PDA

View Full Version : Home table

sigep1967
01-21-2004, 09:45 AM
After being away from pool for about 10 years I am again interested so I am closing in the garage to make a game room. What is the best home table out there?

JPB
01-21-2004, 10:02 AM
A Verhoeven heated slate billiard table or a Gold Crown. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Unfortunately I don't have room in my house for both of those or one of those. About a year ago I found myself in your position after not playing for a long time. We got a house w/ a basement big enough for a 4X8. Wife insisted on a home table not a commercial style. I am also in the sticks so selection is a little harder. But I did the right thing and just went to the Brunswick dealer. For home tables, Brunswick is the only brand I would consider really. I have no interest in the other home brands. Some will recomment Diamond, and I am sure the 9' pro tables are great. But they aren't easily available where I am for home use. I like having the bigger company w/ more distributors. And brunswicks have always been the standard and the quality is good. Maybe it rose and fell at various times, but the quality is good now. So I got a 4X8 bruns that went with the house well enough, had it covered in championship 3030 and threw a set of centennials out on it. Plays nice. Now if my wife would just get us rich so my game room could hold both the verhoeven and the 9' bruns...

woody_968
01-21-2004, 10:11 AM
If you do a search you will find many oppinons on tables. There was a current thread with many good oppinions - think it was called should I buy it. Brunswick is a great name, and in the gold crown have some of the best tables ever made, although you will get many mixed oppinions on their home tables.

Diamond is buy far the best in my oppinion, but there are many out there that would play fine depending on what your level of play is or how far you want to go.

Kasson has gotten many good reviews, I have an old AMF that plays very well. Mine is a commercial type table, and for pure performance you will have trouble finding a "home" table that would perform as well as the commercial lines.

Of course these are just my own warped personal oppinions.

sigep1967
01-21-2004, 01:30 PM
Is the Gold crown the only good table Brunswick makes? My wife will probably not like the looks of it. Do their other tables play differently?

Carlton31698
01-21-2004, 02:06 PM
Brunswick makes a lot of different style home tables. C.L. Baily sp? makes a good home table too.

sigep1967
01-21-2004, 03:14 PM
we have a cl bailey dealer here. So their tables are pretty good? We also have a Connelly dealer but i really didn't like the construction.

JPB
01-21-2004, 08:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sigep1967:</font><hr> Is the Gold crown the only good table Brunswick makes? My wife will probably not like the looks of it. Do their other tables play differently? <hr /></blockquote>

No, GC's are not the only bruns. Other brunswicks play fine. GC is the best and was designed for commercial application. So some of the things you won't notice that a table mechanic or room owner would notice. I am not a table mech. or room owner fwiw. I have just talked to them @ various times. You will be happy w/ a brunswick home table I bet. I happened to stop by the local bruns dealer the other day. He had a display of the gibson table. Man I like the way that looks. It was more expensive and didn't go w/ the house as well as the one I got. But I like those. Sweet looking table.

logixrat
01-21-2004, 10:35 PM
Sorry, but I can't jump on the Brunswick band wagon. While I agree the Gold Crown is a superior table, I have found most of their lower to mid-range priced tables are surviving solely on their good name. Don't take my word for it, but rather go to a Brunswick dealer and truly inspect how the frames are made. Then go to a Kasson dealer and look at their frames. It is like night and day.

Hands down I would recommend the Kasson over the Brunswick. I looked at The Bentley model here locally, and they had it priced for $1900, which included delivery/setup &amp; a beginner set of cues/balls. This would have been the table I bought if I had the extra money, but I found a used Golden West for about 1/3 of the price and went that way instead. The GW is a good table, but not as nice as the Kasson. By the way, here is a link to the Kasson website:

http://www.kassonpooltables.com

Other brands I have heard really good things about are the Diamond Pro's and Gandy's. I have no first hand experience shooting on them, nor even seeing one in person...but I have yet to hear someone knock them (unless you get the "pro cut" pockets on the Diamond Pro - I hear their tight tolerances will drive you nuts, yet improve your game).

Thinking back to the Gold Crown...they make some with the black veneer and chrome caps, and they look S-L-I-C-K!!! I've only seen a few of them, but in my opinion look much cleaner. I couldn't think of a better way to fill your converted garage, but I guess it just depends how big the garage is to hold a 9' table.

sigep1967
01-22-2004, 08:45 AM
Yeah I checked out their website. Kasson looks like a well made table and the prices are good too. How can they make an all wood table so cheap? Anybody else had any experience with the Kasson line?

pittpanther
02-01-2004, 02:18 PM
I too would like to hear from existing Kasson owners for their perspective(s).