PDA

View Full Version : New Felt

homepc
01-19-2004, 03:14 PM
Can someone please tell me if there is a good side and bad side to felt? Is there really one side that should go face up?

Thanks

Troy
01-19-2004, 05:23 PM
It ain't FELT, dammit..... It's CLOTH.

logixrat
01-19-2004, 05:56 PM
Hehe, you have done and gone and committed the royal sin of calling pool cloth...felt. It ain't good, but you'll survive, after a few people tell you about it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyhow, to answer the initial question...NO, I don't think it matters which way the cloth is installed. Both sides should be equal in terms of quality. And if you haven't already bought any...may I suggest Simonis. It's what the pros play on, and it's considered to be the best!!

woody_968
01-19-2004, 06:57 PM
Yes there is a difference on what side goes up, even with Simonis. Most places you order from, at least any I have, have a sticker marking the side that goes up just to be sure you get it right.

Another suggestion as far as type of cloth would be Championship, as long as you get their tour edition. I have it and it plays great! Got mine from billiards express I believe, they had the best price I could find and service was good.

Troy
01-19-2004, 07:02 PM
If you get Simonis, the UP side (playing side) has the Simonis name.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote logixrat:</font><hr> Hehe, you have done and gone and committed the royal sin of calling pool cloth...felt. It ain't good, but you'll survive, after a few people tell you about it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyhow, to answer the initial question...NO, I don't think it matters which way the cloth is installed. Both sides should be equal in terms of quality. And if you haven't already bought any...may I suggest Simonis. It's what the pros play on, and it's considered to be the best!! <hr /></blockquote>

logixrat
01-19-2004, 09:50 PM
Talk about opening mouth, and inserting foot! Oh well, live and learn right. Obviously I was wrong about their not being a difference, but can someone explain the difference in the 2 sides?

homepc
01-20-2004, 07:32 AM
Sorry about that!! I'm new to the terms! Can anyone tell me how to determine what side of the CLOTH faces up? I dont have a sticker or a name on it. Is there a way by just looking at it?

Thanks and sorry for the "FELT" comment!

Wally_in_Cincy
01-20-2004, 08:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote homepc:</font><hr> .. sorry for the "FELT" comment!

<hr /></blockquote>

No problem. It's sort of an inside joke on this board.

I can't answer your question but perhaps a more knowledgable poster can.

houstondan
01-20-2004, 08:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> It ain't FELT, dammit..... It's CLOTH.

<hr /></blockquote>

no, felt is ok. the thing about language is that the experts who write the dictionaries follow, not lead, common usage. the word "felt" has been used, by regular people, long enough now (hundred years or so) that the definition has effectively expanded.

itsa pisser, aint it?

dan...by the way, spellcheck allows "aint". just wanted to put an appostrophe before the "t". that's dumb. what's aint a contraction for?

Iowashark
01-20-2004, 09:43 AM
I think it would make a difference if we knew what kind of cloth you had. There are some of the cheaper brands out there that have a definite nap on one side. Do you remember what brand you bought.

And don't worry about the felt comment, there's usually about one newbie a week that makes that error. I remember Fast Larry jumping on someone's case about calling One Pocket -- One Hole.

Someone needs to write a Pool Jargon dictionary.

Troy
01-20-2004, 09:47 AM
Installation ... When installing your cloth, Simonis fabric is to lay Logo Side Up, or the smoother side up.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote homepc:</font><hr> Sorry about that!! I'm new to the terms! Can anyone tell me how to determine what side of the CLOTH faces up? I dont have a sticker or a name on it. Is there a way by just looking at it?

Thanks and sorry for the "FELT" comment!

<hr /></blockquote>

JimS
01-20-2004, 09:53 AM
I believe that "aint" is a contraction for "s-not" /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif or....in the vernacular snot /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm gunna practice samore. This figurin out the lingo stuff is work! Took me a year to learn the various proper applications for "fade" and after listening to Mataya the other night...well....

SPetty
01-20-2004, 01:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> I believe that "aint" is a contraction for "s-not" /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif or....in the vernacular snot<hr /></blockquote>Decades ago, my siblings and I around the dinner table ended up in hysterics because we were arguing something and ended up yelling "Snot" and "Stew" back and forth at each other! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

bigshooter
01-20-2004, 01:20 PM
I didn't know Simonis went logo side up either til I saw it that way at the Billiard Palace.

homepc
01-20-2004, 01:23 PM
Ok, well, I'm a little reluctant to tell you the cloth I bough because I might get chastised for it being cheap, but price was a factor. Anyway, I bought Forstmann Billiard Cloth, 19 oz, Unbacked from Mueller.com. Actually, I really have not looked at the cloth that much yet because I'm not ready to cloth the table yet. So, I donít really know if there is any markings or not. I assume there is not so that's why I asked if there is a difference and how I could tell the difference between the good and the bad side.

Thanks

Ray

moblsv
01-20-2004, 01:43 PM
Yes, I just went through this with my new table. The installer put the cloth on upside down. The Simonis cloth has the name stamped on the face side. If you look close you will see that the face is tight knit without a fuzzy nap. The botton is not as tight and fuzzy. I know one other brand I looked at had a colored line printed around the edge of the cloth to mark it as the face.

bigshooter
01-20-2004, 01:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote homepc:</font><hr> Ok, well, I'm a little reluctant to tell you the cloth I bough because I might get chastised for it being cheap, but price was a factor.

Thanks

Ray
<hr /></blockquote>

At least you have a table! I don't even have that right now.
There is nothing wrong with a less expensive cloth its just that this board is filled with fanatics and we all like certain things but if you are not sure I would call Muellers and ask them, I have dealt with them through the years and they have always given me great customer service.

homepc
01-20-2004, 01:50 PM
Thanks Big! Thats exactly what I did! I called Mueller and asked them about the cloth I purchased. They told that it was non-directional cloth and that it does not matter what side goes up or down. Thanks for everyone advice....

Ray

logixrat
01-20-2004, 06:53 PM
Hehe, I'm so cheap I re-used the cloth of a used table I recently bought. This stuff is so thick I think it would be fine to call it felt, but at least I get to shoot some ball. Also, I know when I get moved to my final house, I am going to pony up and get the Simonis. It is expensive, but it lasts about 3x as long as the cheap stuff. When you think about it that way, it isn't so expensive.