PDA

View Full Version : BCn credibility suspect?

JimS
01-22-2004, 07:47 AM
Last night was supposed to be another ring game and I, like a lot of other people, were pretty excited about that prospect. So I logged on and I waited. Then I waited some more. I watched Landon Shuffett run some balls and that was a treat....great player for a 9 yr old kid. I waited some more and yet some more.

No ring game. No feature match. Not a dammed thing.

I know I've gotten my money's worth and a whole lot more but that's not the point. At some time during the evening it became clear to those in charge that the ring game was not going to happen and even before that they knew that if it could happen it was going to be a while before it did. They could have gone on their own chat room (which was conveniently down the whole evening) or to the ccb or azbilliards and let us know that things were not working out. They COULD have put on a match at that point. But they just let me/us sitting...waiting....waiting.

Hey guys! Ya know what....I've got a life and I made choices as to how to spend my time last night based on your WORD!! You SAID you were going to have a ring game and you SAID you were going to have a feature match and you didn't do what you said. Result...2 or 3 hours out of my life just gone. What are you going to do to pay me back for the hours out of my life that are gone..wasted because I BELIEVED WHAT YOU SAID.

Please BCn, don't piss in my ear and tell me it's raining and don't expect that I'll just automatically believe what you tell me in the future. You blew it. You didn't do what you said you were going to do and you didn't even have the common courtesy to come on-line and explain or apologise. You showed zero respect for me and all your subscribers. ZERO. I don't take that lightly. Your integrity/credibility is now highly suspect in my book. You've shown me that I may not be able to trust you. Damn. That's genuinely disappointing Rob.

Kato
01-22-2004, 08:25 AM
I guess I'm happy I stayed at the pool room last night late instead of rushing home.

Kato~~~was wondering if they could get the bucks together for another ring ball game.

Rich R.
01-22-2004, 08:36 AM
I guess they can now be grouped with ESPN and ESPN2. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

JimS
01-22-2004, 08:54 AM
I don't mind them not being able to get the ring game together. I'm sure they tried really hard to get it going and they couldn't so what the hell...they couldn't. If ya can't ya can't.

But if you KNOW you have an audience sitting around waiting you could come out on stage and let us know the show ain't goin to happen!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd have enjoyed the back up show, even if was a half-drunk elderly tap-dancer. Instead they just went out and copped their buzz...or whatever. (gets madder the more I thinks about it....ya can't treat me that way...I'll show ya!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Listening to Jimmy Dean (of sausage fame) being interviewed on the radio yesterday "Hey Spike...if I say it then that's it! I'll tell ya like it is! If I tell ya that the rooster's chewing snuff then ya better lift up his wing and look for the box 'cause it's there somewhere!"

Great line!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
01-22-2004, 09:05 AM
I'm with ya Jim. I said it the other day when Efren was practicing with Mark Gregory..........THIS IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, just put somebody on the table or put Mataya in the booth and let him go to town.

Kato

JimS
01-22-2004, 09:18 AM
Yeah!! Maybe he can find another nationality to alienate..(calling Souquet a Nazi!!) ...but he can be funny too.

ras314
01-22-2004, 09:53 AM
I was hopeing they would put a rg2 replay on at least. Getting the impression all that hardware/software is labor intensive.

Suspect if the chat was on Sactown would have kicked everybody off.

Damn it all I had a game on last night, rare around here, and cancled expecting to see rg3. Maybe the money players thought they had better action without it.

The kid was great though. Listining to Bert Kinnester talking over the show wasn't.

ras314
01-22-2004, 09:56 AM
BTW, did the Jeanette Lee/Efern Reyes match ever happen?

