PDA

View Full Version : Old Mcdermott Shaft

N8ball
01-21-2004, 10:50 PM
I have a Mcdermott......getting close to a year since i bought it, and i got it new..... There is a janitor at the college i go to that said he has an old mcdermott shaft that his brother had but somehow the cue and the other shaft had gotten stolen or whatever and it was just laying around, so he gave it to me thinking it was the same joint. I think that it is a very old shaft because it REALLY feels old, looks old....it doesnt have any laminate on the shaft at all, like the new mcdermott shafts have. BTW, i have the wood to wood 3/8 joint. I was wondering if any of you know if the older shafts fit differently, because it seems really loose......i mean REALLY loose, untill i squeeze it together, it just wobbles. Afterwards tho its great, and plays wonderful, but i was wondering if they had changed it over the years. Thanx for any help in advance

Nate

Wally_in_Cincy
01-22-2004, 08:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote N8ball:</font><hr> ....it doesnt have any laminate on the shaft at all, like the new mcdermott shafts have.

<font color="blue">Laminate? I'm not sure what you mean. Are you talking about the plastic rings at the joint? </font color>

BTW, i have the wood to wood 3/8 joint. I was wondering if any of you know if the older shafts fit differently, because it seems really loose......i mean REALLY loose, untill i squeeze it together, it just wobbles. Afterwards tho its great, and plays wonderful, ..

<font color="blue">Maybe the female wooden threads are just terribly worn. My McD has been screwed and unscrewed about 1000 times and it is a bit looser than when it was new. </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

Iowashark
01-22-2004, 10:47 AM
I have 2 shafts for my McDermott and even though I rarely use this cue I took the CCB'ers advice and coated the wooden threads with wax and hopefully that prevents it getting loose really quickly. I just got worried for the longevity of the shaft when every time I took the cue apart some wood shavings floated out. Haven't seen a lot of wood shavings since the wax treatment. So to answer your question, I think it's kind of common for these McDermott wood threaded shafts to lose some tightness after awhile.

N8ball
01-22-2004, 12:27 PM
Laminate......not sure if thats the term used, but like when you use a shaft and chalk, crud, etc kinda discolors it....theres usually that part of it thats not sanded down that doesnt get that discoloration that has lamination over towards the joint, on this one there isnt that at all, and i know that its pretty characteristic of older MD shafts.... And yea with the wood joint i would imagine that it loosens up a bit, but.....this is really extreme. I mean, i can almost slide the pin a few threads into the shaft before i even have to twist. Ive tried multiple MD shafts on my cue and some are a tad looser or a tad tighter, but this is really unreal. I am almost thinking its either a slightly different joint (which i dont even know if its possible) or that this shaft is older than I am and is REALLY bored out.....

Nate

Wally_in_Cincy
01-22-2004, 01:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote N8ball:</font><hr> ....theres usually that part of it thats not sanded down that doesnt get that discoloration that has lamination over towards the joint...

<font color="blue">I think you mean "finish" rather than laminate. </font color>

...I am almost thinking its either a slightly different joint (which i dont even know if its possible)

<font color="blue">I don't know anything about the older ones. I'm surprised more of our CCB cue experts haven't chimed in. </font color>

or that this shaft is older than I am and is REALLY bored out.....

<font color="blue">could be I guess </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

Aboo
01-22-2004, 01:21 PM
I play with a McDermott that I bought used. It's got a stainless pin (It's metal anyway and it LOOKS like stainless) and the shaft is all wood threads.
I don't see how, if both the pin and the joint are wood, that it would NOT wear away over time /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
The pin on my cue is the longest I've ever seen though /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif Seems like it takes forever to thread lol

Troy
01-22-2004, 01:29 PM
You are probably talking about the "finish" on the shaft which is by now worn off and the wood has become very stained with chalk and hand-oil. It can be cleaned to a degree but do NOT use sandpaper.

The shaft can be re-fitted to your butt's pin. It is probably just very loose due mainly to age. I suggest taking it to a reputable repair person.

Troy

Sid_Vicious
01-22-2004, 07:22 PM
Blackheart's method of coating the female thread with liquid wax, using a q-tip will really snug up a wallowed out coupling of older cues. It made quite a difference in mine anyway...sid