PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions on teaching this method to my son

Foxtrott
01-21-2004, 08:07 PM
My son is 9 and I am starting with him on his stroke . he has spent a couple years on cue care and table management and watching the game.The way we learned growing up was in a 10 cent returnable pop bottle in our bedrooms . The dont have them anymore . The pop bottle openings are too big but you can still put a coin on the butt of the cue .He is getting so frustrated with anything I try as he also downs himself on being perfect . Do you have any suggestions on a way I could maybe help him find a stroke and still keep it enjoyable ? He has a great interest in the game and as my father and myself and my fathers father pool kinda runs in the family.I am doing something wrong here and I am NOT being demanding he is getting just upset with his own preformance. I don't to start a downward spiral that will take him a long time to get over . But I do want to train him correcctly as his oppertunintys for advancement in the game will be better than most and triaining at a later age will be done by a few of the best if he so choses that he loves the game enough. Any ideas greatly appriciated .

bluewolf
01-21-2004, 08:55 PM
The way we worked with out daughter, age nine at the time was picking the fundamental that kept her from pocketing the balls. There were some things which were not perfect fundamentals that we left for later. The goal was for her to like the game. Lots of positive encouragement. No drills.

Each kid is different though.

laura

bigshooter
01-21-2004, 09:48 PM
I agree with foxtrot,keep it as fun as possible and keep his interest level up.
I have an 8 year old boy and we play rotation except I have to play by regular rules but he is allowed to shoot any ball on the table at anytime so its still challenging for me but he has a genuine chance to win just by picking off a few of the high balls.
I give him a pointer here and there and make a few suggestions but I don't push too hard.
My son also gets the "I'll never be as good as you attitude" but I just keep encouraging him and I make sure to point out the things he does right to reinforce in his mind that he is making progress.

woody_968
01-21-2004, 09:59 PM
Its a difficult position Fox, my son plays a little but hasnt really shown me enough interest yet to really start showing him much. But golf is a different story with him. I really have to watch myself when we are at the golf course as I dont want to over coach him at this point (not saying that you are). The things with kids are they are incredible when it comes to learning. IMO we need to touch on a few proper fundamentals that shouldnt be improperly done, as they are hard to fix later. But at the same time, if left alone, sometimes they can and will learn faster than we ever thought they could.

Sorry I didnt really answer your question, as for the pop bottle, ya might poke your head into some of the collectable type shops. You may find one of the older pop bottles around sometime for next to nothing.

woody_968
01-21-2004, 10:01 PM
I forgot to ask, what do you mean put a coin on the butt of the cue? Im sure its just like it sounds but I have never heard of this before and sounds like something else I could really frustrate myself with LOL. Could you explain a little? Thanks.

Aboo
01-22-2004, 11:28 AM
My son is 6 years old and I play with him at home. He refuses to take a spot in nine ball, absolutely refuses. He gets mad at me if I play with my left hand too. Maybe I'll try the rotation thing and just not tell him all the rules lol.

My son gets REALLY frustrated if he misses a lot. But, he's six so if the cue ball is more than 3-6 inches off the rail he has a hard time getting to it.

Billy
01-22-2004, 12:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Foxtrott:</font><hr> My son is 9 and I am starting with him on his stroke . he has spent a couple years on cue care and table management and watching the game.The way we learned growing up was in a 10 cent returnable pop bottle in our bedrooms . The dont have them anymore . The pop bottle openings are too big but you can still put a coin on the butt of the cue .He is getting so frustrated with anything I try as he also downs himself on being perfect . Do you have any suggestions on a way I could maybe help him find a stroke and still keep it enjoyable ? He has a great interest in the game and as my father and myself and my fathers father pool kinda runs in the family.I am doing something wrong here and I am NOT being demanding he is getting just upset with his own preformance. I don't to start a downward spiral that will take him a long time to get over . But I do want to train him correcctly as his oppertunintys for advancement in the game will be better than most and triaining at a later age will be done by a few of the best if he so choses that he loves the game enough. Any ideas greatly appriciated . <hr /></blockquote>

it's nice to see kids get an early start with a game that they'll be able to enjoy for a lifetime but ...

children can be difficult if you 'push' them into anything

the sessions must be made 'fun' in order for them to have a good time and to sustain their interest

a suggestion would be for other kids to join him while playing?

and I stress that you can not overlook the word 'playing' because that is exactly what they're doing

if he maintains interest,maybe 3-5 years,then seek a qualified instructor for more demanding 'play' that would probably be more to your liking.

jmo

Chris Cass
01-22-2004, 04:31 PM
Hi Foxtrott,

This is my expertise and I'll get back to you, for sure.

Regards,

C.C.~~running late but wanted to commit..