Popcorn
01-22-2004, 10:06 AM
I am not sure at this point I would be willing to pay any more then the $9.95 for a whole tournament. If done right it is worth much more, but they would have to come up with a much better performance in the future. If this was to be a low cost introductory offer of what the future has to bring, they should have gone overboard to be sure it was super. I don't think they are trying as hard as they could be and that is a shame, we all end up losers, them and us. I told a lot of friends about it and quite a few have signed up. Since then not much has been shown. I am not going to go out on a limb touting this thing anymore and look like a fool. It seems like the same old thing when it comes to pool, we have to take what ever crumbs are thrown our way, after all where else are you going to go. For me I feel like one of those guys in the 1920's sitting with a crystal set hoping to hear anything and getting excited when they did. I rearranged My schedule to watch this thing and it has been mostly disappointment. If this was anymore then $9.95, I could see people who paid with their credit cards, calling and asking for a credit since they have not delivered what they promised. Even at the $9.95 Bcn may still find charge backs on their account.

JimS
01-22-2004, 10:10 AM
I missed whatever action Sactown Tom put on. The choices to the left of the screen..i.e. schedule, contact, chat room etc were not even listed. That area was blue and blank. After trying everytthing I could think of including rebooting, I just assumed they had decided to do away with the chat room for the night. I guess maybe they did but only after mutiny! Folks must have gotten unruly? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

stickman
01-22-2004, 10:14 AM
I was disappointed that no-one thought to give any notice that the scheduled events weren't taking place. The little windows that create the upcoming featured matches and participartants could have been used to announce the cancellation of the programs. Undoubtly this was hindsight on their part. I hope that they'll think to do something to inform us in the future. Just a little constructive criticism.

The programming has been a great value, but I could have scheduled my time accordingly with a notice.

Jim

ras314
01-22-2004, 10:18 AM
All I saw last night was the blue blank. Day before some guys got booted for some minor trash talk. There would have been a whole lot more with this fisaco.

01-22-2004, 10:31 AM

Aboo
01-22-2004, 10:51 AM
I was going to order this thing, but when I realized I wasn't going to be able to record it without some hasty hardware setup, I decided against it. Just for this reason. It's a live event, and things are going to happen, but it's just very hard to sit and stare a computer screen all day long hoping that something is gonna happen. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Why didn't they allow an option to record it?

Popcorn
01-22-2004, 10:51 AM
I don't think he is one of those people at all. I feel they have shown very little respect for the people that arranged their schedules like myself to watch this thing. I will probably buy it again in the future, but will not be telling my friends and feel responsible if this happens again. They need word of mouth and this was not the best start.

tateuts
01-22-2004, 11:05 AM
The internet broadcast has been mismanaged, which leads me to believe that we are only a tiny group who subscribed. Makes you wonder what kind of future they have...

Chris

Wally_in_Cincy
01-22-2004, 11:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> The internet broadcast has been mismanaged, which leads me to believe that we are only a tiny group who subscribed. Makes you wonder what kind of future they have...

Chris <hr /></blockquote>

The most I ever saw in the chat room was 24. Could be a few more watching though.

This is typical of a pool tournament. They never start on time. I can see getting behind later in the day but at least start on time.

Having said that, $9.95 is a steal for this. I would not, however, have paid $29.95 unless I could be guaranteed a set schedule.

Hopefully this will be a learning experience for them.

Wally~~[censored]-eyed optimist /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Keith Talent
01-22-2004, 11:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>

This is typical of a pool tournament. They never start on time. I can see getting behind later in the day but at least start on time.

Having said that, $9.95 is a steal for this. I would not, however, have paid $29.95 unless I could be guaranteed a set schedule.

Hopefully this will be a learning experience for them.

Wally~~[censored]-eyed optimist /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, you can't complain much for $9.95, but it's kinda unprofessional not to post at least some semblance of a schedule and give an occasional update. Is it a one-man staff deal, I wonder?

Another problem is you can't really watch it on a Mac ... for whatever reason, my spouse decided she had to have one of these silly things and all I get is a 2-inch screen (not even the full small screen) . Netcast's tech folks say Bcn didn't format it to work with every sort of media player ... they say, in fact, I'm lucky I'm getting anything. Problem MAY be dealt with in the future, they say.

Now if I only had a little more time at work to check in on it.

