PDA

View Full Version : Lessons

jjinfla
02-19-2002, 07:57 AM
For 99% of people who take up the wonderful game of pool the ONLY way to advance above the mediocre stage is to take lessons. This can be one-on-one with a good instructor, or with a group, or by video or reading books on the game. Without lessons you are doomed to commit the same errors over and over again. (And what is that an indication of?)With that in mind I signed up with Ray Martin, and his trusty sidekick Jay, for their lesson plans. I received my first lesson, and from what I have seen I have no regrets. It is well written, logical, easy to follow and understand. It will be like having Ray Martin right here with me. And I will garner information that he has learned over the years. And I am fortunate to be able to communicate with Jay if any question comes up plus I see Ray play in local tournaments around the Tampa area. Life just gets better and better! Thanks Jay for being the force that is bringing this wealth of information to us. I think of the greats from the past who took their secrets to the grave. Not so much that they didn't want to share them, just that the medium to disseminate the info wasn't there. Jake

Doctor_D
02-19-2002, 08:11 AM
I could not agree with you more! Even the most gifted and talented athletes have coaches to develop their game and their skills. On December the 29th of 2000 I picked up a Pool Cue for the first time and with-in a week was invited to compete on an APA league team. Enjoying the game, as well as early successes, I decided to take lessons from a professional. Thanks to the links on the WPBA Website at the time to then President Allison Fisher, I was introduced to Gerda Hofstatter. My initial lesson with Gerda was on January the 19th, 2001. From that initial lesson, I have maintained a schedule with her of Two lessons per month at an average of Two Hours per lesson. My basic skills and my abilities on the table developed quickly and, in addition to my APA Leagues, I started competing on the North East Women's Regional Tour, which is a sanctioned regional tour of the WPBA, in April of 2001. Lessons with Gerda, coupled with an average of 20 hours of drills and practice each week and tournament play, have worked to develop a respectable game after a mere 14 Months with a Cue in my hand.

So, with all that having been said, quality lessons from a qualified professional, coupled with diligence and practice, will prove priceless to anyone's game.

Dr. D.

jjinfla
02-19-2002, 08:30 AM
I envy you! You are fortunate in living in an area that is replete (is that a word) with fine, quality instructors at your beck and call. And I'll venture to guess that when you are at the practice table your problems from your company vanish, and/or your mind analyzes them to produce a solution. Maybe you can write off your lesson fees as a business consulting fee, or therapeutic/relaxing session. LOL. Jake

Patrick
02-21-2002, 07:03 AM
Maybe I shouldn't give away the secrets?
All the players took their secrets to the grave for a reason. Maybe so they could easily be the best again in their next life.

http://vp3.0catch.com/lessons.htm

Patrick

02-21-2002, 09:46 AM
Not this guy again!! This kid just won't quit! Nobody's buying, get it?!