a short cue from time to time. Also, a couple of times a bridge would have been a real life saver.

I'll be honest, I'm not looking to spend a fortune on either item, but feel they are necessities to improve overall game quality. Can anyone make a good recommendation? Also, any online shops you recommend?

Thanks! <hr /></blockquote>I bought a shorter cue by Stealth or Players (can't remember) for my daughter. It's weighted and balanced such that I can run racks with it. In other words, it's still a comfortable enough stick to play with.

Fred &lt;~~~ racks, balls, what's the difference?

Wally_in_Cincy
01-19-2004, 08:18 AM
I have a 36" and a 48" troubleshooter. I would recommend them.

Hawleys sells them here (http://www.billiardstore.com/troubleshooter/troubleshooter.htm)

Iowashark
01-19-2004, 11:07 AM
As far as bridges go, if you use one regularly I would recommend getting one with rubber 'feet' that protects the cloth. Most brass bridges come with these but if for some reason there are bridges that don't have the 'feet' I wouldn't get them. Jm2c