PDA

View Full Version : Talent Level Of Posters On Diff Boards Question

Sid_Vicious
01-23-2004, 06:56 PM
What's the general feelings about how us on the CCB ranks with other billiard discussion groups? I've had scoffs thrown at me when I mention getting advice from this board, saying "That CCB doesn't represent the true mainstream of the pool business" and I wondered...how do y'all feel about the overall talent pool here compared to the other billiard discussion boards? I personally feel that there are more superior pool people here that elsewhere(not suggesting myself as premier mind you.)

Whatcha think???sid

recoveryjones
01-23-2004, 07:31 PM
Hi Sid, I belong to three other forums and I find this one the busiest and with the most knowledgeable and mature posters with such a huge variety of posts. I have truly learned a lot.Having said that there will be as different and varied number of comments and opinions posted here as there are strokes and pool cue selections.I find I can come here and take what can help me and leave the rest.Personally I have so much to learn and enthusiasticaly I read the posts to do so.I'm sure we have C+ players here all the way up to the pro level as everyone has something to contribute.Some of the contributions here are excellent. Thanks to everyone who posts. RJ

woody_968
01-23-2004, 07:54 PM
I have only breifly participated in some of the other boards. I find the people here not only knowledgeable, but more importantly, willing to share that knowledge. In the brief time I have been active on these boards I do feel like I have learned alot. Having someone like Scott Lee, (just to mention one, as there are many) who is willing to participate in discussions and give up suggestions that some would only do if being paid, to me, is what makes this board so great.

I have been on boards where people would say they know something special, tease ya so to speak, but not be willing to give up the goods.

One thing I learned in golf, is you can learn something from every level of player, if you will just watch and at times listen with an open mind.

tateuts
01-23-2004, 08:30 PM
Well, I sure would like to know which board is better!

I have found the information here very useful. What's helpful is we have a variety of expertise, from instructors to cue-makers, players, pool table guys, collectors/dealers, and fans. After a 20 year layoff from pool, I found there was a lot of catching up to do.

Chris

Sid_Vicious
01-23-2004, 08:46 PM
Chris...I'm nearly exclusively using only this board, but the generalities I hear from some who post here about past matches with the greats, and present competitive ventures of national/world status today seem to indicate to me that we here on this board have more depth. I guess it is the comments from those who insistently try to run down the aspect of "internet pool help" prompted me to push this question onto the board today. Thanks..sid

bluewolf
01-23-2004, 11:59 PM
What I like about ccb is this. You can gets lots of knowlege on other boards. you can get lots of pool knowlege here too.

But aside from the pool knowlege, which is very deep here, it is just plain interesting here. You get the knowlege here and you get personality too.

The boards which are more moderated are a relief at times when this one ocasionally gets a little 'flamey', but in general that seems to be in check here, with strong opinion and not too often crossing the line into cut throat personal insults. CCb is imo the funnest place to be.

Laura

9 Ball Girl
01-24-2004, 02:12 AM
All I can say is that while we were in Virginia last year during the U.S. Open, I was told by someone who shall remain nameless but knows who they are, that they've met up with other people from other boards to play and so far those of us from the CCB that were there were far more better--we actually know what we're doing and how to play etc.

Foxtrott
01-24-2004, 05:04 AM
Personally I go to 3 boards as I get different opinions at the boards and also learn different things . I will say though the most edjucated things come from here as the people seem less eratic and the posts are monitered better here .Also you have a very diverse crowd from shooters to cuemakers to common people here and the staff is cool too . A real good mix . I hang here but post and read at the others also .

Fred Agnir
01-24-2004, 07:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> What's the general feelings about how us on the CCB ranks with other billiard discussion groups? I've had scoffs thrown at me when I mention getting advice from this board, saying "That CCB doesn't represent the true mainstream of the pool business" and I wondered...how do y'all feel about the overall talent pool here compared to the other billiard discussion boards? I personally feel that there are more superior pool people here that elsewhere(not suggesting myself as premier mind you.)

Whatcha think???sid <hr /></blockquote>

I've got something to say.

IMO, there are only two pool forums that get the scrutiny. The CCboard and RSB. The other three or four either are too new to give them a fair shakedown or are part of a site whose forum isn't the dominant feature (though they get plenty of visits).

Each board has A-players through D-players. Each has some pros. Each has an instructor or two. A cuemaker here, a casemaker there. Each has the know-it-all, the yes men, the wise crack, the peacemaker, the helping hand, the wily old veteran, the voice of reason, and the instigator.

One of the major differences between RSB and the CCBoard is that RSB has been around longer and is a throwback to the early years of any forum. Therefore, it was built on a foundation of members in the technical community who happen to like pool. And that trend has continued, making the overall discussion more towards technical or any subject with the hint of technicality will get bombarded by several people on that front. The technical cuemaking discussion when Clawson Cues (Predator) was new was fought on RSB and laid the groundwork for every technical post answered on any other forum about cues and squirt.

