PDA

View Full Version : A word on tips

TedKaufman
01-21-2004, 12:25 PM
For various reasons, I stopped playing pool for almost 10 years. But I'm back!

How things change ... 10 years ago I had never even heard of a layered tip. I had used Le Pro for years, but when I bought my Southwest, at the urging of Jerry Franklin, I tried a Triangle. Wow--who knew! I discovered the Triangle is the tip Le Pro wished it was. I loved it.

10 years later, I still think the Triangle is a great tip. But I couldn't resist the lure of something new. What's with these layered tips...?

So I now have layered tips on two of my shafts and a Triangle on a third. The layered tips are Everest and Talisman WB. Both are medium. Of the two, I prefer the Everest, probably because the sound and feel it delivers is most like the Triangle I'm familar with. The Talisman WB is a hellava nice tip, though. Both layered tips hold their shape well.

However, contrary to claims like 'shape it once and never touch it again,' they do require maintenence. Both tips required regular reshaping for the first 3 weeks of shooting. In fact, in that respect, I don't feel they have any advantage over Triangle. That said, after a few weeks of play and several regroomings, both tips seem to be very stable and I don't anticipate much more than an occassional touch up. Again, though, the Triangle, after the same seasoning period, requires little if any maintenence, either. So, honestly, I don't see much advantage to the layered tips in this respect.

How do they play? I love the feel of the Everest tip. It's firm without being excessively hard and it holds chalk very well. I'm having more trouble making my mind up on the Talisman WB. One day it seems spongy; the next it feels responsive. I like the sound, but it has a different feel than anything I've ever used. It almost feels like some sort of plastic. The Talisman WB seemed to spread more readily in early use than the Everest, requiring more frequent sidewall grooming. Both tips grab very well and I'm comfortable working the outside of the cueball with either tip.

I've found myself using the Everest tipped shaft more than either the Talisman WB or Triangle. Partly because it has a stiffer taper and it's my favorite piece of wood. Grudgingly, I guess, I'm beginning to accept the Everest might be a slight advancement over the Triangle. The difference is not at all dramatic, however. These are all good tips and the differences are more a matter of feel than performance. I would like to point out, though, that anyone who buys a layered tip of any brand expecting to 'draw the ball twice as far,' etc, is in for disappointment. I would say layered tips offer evolutionary--not revolutionary--advancement.

Now, what to do with the 6 new Moori's I have sitting on the sidelines...?

Sid_Vicious
01-21-2004, 12:50 PM
First I want to ask if I missed the fact that you tried the Moori tips. If not, then try one. The Everest was stated here on this lately as being a "LePro like" layered tip, only more consistent and refined. I can see why you would like that tip instead of the WB. What grade of Moori tips do you own???sid

bluewolf
01-21-2004, 01:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> First I want to ask if I missed the fact that you tried the Moori tips. If not, then try one. The Everest was stated here on this lately as being a "LePro like" layered tip, only more consistent and refined. I can see why you would like that tip instead of the WB. What grade of Moori tips do you own???sid <hr /></blockquote>

My first tips were talismans. Then I had a moori. My blackheart had a sumo wb, and my scruggs has triangles. They were all good imo, but the moori seemed to require less maintenance over time but then it costed a lot more. If a person is prone to not want to be messing with their tips, it seemed to be a good choice.

And I guess if you are a pro and play 8 or so hours a day, a tip which does not require as much maintenance is worth the money.

But for me, playing several times a week for 1-2 hours, it did not make much difference.

I kind of lliked the harder tips, but considering the impact time on the cb and that I am not a pro or a trick shot artist, that did not matter that much either. What matters to me is the stroke and the cue balance, rather than the tip

Laura

TedKaufman
01-21-2004, 03:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> First I want to ask if I missed the fact that you tried the Moori tips. If not, then try one. The Everest was stated here on this lately as being a "LePro like" layered tip, only more consistent and refined. I can see why you would like that tip instead of the WB. What grade of Moori tips do you own???sid <hr /></blockquote>

I have not tried the Moori tips yet. The tips I have are Moori III M. I have not decided which tip to cut off in order to install the Moori, so as yet they sit in a box. I really can't imagine a Moori being that much better than the Everest, though.

I had read the comments about Everest being like a Le Pro, but I do not agree. If anything, the Everest is more like the Triangle in feel and performance. I find Le Pro softer and they require much more grooming. Moreover, Le Pro tips are (were?) wildly inconsistent--you never knew what you were going to get. The Triangle tips have been very consistent.

woody_968
01-21-2004, 04:13 PM
I think triangle tips are great for the money. As far as lepros, I just ordered a box for customers, but will be ordering a box of triangles this week as many are switching. I will be trying a moori or talisman soon /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Troy
01-21-2004, 04:13 PM
I would tend to disagree that "Triangle is the tip Le Pro wished it was" for the simple reason that the Triangle is a harder tip. I completely agree that Le Pro's are inconsistent tip to tip.

I would strongly recommend trying a Talisman Pro series available in Soft, Medium and Hard. I have installed many for various customers with complete satisfaction and have more than a few converted ex-Moori users. Compared to Talisman WB, the Pro is slightly "softer".

Troy...~~~ Welcome back after a 10-year sabbatical

woody_968
01-21-2004, 04:16 PM
If ya really dont know what to do with the Moori's ya have in the box you can send a few my way /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike D2
01-21-2004, 04:23 PM
I disagree, Ive talked to many cue makers and they say that talisman are very inconsistent. I like talisman tips don't get me wrong but your best bet would probably be the Moori's

stickman
01-21-2004, 05:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TedKaufman:</font><hr>
However, contrary to claims like 'shape it once and never touch it again,' they do require maintenence. Both tips required regular reshaping for the first 3 weeks of shooting. <hr /></blockquote>

Believe it or not Ted, after two or three weeks break-in with the Talisman WB, my Willard scuffer has been used for a pocket marker. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The LePro tips I previously used, needed constant maintenence. (scuffers, tip piks, shapers) /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Jim

Sid_Vicious
01-21-2004, 07:48 PM
LePro tips are inconsistent. I always sort mine out from a box for similar hardness level and install only the hard ones. I really believe that once you try the Moori tip that you'll enjoy it. Triangles are fine tips, no arguement, but the Moori is my new tip of choice. They simply move the CB well, do not change shape(hards don't anyway) and they last a long time if you don't pick-scuff-reshape insistently. I do not touch mine anymore, except for chalk, not roughing and especially not picking...sid~~~will have to try an Everest tip sometime

Troy
01-21-2004, 08:16 PM
You can certainly have a different opinion from that of my customers who are completely satisfied with the Talisman Pro tips I have installed on their cues.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mike D2:</font><hr> I disagree, Ive talked to many cue makers and they say that talisman are very inconsistent. I like talisman tips don't get me wrong but your best bet would probably be the Moori's <hr /></blockquote>