PDA

View Full Version : Long or Short stroke?

recoveryjones
01-22-2004, 01:19 AM
I'm not advocating either because whatever works for you works.In the game of pool the old saying "It's different strokes for different folks." really applys.I just read an interesting article on the stroke by Fast Larry at this link: http://www.fastlarrypool.com/asklarry/thestroke.htm
Check it out if you wish and see what you think.He talks about the short stroke of Mosconi, Hoope and a few others and the long stroke of Strickland.

Cueless Joey
01-22-2004, 01:28 AM
I don't think it matters as long as you hit that cb where you intend to hit, go through it and hit the ob where you wanted to hit it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
But, I know I'm more accurate when I pause on the cb before my last stroke, hold the cue farther in the back so that when the tip hits the cb, my arm is still about 90 degrees from the floor, and follow thru about 6 inches on the cb.

woody_968
01-22-2004, 08:19 AM
IMO I think there is room for personal style, but the stroke must be of reasonable length for the shot at hand. If you take a long stroke for a shot where the cueball and OB are close together, and you just want to touch the OB, I think it would be very easy to over hit the shot. Or to underhit it as you know you are going to hit it to hard and try to abort.
Just like you wouldnt want to take a 2 inch backstroke if you were trying to send the cueball 6 rails, not enough time to get the cue up to speed. I know there are a few very good players out there that go to one extreme or the other, but for most of us shot should somewhat dictate stroke length.