So I'm sitting here watching Busta and Archer in this goofy ESPN 7 ball thing. That's unwatchable, too ... imagine a game for people who don't even have the attention span for 9 ball.

Billy
01-22-2004, 12:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> Last night was supposed to be another ring game and I, like a lot of other people, were pretty excited about that prospect. So I logged on and I waited. Then I waited some more. I watched Landon Shuffett run some balls and that was a treat....great player for a 9 yr old kid. I waited some more and yet some more.

No ring game. No feature match. Not a dammed thing.

I know I've gotten my money's worth and a whole lot more but that's not the point. At some time during the evening it became clear to those in charge that the ring game was not going to happen and even before that they knew that if it could happen it was going to be a while before it did. They could have gone on their own chat room (which was conveniently down the whole evening) or to the ccb or azbilliards and let us know that things were not working out. They COULD have put on a match at that point. But they just let me/us sitting...waiting....waiting.

Hey guys! Ya know what....I've got a life and I made choices as to how to spend my time last night based on your WORD!! You SAID you were going to have a ring game and you SAID you were going to have a feature match and you didn't do what you said. Result...2 or 3 hours out of my life just gone. What are you going to do to pay me back for the hours out of my life that are gone..wasted because I BELIEVED WHAT YOU SAID.

Please BCn, don't piss in my ear and tell me it's raining and don't expect that I'll just automatically believe what you tell me in the future. You blew it. You didn't do what you said you were going to do and you didn't even have the common courtesy to come on-line and explain or apologise. You showed zero respect for me and all your subscribers. ZERO. I don't take that lightly. Your integrity/credibility is now highly suspect in my book. You've shown me that I may not be able to trust you. Damn. That's genuinely disappointing Rob. <hr /></blockquote>

boy o boy /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

that didn't take long for the boo birds to appear

are we never satisfied? 10 bucks sheesh!

get off the chair,put the brews down,and maybe have a goal of actually playing some pool /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

'it is not enough to aim,you must hit'

jmo

Popcorn
01-22-2004, 12:54 PM
I don't think they can do it for $9.95, this was an introduction. It should have been the best effort they could put forward, if they expect people next time to pay say $49.95. Just because it was cheap, it would have been a big mistake on their part for just sluff it off.

ObeOne
01-22-2004, 02:39 PM
Did you guys not see the $25000 one pocket game that lasted until 5am?

Kato
01-22-2004, 02:43 PM
I logged on at 1:30 a.m. or so and got no video. Who was playing, what was the race, and what was the score?

Kato

Wally_in_Cincy
01-22-2004, 02:55 PM
somebody over there said the girl's initials were RA

that's all i know /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

rachel abbink? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
01-22-2004, 03:02 PM
RA vrs Jimmy Mataya

RUNaRAK
01-22-2004, 03:21 PM
RA= Rachel Abbink? sp??
I heard she came out the winner and that she was playing Mataya's brother. Just hear say from the rail birds! I had left the DCC by that time.

eg8r
01-22-2004, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think they can do it for $9.95, this was an introduction. It should have been the best effort they could put forward, if they expect people next time to pay say $49.95. Just because it was cheap, it would have been a big mistake on their part for just sluff it off. <hr /></blockquote> Why are you assuming because there have been mistakes, that they are not giving the best effort. When did they ever say, "If this goes well, then we are going to charge $49.95". Popcorn, you chat all the time lately about good business practice, I am beginning to wonder if in all your extensive business experience, did you always get 100% excellence along with your efforts? Didn't something wrong happen at least once in your career, or did you 100% effort bear the perfect outcome everytime?

Billy is right, it did not take long for people to start complaining. We are dealing with pool players which historically are the whiniest bunch out there. Some are saying, I know I got more than $9.95 worth but...BUT WHAT!!!!!! Admittedly, you got more than you paid for, so why complain. My gosh, you did not get to see RG3 happen, and you wasted your precious little time sitting there waiting for it, TOUGH. If you honestly feel you got more than you paid for, shouldn't you feel the least bit remorseful sitting there like some greedy little kid demanding more and more candy.

