PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Predator 314 opinion.

bigshooter
01-22-2004, 08:09 PM
Sign me up for the tried it but went back to my old original shaft camp.
I hit balls with the 314 for a good 3 months and I will concede that on long shots I like it but thats about it.
I get more english with less effort out of my good old original Joss shaft that I've had for over 15 years.
I have more touch, more feel and am peace with the world once again using my old shaft.
Maybe I am just too used to the feel of my cue with the original but I shot lights out yesterday and had a lot of fun so I won't be missing the predator.
I suppose it is like a lot of other things it just comes down to personal preference. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Cueless Joey
01-22-2004, 08:27 PM
Regular shafts might have more deflection but hit more solid and have better feel imo.
But the problem with a lot of the 314 buyers, they buy that shaft and expect miracles. I mean, they already want to spend $180 on a shaft even before they get a good concept of the basics in pool. Never mind that they can't bridge right, no speed control, bad eye alignment and have a jerky stroke, they want to spend that money on a 314 shaft instead of a good session with a qualified instructor.
I know. I did. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bigshooter
01-22-2004, 08:38 PM
Yes exactly, Its a matter of feel.
The predator is a good shaft but it never felt right even when I was playing well with it.
I think for some people it may be an improvement depending on several variables but for me it always comes down to feel, like I said in my previous posts I like it for long shots, escpecially power shots but the trade off was the lack of feel on the rest of the shots and for me it wasn't worth it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

woody_968
01-22-2004, 09:45 PM
Ya couldnt have said it better Joey.

I think it also depends on if someone likes the shaft they already have. Sounds like the original poster was happy with his cue, just trying to see if it really made a difference. In these cases I dont think there is that much of a difference to make the predator worth it.

I had a Meucci (yea I know) and didnt like the feel of the shaft on some of the off center power shots. Put a Predator on it, and liked it better. I have since gone to a Madison Bob cue. Even though I liked the predator on the Meucci, I will not be putting one on my new cue as I am very pleased with the way it already plays.

jjinfla
01-23-2004, 07:11 AM
Is the 314 still being produced? I thought I read where it was replaced by the Z shaft. But you have to admit that the 314 was a great gimmick for Predator and they sold a lot of them. I have been playing with one for the past two years (or thereabouts) and once I replaced the tip with a Tiger tip and put in a lot of hours on the practice table I did see my game improve.

Jake

Kato
01-23-2004, 07:41 AM
My buddy George recently shattered, yes shattered the ferrule on his 314 shaft (cue sold to him by me /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif) on a regular shot. I told him that the ferrule would be replaced by Predator at no charge. He took a digital picture of it and e-mailed it to them. Apparently they have to catoragize it under 1, 2, or 3? And then they'll get back to him. Lucky for him I had another one of my cues that I had a Predator shaft made for. Boy did that make him happy because he loves that shaft. Me personally, you can keep it. I'll stick with the 1 piece maple shafts I play with or Jerry's laminated shafts (which by the way are super solid).

Kato

pooltchr
01-23-2004, 07:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> and put in a lot of hours on the practice table I did see my game improve.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

That line says it all. Nothing you can buy will improve your game more than some serious practice sessions.

Fred Agnir
01-23-2004, 08:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Is the 314 still being produced? I thought I read where it was replaced by the Z shaft. But you have to admit that the 314 was a great gimmick for Predator and they sold a lot of them. <hr /></blockquote>The Z shaft has different specifications. I think it's more geared towards carom-style cues. It's not a replacement for the 314.

And, I don't think the 314 is a gimmick in any definition. At least, not the shaft itself. Their marketing may be misleading, but the shaft does what it's intended to do.

Fred

Ken
01-23-2004, 08:27 AM
How much do you want for it?
KenCT

Bob_in_Cincy
01-23-2004, 12:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Nothing you can buy will improve your game more than some serious practice sessions. <hr /></blockquote>
No more calls please! We have a winner!

Bob_in_Cincy