PDA

View Full Version : Best way to level a table

ryushen21
01-22-2004, 10:48 PM
Recently all the tables at my school pool room got moved around and are now pretty unlevel. Myself and one other guy are gonna do all leveling this weekend. i was just wondering if you guys knew of any ways that were quick and made it a little easier to level these tables out.

ras314
01-23-2004, 12:18 AM
Hope you two are strong guys if you have to shim up the legs. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Use the best level you can get ahold of for starters. Then slow roll a ball to finish tweeking the table. You'll probably come up with a good system by the time you get finished.

On good fast cloth it will take awhile. On slow tables it ain't worth much going to much trouble.

Foxtrott
01-23-2004, 01:23 AM
You never really said what type tables there were . If you have the clearence and the table is a solid table by the edge I would get a piece of 4x4 and over it put a larger but small piece of plywood 3/4" and cover that with carpet .Look at the structure of the table underneath first. Set that on top a big floor jack and then go about leveling it . If you dont have a floor jack you can pick one up for about $50 .If you try to hump the tables you will find it will take forever but on the nicer tables you must so if it is very fine fished wood get more people .Now remeber when you jack it up you do not jack it up where you want it but a hair abouve as it will settle down when you release it Shim and turn your pedistools then release it then see how level.DO NOT MAKE THE PEDISTAL BOLT TOO LONG!!!look at the bolt and only use about 1/2 the bolt max . If it is too far away shims are in order . Get some cardboard so the jack will not leave impressions on the floor or you may need a small piece of plywood for that also .Some tables you can shim at the top of the leg and that is preferred but cheaper ones may not offer this .Take a toolbox and some thin strips of wood and a dill . Usually they will be 1/4 inch plywood and 6" by 6" . You make your first whole in any corner 1" in from both sides.It shoud be a 1/2 inch hole .If you need more than 1/4 inch you can stack them.Jack it up .Pop one bolt and only 1 bolt out after you have drilled one whole in the shim. unbolt one bolt from the table but loosen the others .Slip the board in the one whole and tighten snug . Then unscrew the other 3 bolts pull the bolts out and spin the board around in place . Take a marker and mark the other 3 holes and then spin the board back and drill the three remaing holes . The point is to no matter what always keep the top of the leg somehow attached to the table for if the jack slips it can fall on the leg and still be supportedand when you have 2 legs attached by a board the board can also spin around and buckle.,with you under it.MAKE SURE WHERE YOU JACK IS ON THE FRAME. If there is a cover over the bottom get a desity checker .Best thing to do for speed in this process is have a pot of coffie /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif .If you have expensive tables I would personally recomend a professional installer to show you just in case you do this again and it is a good thing to learn. Good luck Heck I recomend and installer anyhoo so you can learn the correct way to dset a table that will stay level .

Troy
01-23-2004, 10:17 AM
I gather the tables are in position but are just not level.
I suggest a 36" Carpenter's Level to start. This will get the tables close. For final leveling nothing beats a Machinist's Level, but they aren't cheap and may not be worth the investment for you if this a one-shot deal.

Troy...~~~ You probably should get a table mechanic
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ryushen21:</font><hr> Recently all the tables at my school pool room got moved around and are now pretty unlevel. Myself and one other guy are gonna do all leveling this weekend. i was just wondering if you guys knew of any ways that were quick and made it a little easier to level these tables out. <hr /></blockquote>

JimS
01-23-2004, 11:37 AM
The best way to level a table is hire a professional to do it. It's worth the expense...imo.

Troy
01-23-2004, 11:57 AM
Absolutely true Jim.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> The best way to level a table is hire a professional to do it. It's worth the expense...imo. <hr /></blockquote>

NBC-BOB
01-23-2004, 01:17 PM
Use a good carpenter's level, as someone else suggested.
If you want to drive yourself crazy! Get a small piece of glass and a ball from the rack. Move the glass around different area's of the table and lay the ball on the glass.If the ball doesn't roll off the glass the table is perfectly leveled.If this happens, buy a lottery ticket! because this is your lucky day.

ryushen21
01-24-2004, 12:14 AM
Normally we would get professionals to do this. unfortunately the funds are just not there to do it. We have twelve tables and the people want 65 a table plus labor. The table are super 8 brunswick gold crowns. or if any of you guys know of a place that will do it for less money in the DFW area, let me know plese.

Foxtrott
01-24-2004, 06:09 AM
Way too much cash . You should be able to get a couple qualified guys in there have that knocked out in a day for inside $500 and that being real good pros.Where do you live as there may be a couple guys on here that can do it .Heck I can check around for you also .