Sure it would have been nice to have someone come on and let us know what was happening, but you are adults and should have been able to figure it out after a bit.

As far as the complaining, it might be a bit more legitimate if there were no more broadcasts the rest of the week as was gauranteed, but I don't remember any gaurantee of a rg3 when you all signed up. We were only gauranteed rg1, and with that we were surprised with rg2. However when rg3 did not come to fruition people started sounding like a whiny little brats who did not get their way.

Pool players crack me up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r &lt;~~~Once complained about paying too much for a bag of pretzels when I was already playing pool for free

Wally_in_Cincy
01-22-2004, 03:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RUNaRAK:</font><hr> RA= Rachel Abbink? sp??
I heard she came out the winner and that she was playing Mataya's brother. Just hear say from the rail birds! I had left the DCC by that time.

<hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for the memory refresher. That's what I heard too.

ted harris
01-22-2004, 03:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> &lt;snip&gt; You showed zero respect for me and all your subscribers. ZERO. I don't take that lightly. Your integrity/credibility is now highly suspect in my book. You've shown me that I may not be able to trust you. Damn. That's genuinely disappointing Rob. <hr /></blockquote>
Are you for real?

Popcorn
01-22-2004, 04:10 PM
The problem is, if there are problems, you come right out before there are even questions and explain what is happening. That is all you ask for. It is understandable there figured to be problems. and this was in effect a trial run. Don't expect in the future this to be $9.95 for a whole week of matches that would be ridicules. I don't think they can do it for that and they should not. They have a very nice product and I hope they do well. At this point, I think that pool players are so desperate to see anything though, they are easy to satisfy.

eg8r
01-22-2004, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At this point, I think that pool players are so desperate to see anything though, they are easy to satisfy. <hr /></blockquote> Easy to satisfy might be true, but that in no way means BCn is just fluffing off.

As far as it always being $9.95, I think they would be crazy to do that since they told us in the beginning the 9.95 was only to cover expenses. It was supposed to be free. Surely they will decide in the future they will want to make a profit, but that does not mean there will be no problems then either.

eg8r

ras314
01-22-2004, 05:02 PM
Could be those folks were just too worn out to keep up with things. Could you imagin being there and having to work? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ras314
01-22-2004, 05:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ObeOne:</font><hr> Did you guys not see the $25000 one pocket game that lasted until 5am? <hr /></blockquote>
No. I quit when the notice came up saying they were going off the air.

Qtec
01-22-2004, 05:23 PM
As usual, /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif,you are missing the point. The guy is not talking about value for money. He,s talking about common decency.
Of course the guy from Bcn[ he is probably reading this whole thread and waiting for a response such as yours to jump in]has always complained about the lack of support from the pool playing public.
Either he is not an avid pool fan himself or he doesnt understand anything about people or simply that the circumstances were outside their control,ie nothing could be done at the time to contact the viewers so that they didnt have to waste there time.

I,m sure we will hear the whole story.

As a pool fan, I can imagine the guy looking forward to the game [any game] after working the whole day. He has his dinner,gets comfy behind the pc and with his beer in one hand and his[ whatever] in the other hand, logs in and .....nothing.
"Whats wrong?" he thinks.
After a while still nothing is happening so he thinks it must be his pc.....and so on and so on.
If it was me I wouldnt be pleased at all.
I could forgive the fact that if there were technical difficulties and the show was cancelled . S@#t happens.

I really would be mad tho if they let me sit there for 3 hours,wasting my time.

If there were only a small amount of subscribers they could have even e-mailed them!

Like I said, common decency, taking care of the customer.

But what do I know. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

tateuts
01-22-2004, 05:37 PM
Right on, QTEC.

Qtec
01-22-2004, 05:43 PM
Thankyou.

Q

of course eg8r wont agree.LOL

Troy
01-22-2004, 06:13 PM
Absolutely !!! And rightfully so.

