PDA

View Full Version : felt it is!

houstondan
01-20-2004, 04:22 PM
apparently, y'all have dis-cussed this subject some but i'm officially a "newbie" and, as such, a can get away with beating dead horses.

waited to buy my copy of "hustler days" till jake was in town doin a little talk and signing books at a local dinner-movie house showing the hustler. you know the real one with gleason. jake did a real good job introducing the movie and talking about the whole pool room culture etc. you should have seen him, all in black with the gotee and leather. i would believe he knew what the inside of a pool room looked like.i bought some books and are giving some away as presents.

anyway, i just started reading it and his writing style is just a pure-d pleasure. very fine. thought i'd share a bit that you might like. this is luther lassiter, talking:

" it seemed as though the place had a special sort of smell to it that you could breathe. like old green-felt tables and brass spitoons and those dark polished woods. then a bluish haze of smoke and sweet pool chalk and, strongest of all, a kind of manishness. all thru me, i could feel something else, i didn't know what, but it seemed like a fine, lazy tension in the air. i was thirteen and that did it."

so was i and if lassiter called it bermuda grass then that's what it would be.

dan

Wally_in_Cincy
01-20-2004, 04:33 PM
considering the source of the quote and having a quorum of two in attendance we officially retire the felt v. cloth controversy to the brass spittoon of history.

http://www.prodraw.net/animation/images/gavel_t.gif

Troy
01-20-2004, 04:38 PM
OK Dan, so be it. If we're all stuck in "'60's talk", that is... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy

houstondan
01-20-2004, 05:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> OK Dan, so be it. If we're all stuck in "'60's talk", that is... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy <hr /></blockquote>

well, bling bling to you!

dan....nope...not a clue /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

houstondan
01-20-2004, 05:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> considering the source of the quote and having a quorum of two in attendance we officially retire the felt v. cloth controversy to the brass spittoon of history.

mostly, i just wanted to get that lassiter quote in...it is so good.

dan
http://www.prodraw.net/animation/images/gavel_t.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Tom_In_Cincy
01-20-2004, 07:01 PM
hdj,

Considering you as a 'reference' for a lot of pool related facts.. for you to let a book and a qoute from an old "Hall of Fame" geezer.. they called him "Whimpy".... change your opinion on this Major controversy after all these years... I don't know what the world is coming to /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Now I have to read the book..

houstondan
01-20-2004, 11:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> hdj,

Considering you as a 'reference' for a lot of pool related facts.. for you to let a book and a qoute from an old "Hall of Fame" geezer.. they called him "Whimpy".... change your opinion on this Major controversy after all these years... I don't know what the world is coming to /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Now I have to read the book..

<hr /></blockquote>

boy, i musta missed something good while i was gone. i sense a certain energy in the air on this subject. in order to avoid blood on the felt, i pass the subject.

i think i've heard a general concensus over the years that whimpy was the best all-time 9-baller and that jersey red was the best at one pocket but what about rudolf? a case can be made that he was the best thing that happened to pool back then. mosconi sure didn't carry the show on wide world of sports. and, naturally, the whole thing was a big hustle.

you'll really enjoy the book. i bought a bunch and gave one to my team cap.t tonight. my playing-time is assured. (unless my average slipps)

dan

JimS
01-21-2004, 07:25 AM
I enjoyed it almost as much as Playing Off The Rail. Don't know what will measure up to that...but this was close.

The nubby cloth is what I remember from the ph days of my youth, circa 1957 or so, and that's probably why I object to Simonis being labeled felt. It's just too nice to be referred to in such terms. Kinda like putting Snap-On in the same catagory as dime store tools. (their saying..."what the hell is a dime store?").....or Diamond in the same catagory as ...well maybe I'd better defer from using other brand names here but you get my drift.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-21-2004, 07:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr>...boy, i musta missed something good while i was gone....<hr /></blockquote>

You missed a lot, and all of it was not necessarily good /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ever hearda fast larry?

WaltVA
01-21-2004, 10:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> hdj,

.... they called him "Whimpy"....
<hr /></blockquote>
Actually, it was "Wimpy," after a character in the "Popeye" comic strip who was always trying to mooch the price of a hamburger from other characters. Story I heard was burgers were Lassiter's food of choice at one point in his career.

When he was operating in Norfolk,VA, he came over to Hampton to play an "exhibition" in one of the local action rooms, a little tiny place that had people standing in the doorways to get a look. I managed to get in, and there was nothing "wimpy" in his game or the matching up after his exhibition. Still remember it - great night, and a lot of cash went back to Norfolk with him.

Walt in VA

Tom_In_Cincy
01-21-2004, 12:44 PM
Funny,, the story I've always heard about how he got his nickname.. Mr. Lassiter was always complaining about being too tired, too sick, too old or 'whatever' whinning about playing.. then step up and either run 10 racks or 100 balls.. He was called a Whimp.. and eventually Whimpy..

Wally_in_Cincy
01-21-2004, 01:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Funny,, the story I've always heard about how he got his nickname.. Mr. Lassiter was always complaining about being too tired, too sick, too old or 'whatever' whinning about playing.. then step up and either run 10 racks or 100 balls.. He was called a Whimp.. and eventually Whimpy.. <hr /></blockquote>

Tom,

Like Walt said, according to the book he was called Wimpy after the burger-eating charachter because he liked his chow. He was the Kid Delish of his era, just not as wide /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

But you are right that he was a hypochondriac. But he did have half his stomach removed due to ulcers.

WaltVA
01-21-2004, 01:23 PM
Don't know which story about the source of the nickname is correct, but I'm positive about the spelling; the posters all said "Luther 'Wimpy' Lassiter," and he left with the cash from all the local shortstops.

Walt in VA

Wally_in_Cincy
01-21-2004, 01:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote WaltVA:</font><hr> ...the posters all said "Luther 'Wimpy' Lassiter," and he left with the cash from all the local shortstops.

Walt in VA <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

he was in the coast guard in WWII. made a fortune in Norfolk during the war /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif