PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Hand Store Cue Buy!

bigshooter
01-22-2004, 02:30 PM
I just stopped in a second hand store a few minutes ago literally less than a block from my home that I've never been in before and finally decided to check it out and I spied an old vintage looking cue case so I asked the clerk if I could look at the case and she says "Oh theres a cue in there too" my heart lept as I anticipated what might be in there.
I was hoping for a Joss West of Szamboti or GULP! a Bushka but instead slides out a vintage Huebler, not as exotic as I had hoped for but hey it cost me $30.00 for the cue and the case.
It looks exactly like this one except mine has an alternating light/dark wood bands instead of the pearl looking ones on this cue at the butt - joint and shaft collar.
Mines not mint but its in excellent condition and very straight.
Huebler Cue. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3654680871&category=21 212&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1)
Pretty cool, I think I'll go check out the hit.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
01-22-2004, 04:18 PM
Hi Bigshooter,

Way to go. I've been looking in the pawn shops around here and found a ton of SP cues all with warped shafts and loose ferrules and to boot wanting like $90. Well, they're willing to barter but I haven't found anything good yet. I figure it's good to keep an eye out every once in awhile. Maybe I can get lucky like #### Leonard and find a Paradise cue in my garage. LOL I don't really need one but it's the little guy in me that likes to treasure hunt. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Ralph S.
01-22-2004, 04:23 PM
Helluva find!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Chris Cass
01-22-2004, 04:28 PM
Hi Ralph,

Well, #### knew his own cue and has played with it for quite awhile but I'm thinking he forgot about it. He was really excited after finding he still had it. He was looking to send me some books to help my game. I guess you could say, I brought him good luck. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

JimS
01-22-2004, 06:38 PM
Hit those yard sales. My son-in-law bought an old tackle box and got over $6k for the lures on eBay.

bigshooter
01-22-2004, 06:41 PM
I bought another cue about 15 years ago in a junk store for literally a couple of bucks and I never could figure out what it was until recently it is a Sampaio but the problem is its been tucked away at my dads house for the last 15 years or so and now we can't find it.
Looks similar to this one.
Sampaio (http://store5.yimg.com/I/welovepool-inc_1764_16466290)
I never thought much about it until I saw that they wanted $500.00 plus for a Sampaio, I never thought it was all that special.

Sid_Vicious
01-22-2004, 07:16 PM
"and to boot wanting like $90. Well, they're willing to barter but I haven't found anything good yet"

That is the very thing about pawn shops that turns me off, highballing and making me barter. If they want my business, then they will need to hook me with an eye catching price far below retail. I just quit even going into pawn shops because of this BS...sid

bigshooter
01-22-2004, 08:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> "and to boot wanting like $90. Well, they're willing to barter but I haven't found anything good yet"

That is the very thing about pawn shops that turns me off, highballing and making me barter. If they want my business, then they will need to hook me with an eye catching price far below retail. I just quit even going into pawn shops because of this BS...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah I still go in the pawn shops but I'm not sure why they have everything marked retail as if the merchandise was brand new, I guess they expect pawn shop buyers to haggle so they just build it into the price.
And most pawnshops now sell as much or more on ebay as they do in the retail store so you really don't have as much bargaining power as you used to, Why would they give you a real steal on a cue when they can just ebay it for more?
I used to see some real bargains before the ebay and blue book days but not much anymore.