Troy...~~~ Should not even reply
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ted harris:</font><hr>
Are you for real? <hr /></blockquote>

bluewolf
01-22-2004, 06:20 PM
When I signed up I could only view the small screen on my mac, but could watch it fine on ww pc laptop. They explained that the streaming bit video (if I have that right) is not formatted to work with the win media player that mac uses.

I paid because I thought it was a good effort, with no idea of how much I would get to see. Next time, i hope that if it does not work with certain os, for example, they will tell us ahead of time.

It is a new effort and could be a good thing for pool. I hope...

Laura

JimS
01-22-2004, 06:25 PM
Yes Q, you are correct and I think that's what I said.

JimS
01-22-2004, 06:31 PM
I have greatly enjoyed the bcn show and I'm dammed grateful to have had it be available. BUT...that don't make it right to just leave the /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif screen empty all evening. They opened the theater, had us all sit down then they snuck out the back without telling anybody there wouldn't be a show. That's what happened and I'm saying it ain't right and I don't appreciate being treated that way....and yes WW...I EAT poor wait-people for lunch!!

eg8r
01-22-2004, 07:24 PM
I never missed any point, I admitted it would have been nice for BCn to let everyone know. I could not even begin where you missed my point, at least I acknowledged his.

[ QUOTE ]
Either he is not an avid pool fan himself or he doesnt understand anything about people or <font color="blue"> simply that the circumstances were outside their control </font color> ,ie nothing could be done at the time to contact the viewers so that they didnt have to waste there time.
<hr /></blockquote> The highlighted point has as good an opportunity of being the explanation as any, so why make a post questioning the credibiity of the one good thing that is happening for the pool fans. One problem arises, and the whining comes out of the woodwork.

Wait to hear BCn's reason/excuse and go from there. However, getting upset at BCn for not showing a ring game because there are not enough players to get together to play the ring game, especially when the game was never even gauranteed to be played, seems weak. I do not remember ring game #3 on Wednesday night being announced last week. It seemed like a spur of the moment thing after rg2 however it never happened. Now all of a sudden some grumpy person who wasted their time in front of the computer for 3 hours, "waiting" for an un-gauranteed event to happen, waits to gripe and complain and question the credibility of the only show in town? C'mon, give it a rest. They have provided so far with everything else they said they would show, everything you were told about when you first bought the event. Sorry the extras did not happen, but you never knew about them before.

If BCn has learned anything they will have learned that there is one too many complainers out there, and in the future they will not announce any extras. Just let it be a surprise for those paying attention.

eg8r

eg8r
01-22-2004, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have greatly enjoyed the bcn show and I'm dammed grateful to have had it be available. BUT...that don't make it right to just leave the screen empty all evening. They opened the theater, had us all sit down then they snuck out the back without telling anybody there wouldn't be a show. That's what happened and I'm saying it ain't right and I don't appreciate being treated that way....and yes WW...I EAT poor wait-people for lunch!! <hr /></blockquote> This is sort of a stretch, but could it be similar to Sammy Sosa? Why didn't you question his credibility earlier this year? By playing professional ball, he promised not to use tampered equipment, yet he made a mistake. I never heard you question his credibility and he has had a much more colored past than the BCn?

C'mon, give them a break. Something got screwed up. Why not let your praise for the rest of the week drown out this, first, problem/speed bump in the road?

eg8r

eg8r
01-22-2004, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
of course eg8r wont agree.LOL <hr /></blockquote> I guess the vacation did not help out any of the comprehension problems. Go back and read my post...rather I will just quote it here for you... [ QUOTE ]
Sure it would have been nice to have someone come on and let us know what was happening, but you are adults and should have been able to figure it out after a bit. <hr /></blockquote> I admitted in the beginning it would have been nice for them to let the viewers know, but something kept them from doing so, or they just forgot amidst the rest of the issues going on. You just looked for something in my post that you might be able to argue. It did not work, since I had agreed already, what are you arguing about, or what would I not agree about. Since you have a problem with comprehension, I will spell it out for you, my post was to agree the notice would have been nice, however, the overwhelming reason for my post was the attitude of the initial poster.

