PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on Pool Balls

recoveryjones
01-22-2004, 11:59 PM
Hi, I just read a very interesting article on pool balls. You can read it at the following link:
http://www.fastlarrypool.com/asklarry/balls.htm I thought it was very informative. RJ

Cueless Joey
01-23-2004, 12:22 AM
Great article. I knew the Red Circle was easier to maneuver than the Centennial cb. I have a set of Centennial and use the Red Circle cueball.
I had the balls polished once and keep it clean.

jer9ball
01-23-2004, 08:37 AM
I think you need to keep in mind that Larry has a particular perspective on this subject, and it isn't necessarily playing 9-ball or 8-ball. Like he said, if you ask the pro's (assuming he means pro 9-ball players), they'll sing a different tune. I'm refering mainly to the "dirty balls are best" suggestion that Larry makes.

If dirty balls are best, why do pro snooker matches have a referee who cleans the balls every time he/she spots them up?

cheers,
jer9ball

Fred Agnir
01-23-2004, 09:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr> Hi, I just read a very interesting article on pool balls. You can read it at the following link:
http://www.fastlarrypool.com/asklarry/balls.htm I thought it was very informative. RJ <hr /></blockquote>The author is misleading at best and doesn't have all his facts 100% correct. But, that's nothing new.

He does trick shots. Many of those shots are setup with the understanding of less than ideal (read: dirty) conditions. The rest of us play actual conditions. Sometimes they suck. Sometimes they're perfect. Better for all of us to understand both. If you're at home, and all you intend to do is to have fun at home, then clean balls are the way to go. If you go to a pool hall, and you're paying to play, clean conditions would be nice. Most tournaments I play in, the room owner has cleaning machines to keep things... clean. The professional tournaments: clean conditions.

The Super Pro Aramith Cueball is the same weight as the Brunswick Centennial Ball. The author stumbles and fumbles and concludes that the SuperPro Cueball is the best, but if anyone can follow his logic, please explain it to me. First he says the Red Circle is the best. Then he says the Super Pro Cueball is the best, better than the Red Circle.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote FL:</font><hr>" Nobody knew why, they just knew they got more draw &amp; action out of the red circle. Why is simple, the red circles I have measured with my industrial micrometer and weighed it on my jewelry scale in grams tells me they are smaller &amp; lighter than the object balls, which is why it draws better and it has a higher finish, which gives it more action especially off of the rails. A heavier ball will follow better, so the super pro aramith cue ball is the best choice, it follows &amp; draws better than a red circle. ..."<hr /></blockquote>

???

And when he says things like "nobody knew" this or that, I can assure you many people long before knew what the author ever figured out.

And finally, if you're paying $200 for Centennials or SuperPros, you're not doing your homework.

Fred

Brent
01-23-2004, 10:29 AM
I also think Larry is 100% right. I was in a international tournament a few months back and when the matches started referees brought brand new aramith super pro balls to the table. At first I was like WOW..sweet pro balls brand new n all. But after a few think cuts I was like WTF is going on...I was missing cuts all day just because I was used to dirty balls at my local poolhall.

Rich R.
01-23-2004, 10:33 AM
Fred, FL had this same discussion on the CCB, some time ago. I have to make the assumption that dirty pool balls must be an advantage when doing trick shots. Of course, that is just my assumption and anyone can correct me if I am wrong.

I prefer clean pool balls to play real pool games.

DoomCue
01-23-2004, 11:09 AM
Dirty balls will create more friction, too, won't they? That should increase collision-induced throw, which is something I want to avoid. I guess Fred will correct me if I'm wrong here (hopefully). I suppose if I were a "trick-shot artist" (personally, I see nothing "artistic" about trick shots) I'd want the increased friction so any crazy spin shots would take effect, but I'm not, so I don't.

I'd rather have the cleanest balls I can.

-djb &lt;-- don't take that last statement wrong, get your mind out of the gutter, people /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JimS
01-23-2004, 11:37 AM
Playing with dirty balls can be an advantage if you are used to it and know how to compensate for the extra throw.

The extra throw coming from the increased friction can be compensated for by allowing a little extra room for error in that direction. The extra throw can be used sometimes to aid in position play by changing the cut angle.

But...anywhere but bar league I want decent, i.e. clean, equipment. In bar league it doesn't matter what I want, the equipment will not be decent or clean or even all there....that's part of why I finally gave up and quit league.

JohnnyP
01-23-2004, 01:32 PM
I think his choice of the word "dirty" has caused some confusion.

When he says "dirty", he doesn't mean "filthy". He just doesn't want them washed and "squeaky clean".

He says wipe them down with a rag before putting them away, spending no more than a couple seconds on each ball. These sound plenty clean to me, especially if you do it every day.

He also doesn't like people poking his object balls with a cue. I heard the same thing from Wayne Norcross at Danny K's. He pointed out that the chalk is like sandpaper, and will mar the finish on the balls, changing the way they throw.

Troy
01-23-2004, 02:24 PM
Typical FL... Lotsa words &amp; contradictions. Like sizzle without steak.

recoveryjones
01-23-2004, 03:41 PM
Wow, It's really cool to hear the different viewpoints on a certain subject. As for me I don't know too much on the finer points of the game so its all interesting to me.I neither agree or disagree with Fast larry simply because I DON'T KNOW.
Having said that I think he was trying to point out a difference between dirty and filthy balls however his choice of the word dirty may have been misundrestood and not the best choice of words to explain what I think he was trying to explain.Having said that I know I've personally missed some straight in easy shots because of FILTHY balls.I have had situations where I've shot the ball(straight in and easy shot) and its reacted really funny and been thrown a way off line.When people use an object ball as a cue ball (in practice) the chalk mark left can create throw. Also things like potatoe chip grease, hair etc. etc don't make the pot any easier.
I say keep the balls clean however cleaning them with anything other than a dry rag or a rag with a little h2o might also have an adverse effect that I don't know about.I'm not an expert on how waxes and ball cleaners may or may not effect object balls.Having said that, I come to this forum to learn and so far, I haven't been dissapointed, thanks. RJ

Rod
01-23-2004, 04:12 PM
As usual Larry missed the mark making his comment as Fred suggested. The thing to know is when your playing in a pool room, the balls are not always clean unless they have just been polished. Knowing there clean, your not likely to get those funny rolls, such as skids, excess throw, etc. If you know they are not clean then it is wise to realize on some cut shots especially at a slower speed to use a tad of helping english to offset contact induced throw. If the cloth is new, with balls that are not clean then a tad of helping english is almost mandatory. The firmer the shot the less you need be concerned with contact induced throw.

Rod