PDA

View Full Version : pool hall in downtown Minneapolis

Iowashark
01-20-2004, 10:24 AM
I'll be in Minneapolis for the weekend and I was wondering if any of you from there could recommend a good pool hall. I've been to playpool.com and found several near my hotel, but I was wondering if any of you had been to any of these to validate their quality. Thanks in advance.

JDB
01-20-2004, 10:46 AM
Can't help you with the downtown area; however, Shooters in Burnsville and Billiard Street Cafe in Fridley are very good. Both have 30 - 40 9 foot tables that are very well maintained.

woody_968
01-20-2004, 10:58 AM
You may want to call the pool halls they have listed on the playpool site. I really like their site, but know at least one of the ones listed in Terre Haute has closed down. I have emailed them about it but do not know if they updated the site yet.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-20-2004, 11:36 AM
That site may not have been updated for quite a while. For every city you'll find at least a couple of halls that are now defunct.

SPetty
01-20-2004, 01:46 PM
You'd probably have some good luck checking out the forums at www.mnbilliards.com. (http://www.mnbilliards.com.) The folks there are friendly and helpful, especially Kelly.

Sam
01-20-2004, 04:12 PM
City Billiards is at 25 N. 4th Street. Probably the best one downtown, though there isn't much competition. It's about 2 blocks north of Target Center, just a few steps off 1st Avenue, if that helps you. I thought I heard playing there was free before 6 p.m. on weekdays.

Keep in mind that I've been playing less than a year, so I'm probably not a very authoritative source for info. I rate City Billiards as "adequate."

The next nearest place I'd recommend is Jimmy's Pro Billiards, run by Jimmy Wetch. 4040 Central Avenue NE. MapQuest says it's a 5.21 mile drive from downtown.

Practically every other recommendation would be out in the 'burbs. Such as City Billiards recommended above, which is a fine establishment (I play there most weeks).

Iowashark
01-20-2004, 04:18 PM
Thanks Sam, That was the one that showed up closest to my hotel and was wondering about that. Do you know by chance if it's connected to the skywalk? And I'm not really looking for competition because I'm going up with my brother and we just like to beat up on each other when we play. So 'action' isn't my concern here, it's quality of tables, food, drinks, etc...not to mention reasonable prices. My brother and I will be in there late afternoon to early evening on Saturday if you want to stop by and shoot some. Just look for the 2 guys who look a lot alike (we're twins).

Sam
01-21-2004, 09:13 AM
http://www.citybilliards.com/ gives prices, hours, etc.

I believe the balls roll true there, the pockets are not very tight, and the cushions could be livelier. It's not a big enough establishment to where you can be very far from the bar, but the waitresses are sometimes good at coming around to tables. It is located in a part of downtown that is not dead on Saturday evenings.

The Skyway is not quite connected to City Billiards -- comes no closer than a block or two.

http://www.startribune.com/stonline/html/special/skyway/intro.html

I'll guess you're coming from the direction of the Radisson or Marriott. If so, you wouldn't be gaining much taking the Skyway. Just walk out of the west side of the City Center, and it's no more than 3 blocks way.

If you do take the Skyway, I recommend the "long way" which goes behind Target Center. The more direct route is likely closed on Saturday.

[just noticed that above I said I played at City Billiards most weeks, I meant to say Billiard Street]

I see you're from Iowa? I'd be interested in recommendations for where to play there. My sister lives in Washington, which is SE.

My guess is there isn't anyplace close to her -- but the route I take is usually thru Cedar Rapids, Waterloo, Iowa City, etc. Thanks.

Iowashark
01-21-2004, 09:36 AM
If you're going to southeast Iowa I would highly recommend Whitey Walker's in Burlington.

Chris Cass
01-21-2004, 09:37 AM
Hi Iowa,

That brought back memories. Me and Rocketman went to a bar called Moby Dicks. 2 floors and a line of people waiting to play. They were lined up like cattle and we made about $600. for the night at $2.-$5.00 a game. LOL Don't know if there still there? This was like 1962. HAHAHAHA Man, am I that old?

Regards,

C.C.