eg8r

eg8r
01-22-2004, 07:36 PM
I am sure some of the $9.95 credit card wielding pool players just don't care. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Greg/Diamond
01-22-2004, 09:09 PM
JimS,
I'm not at the DCC I'm down with the flu, bad luck. I don't understand where or why BCN (Rob Sequora) would have announced that there would be another ring game. That's not the way it's supposed to go. The ring game concept was a co credit or failure between Grady and Myself. It was my desire to see a ring game like the one I saw in Burlington IA. years ago and Grady made it happen for me. He had the nerve to ask coorporations for 10k and pick 2 players to get this thing started. He found Limbsaver and the Seminole tribe and my buddy Alan McCarty of Preditor Cues finished off the 6 players. This was supposed to be a test to get the format and rules straight. It seemed to get a life of it's own and grow way bigger than I expected..................... Rob and Pat Fleming were contracted by my partner Mark Griffin and myself to get the DCC tournament matches on the net and on various Dish Network and Direct TV channels because Diamond has been funding the BCN under contrac thru the end of 2004. Were in discussions now for beyond 2004.............. What I'm leading to is the whole Ring Game was an extra that we deceided to try. If it turned out well we may use edited footing on the Dish and Direct Stations. At this time it seems like it will be aired in the future. ...... I received calls from a few players saying they were disapointed that I didn't choose them to play in the first Ring Game and I got the chance to tell them I didn't pick the players the sponsers did and they understood. It was a blessing that the responce from the players and spectators was so overwhelming that a 2nd ring game came off. What a field! Remember that in the 2nd ring game players were digging in their own pockets and backers were stepping up to make it happen. Of course it was fantastic for Accustats and BcN to have the opportunity to pass it on to the people on the net at no extra charge making the 10 bucks even a better value. If Rob or Pat told people there was going to be another ring game for sure I'd be surprised and disappointed myself. Its out of their control unless they want to stake all the players or find backers for them. I did hear rumors from the players and backers they wanted another one but till the cash is up I it doesn't hold water. All they can do is film and pass on whats done on the accustats table. At the beginning of the event they hadn't even planned to show anything live past midnight. They have exceded the bandwith time and money previously allocated. The RG has gotten a life of it's own. I'm hoping for 4 more new RG winners and crown a Diamond RING GAME Champion of the World . If I feel better tomorrow I'll be talking to Barry of the US Open tomorrow about this. BUT REMEMBER ALL THIS IS ONLY IN The
TALKING STAGE please bear with us as we try to make this sport GROW. And thanks much to everyone for their interest in a live showing on the net. Looks like this may be a start if enough people could learn how to view this. NUMBERS is the name of the game.......Greg/Diamond

tateuts
01-22-2004, 09:36 PM
The problem is that the schedule shown on the web site hasn't been properly updated or maintained, so we don't know what to expect. They were showing a Ring Game on Wednesday and Friday as well. I don't know whose responsibility it is to update the web site, but that's been a problem.

The Ring Games were AWESOME - some of the best pool I've seen and great fun.

Chris

Keith Talent
01-22-2004, 09:43 PM
Greg,

Sked seems to be flowing more smoothly tonight ... appreciate the notices of upcoming matches. Way to go.

JimS
01-22-2004, 10:03 PM
Greg..I sure hope you don't think I was questioning or complaining about you or Diamond. There is nothing that could be farther from the truth.

I complained that: BCn said they were going to do something. It didn't happen and that was understandable and beyond their control.

But. they kept me/us waiting the whole evening when they could have simply said "it's not going to happen".

It's the style of the day to never admit you're wrong, never admit culpability and they have not yet said "Sorry...we should have let you know".

How hard would that have been then or now?

