PDA

View Full Version : Ball Roll Off on New Table

Sidepocket
01-21-2004, 01:56 PM
I have had a new 9' Brunswick Artisan table with Simonas 860 cloth for a little over one month now. The table was installed by the dealer, and was placed on new low pile commercial grade carpet with no padding on the concrete floor of my basement. The basement is conditioned, and I regularly check the humidity levels in the space.

The Problem: Since I got the table, I noticed the balls roll off when hit down the length of the table inside the diamonds. In other words, if I hit any ball dead nuts at a slow speed, the ball will roll all the way to the rail or corner pocket from the foot/head diamond closest to the corner pocket. The table is level with my 4' carpenter level, and the center is perfect when I roll balls down it.

The dealer indicated that this was due to the carpet, and would eventually go away in several weeks. To date, there has been no improvement.

I would appreciate any insight on what I should do: Get them out there to re-level the table, excercise my Brunswick warranty (which they did not give me and I have requested several times), wait out the self leveling, or learn to play long cut shots a ball outside the object ball.

Please let me know if I am "off track" or have a real problem on my hands. This was a considerable investment and I want to learn to play better....Thank you.

eg8r
01-21-2004, 02:09 PM
While I am no expert at this, I think the problem might also lie in the cloth. I am sure someone with more knowledge will correct me if I am wrong, but if the cloth is not pulled straight then the balls will roll in the direction of the cloth (not sure if I am way off here) fi slow rolled. I was at an exhibition match (J. Lee vs Mizerak) and I was sitting behind Varner and Sigel (and their wives) watching the match. On more than 1 occasion, Varner mentioned that J.Lee better pay attention to that direction of the table, because the cloth was playing weird.

eg8r

Pizza Bob
01-21-2004, 02:57 PM
Self-leveling table...that's a good one! I'd seriously question this dealer's/installer's knowledge of table installation if he leveled it with a four-foot carpenter's level. You have to use a short (9"?) machinist's level. The long level allows it to bridge low spots, or read incorrectly due to high spots. I believe the correct procedure would be to level your table upon installation and then come back in three or four weeks and re-level, after it has had a chance to settle into the carpet pile. If there's a local pool room nearby, you should probably ask them who they use as a table mechanic. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Rod
01-21-2004, 03:09 PM
Ditto to Bob's post.

Rod

woody_968
01-21-2004, 03:15 PM
As was mentioned, especially with simonis or any fast cloth, if the cloth is not stretched properly this can cause funny rolls. If the rest of the table rolls fine but just one side rolls off I would want them to come look at it.

The table will not level itself, if anything I would say the table should be level when they leave and possibly need to touch it up when the table settles into the carpet if all for legs dont settle the same amount.

This may sound strange but you may also want to check your balls /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif I got worried a couple times on my table thinking something had gone really wrong, and then realized that my 15 ball was just way out of ballance /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thats what I get for buying a cheap set of balls until I can afford my permanent set.

Sidepocket
01-21-2004, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the ideas so far. I think I can rule out the balls...I have a set of Aramith Premiums, and I tried running all of them down the side. Also, I should note, the problem does persist on both lengths of the table only from the closest diamond to the rail.

Troy
01-21-2004, 04:26 PM
A few things ---
1. All tables require a bit of time to "settle" after installation. It's a combination of the new frame and carpet. The installer should have offered to return to verify/correct the set-up.
2. A 4' carpenter level only gets the table close. For real accuracy, a Machinist's Level should be used, something the installer definitely should have used.
3. Cloth not tight and STRAIGHT will roll off.
4. It's highly doubful the table will "repair itself".

Troy

houstondan
01-21-2004, 04:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sidepocket:</font><hr> Thanks for the ideas so far. I think I can rule out the balls...I have a set of Aramith Premiums, and I tried running all of them down the side. Also, I should note, the problem does persist on both lengths of the table only from the closest diamond to the rail. <hr /></blockquote>

i'm a little slower than most folks and i'm not quite getting the picture of how you say it is rolling off. are you saying that a slow roll will head for the side from both sides of the table? like the middle is high? that does happen. the slate can be high or low in the middle and, depending on how the table is made, that's more than just putting an extra shim under a leg.

i think you really need to get them back out and give them a chance to fix it. it won't get better anfd they owe you a free visit. long term, you really should find out who does the tables around your are. usually there's one guy in an area with the best overall reputation. if the slate isn't right on the frame, they can adjust legs forever and never give you a good roll.

dan

Barbara
01-21-2004, 05:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> A few things ---
1. All tables require a bit of time to "settle" after installation. It's a combination of the new frame and carpet. The installer should have offered to return to verify/correct the set-up.
2. A 4' carpenter level only gets the table close. For real accuracy, a Machinist's Level should be used, something the installer definitely should have used.
3. Cloth not tight and STRAIGHT will roll off.
4. It's highly doubful the table will "repair itself".

Troy

<hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, what Troy said!!

Get that table mechanic back and show him the roll.

And if he doesn't fix it to your satisfaction, complain to Brunswick about him.

Barbara

logixrat
01-21-2004, 10:48 PM
In agreement with the others. Sounds like the place you bought it from don't know crap about installs, and the realistic chances of your table simply leveling out is "slim to none". Unless your frame has somehow cracked or substained some sort of other damage, I don't think it's a warranty issue.

It sounds like a setup/install problem to me. Things settle, and sounds like you table needs readjusted. Maybe it was your carpet, or maybe your concrete floor in the basement settled a little and cracked. Either way, if these guys won't come back out for free to fix the table right, and you end up paying someone to do it...I would call some other places first. Maybe you can find a good table mechanic to take care of you, and it will probably be cheaper.

Or if you want to try and do it yourself, you will need a 12" Starrett machinist level and some wood shims. That level will set you back a pretty penny though. They cost $135 new here, and about $50-$60 on eBay.

I did the setup &amp; level on my table, and it wasn't too bad. It would have been better if I had the 12" level, but instead I was stuck with a 4" level (grandpa had it for free to use). It took me about 4 hours to get it just right, the cloth installed and the rails bolted down.

Good luck!!