Pelican
01-22-2004, 10:13 PM
I too think it would be nice if they could maintain a better schedule. However, I also understand that a lot of time things happen to effect a schedule. They could post updates on the screen it would keep us appraised of when we need to watch. Would also like to a have a site to see results posted. Overall, hey it was ten bucks. Crap, I'll tip a big boobed waitress more than that /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Figure I got my moneys worth after the first ring game /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Holly
01-22-2004, 11:33 PM
I can understand and hear your frustration. I have watched many hours this past week of the DCC on BCn and have enjoyed it completely. Yes, sometimes my connection would go down, but you know what, it was my connection that was causing the issue generally when it rarely happened. Also, we all need to remember that the BCn is not running the DCC, they are the media trying to broaden the opportunity for folks who are not in position to visit tournaments such as the DCC to still watch some of the matches.

I have met and seen Rob and company in action. No they are not perfect, they deal with an inperfect technology that must adjust to inconsistant transmission capabilities and consistancies as well as juggle and personally adjust to fluctuating scheduling that is not of their making.

So many variables exist when you are trying to broadcast live that if we all really thought about it we would be daunted trying to cope with those issues week end and week out as BCn often does. I think that with pre-taped telecasting and almost set it stone scheduling that as a society we have become mental accustomed to with standard form of televised broadcasting, it is unfair to have that same level of expectations with a live feed in an ever evolving medium and in a forum that circumstances often force change.

We all get frustrated at times, but when we do we need to ask if some of these frustrations are being exacerbated by our own attitudes in general?

I will always applaud any person or group that works towards an honest positive impact and look forward to us all benefitting from the sports growth and process.

Please be patient and see the positive and not always the negative.

Holly

ras314
01-22-2004, 11:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> I am sure some of the $9.95 credit card wielding pool players just don't care. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

Actually I believe JimS point was valid. i.e. understandable the ring game didn't happen but no excuse for keeping us hanging around IF they knew it was off. The 9.95 charge is not an issue.

Now they are saying there is another rg on for around 8 pm fri. Hope there is some warning if it falls thru. Anyway I'm not going to skip my regular tournament night just to see if it happens.

Guess the biggest gripe is the no notification of schedule changes. So a valuable lesson has been learned by BCn and I hope more internet live shows will be on. All in all I think this one is great despite all the glitches.

ras314
01-22-2004, 11:54 PM
Greg...A classic case of too much sucess? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Anyway, we appreciate the work all concerned have done.

Bad timing with the flu, as if there is a good time for it.

Greg/Diamond
01-23-2004, 05:28 AM
JimS.....I didn't look at things or comments in any negative fashion. I think it's a blessing for opinions to be able to be discussed here on the net. And I agree with you're concerns. I was only trying give the CCbers as much inside info as possible.......Greg/Diamond

JimS
01-23-2004, 06:00 AM
What a drag for you to have the flu during your tournament!!!!! Life aint' fair /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Next year (spoken by the proverbial Cub fan) next year I'm gunna be there.

Take care Gregg..git yourself well..and I'll give you a call about the leather marks.

Thanks, Jim

bluewolf
01-23-2004, 06:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Greg/Diamond:</font><hr> JimS.....I didn't look at things or comments in any negative fashion. I think it's a blessing for opinions to be able to be discussed here on the net. And I agree with you're concerns. I was only trying give the CCbers as much inside info as possible.......Greg/Diamond <hr /></blockquote>

I wonder if the next time they will fix the problem with the mac. When I first signed in, it said I did not have the right plugin.A link took me to the dl and asked for my os and told me which version of media player to dl, which I did. When I kept getting a message that said 'playlist format not recognized'. I contacted tech support for bcn. That is when I found out that the type of video did not support the wp used on the mac, yet it was listed as a needed plug in. This led me to believe that until several of us had problems with this, they might not have realized this was going to be a problem, er a bug. All new things have bugs so it did not bother me. But now after some of the problems that came up, they will know more next time what can and cant be fixed. If it is impossible to interface well with certain types of computers, do you think they will tell us ahead of time next time?

BTW, the tech person said that the mac was supported on their archived stuff, just not on this feed,offered to return my money but I declined and said that it worked fine on our pc.

Also what about Linex and/or unix? If it supports that then mac can run unix stuff, although a person would need to know ahead of time what they needed to install to run it.

Linux is something for them to look at too. While folks using linex are still small, there are a number of them and if you pop in the restore cd in my mac it asks if I want it to be mac interface or unix.

I know this was new, and naturally a lot of confusion, just hoping they will announce limitations ahead of time if these bugs cannot be fixed.

laura

Troy
01-23-2004, 10:26 AM
I can't remember where I first heard this, possibly/probably from "Andy Sipowicz" on NYPD Blue. However, it aptly applies to most Pool Rooms and also reminds me of some Bosses I encountered during my nearly 30 years in "Corporate America".

Troy...~~~ Does not miss "Corporate America" one little bit... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> ...don't piss in my ear and tell me it's raining..... <hr /></blockquote>

cycopath
01-23-2004, 11:14 AM
Not that my opinion means anything, but...

I feel BCn has done a wonderful job under the circumstances given. I feel like if the network connection went down permanently right now, the 9.95 would still have been a bargain. I understand there's always going to be dissatisfied people, but I hope BCn doesn't listen to only those few complaining voices. There are a lot more people out there that's overjoyed at the opportunity given to us to see some great matches at a really low price.

I'd love to see BCn put up a 'Sound Off' type messageboard after the event just so they could see the appreciation most folks have for what they've done.

Great Job BCn!

JimS
01-23-2004, 11:29 AM
I agree whole-heartedly. I've enjoyed myself immensly and feel like $9.95 was a real bargain. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
01-23-2004, 02:14 PM
BCn (Rob) has asked to have someone apolgize for the scheduling problems.

It seems that BD CCB has revoked Rob's posting privilges. So he hasn't been able to respond.

bigbro6060
01-23-2004, 03:42 PM
i would say to BcN, stuff the live stuff, technology and the internet isn't quite there yet, need another few years

Firstly get the matches properly filmed and then either make them downloadable in nice quality format or produce a nice dvd set for 20-30 bucks, much much better than subpar live internet video

Who really cares if it's a few weeks after it happens if the quality is gonna be light years better ?

SPetty
01-23-2004, 05:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr> get the matches properly filmed ... produce a nice dvd set for 20-30 bucks<hr /></blockquote>I think you just described accu-stats... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

stickman
01-23-2004, 07:54 PM
Thanks Rob! Even though I was disappointed in not seeing the ring game, my statements were intended to be given in the form of constructive criticism. I've been very happy with the oppportunity to watch some really great pool. Thanks for your efforts to improve the programming. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Jim

JimS
01-23-2004, 09:15 PM
Thanks Tom. Thanks to BCN...I think it was Rob...for the online verbal apology to viewers for scheduling snafu's etc. I don't remember his exact words but at least it was acknowledged that there were problems Wed.

I can only imagine the gargantuan problems that Scott must face trying to direct 3 tournaments within one with all those entrants. More than 400 in the banks and well over 300 each in 1 pocket and 9 ball. Phew!

JohnBarton
01-24-2004, 08:21 PM
I was at the DCC and I just got to home in time to sign up and catch the last day's nine ball action. I understand that the feed was pretty much live for the entire event and that whatever was happening on the Accu-Stats table was shown on the net. I have to say that even though I ony caught the tail end of the Reyes/Wetch match and slept through the others until halfway through the final I feel as though I got way more than my $10 worth. We have just witnessed a grounvreaking event in pool history as far as I am concerned. LIVE - commercial free pool - in real time. I am glad to have been at this event and glad to been one of the ones who put up the $10 bucks to watch it on the net.

My full screen version was grainy but I could easily see the action of the balls and the commentary was coming though just fine. I loved it and congrats to Efren and Ralf for coming up with perfect pool in this inaugaral broadcast.

I can only imaginr that BCN and Accu-Stats will refine their productions along these lines until we are able to view these events seamlessly. Kudos to BCN, Accu-Stats and Diamond for a great event all around.

John