The CCBoard started much later, when people other than scientists and engineers were using computers. So, the regular person is what the CCBoard was founded on. That is, primarily pool players who happen to have a computer. Plus, Fran Crimi and George Fels were instrumental in setting the tone for subject matter and the direction they went.

Any new forum seeker will quickly see that RSB is not for the thin skinned. None of USENET is. That's just the way it is. Go to the alt.fan.harry-potter site, and prepare to be bar-b-qued by little runts barely out of the 5th grade. That's the environment of USENET.

Okay, so what about the players? Well, many of us have at one time or another frequented both or all of the forums. Some of us have met members from both forums.

The best overall player of both that I would call a regular contributor? Steve Lipsky most likely. And Steve has contributed to both groups.

Most technically knowledgeable? Bob Jewett and Ron Shepard. Both from RSB. No surprise. What might be surprising is that both Bob and Ron are very good players, better than I am. Ron by a little and Bob by a lot.

Most knowledgeable overall, non-technical? Dick Leonard most likely, but I've never had the pleasure of meeting him. And though Dick used to surf RSB, he's a CCBer.

I've had the pleasure of playing many people from both groups. The truth is, most if not all are great people and some have become good friends over the years. But, that's neither here nor there. Bottom line, RSB was built on technical folks who liked to play pool. CCB was built on pool players that had computers. Some players are better here. Some are better there. Unless they're technically-minded, no new forum seeker who plays a good game has any reason to stick around RSB anymore.

As to the other question, I've always said that the internet community doesn't represent pool mainstream. We as a whole spend more and are more knowledgeable about the inner workings of the pool industry. We know the difference between Instroke, Justis, and Whitten. We know that cue brands start with something other than the letter "M." We travel to amateur and professional events to watch. So, no, we don't represent the overall mainstream.

Fred

Fred Agnir
01-24-2004, 07:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> All I can say is that while we were in Virginia last year during the U.S. Open, I was told by someone who shall remain nameless but knows who they are, that they've met up with other people from other boards to play and so far those of us from the CCB that were there were far more better--we actually know what we're doing and how to play etc. <hr /></blockquote> Thanks Wendy, but I don't mind being "not nameless." It is true that when I went to the US Open to meet other people, that was the highest overall level of pool I saw from a forum gathering. And I've been to many. There wasn't a bad player in the bunch. It was refreshing.

A month later, I went to Chicago (Midwest Open) and met up with a bunch or RSBers (many of whom I've met before). Well, not a bunch, maybe 8? And most were in the B- on up range. Along with semi-retired pro billiard player and once-in-a-while CCBer Deno Andrews, Ron Shepard author of Amateur Physics for the Amateur Pool Player, John (Collins) Barton founder and former owner of Instroke, and Lou Figueroa an A-player who finished in the top 20 in the one-pocket the last two years at the DCC. Strong group. We played two tournaments simultaneously: 9-ball and one-pocket. Never again. Tough organization. Lots of downtime waiting.

Pat Johnson of the infamous Dr. D book review was also there and I'm happy to report that he played a ball or two better than the last time I saw him play.

But, don't get me wrong, that little group represented several of RSB's better players. The overal play out of the CCBoard, IMO, is a higher level, due to what I explained in my lengthier post.

Fred &lt;~~~ nameless no more

Ross
01-24-2004, 01:11 PM
Fred,
Wow, what a reply! I never thought about the historical reasons that RSB tends to be more technical than CCB. Great insight.

I started out as an RSB lurker/poster and still check it out from time to time. I can't tell you how many interesting discussions I've read or participated in over there. For any of you RSB'ers out there, remember the "Jacksonville Project"? And didn't Bob Jewett having players launch balls off a table with no end rail to test different weights of break sticks? (Maybe I dreamed that one..) Or the highly entertaining John Collins (Barton) vs. Lou Figueroa marathon bark-fests?

I don't find either RSB or CCB to be "superior" to the other. They are just different flavors, and fortunately we are all free to taste whichever one we prefer. Or both.

Personally, I find CCB to be a "warmer" forum than RSB. Lots of friendly folks over here. And while most everyone has contributed to the generally positive discussions over here (well, maybe except a certain FL!) I have to give major credit to Chris C and Heidi for what they've added to the mix here. At the risk of sounding overly corny, I will say they've added a lot of warmth and humanity to this board. Such positive attitudes are infectious and it really is hard to be too much of a grouch around these people! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Then you have Scott Lee traveling to all of our homes and sharing his remarkable enthusiasm for the game! And Chris from Boone, one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, and crazy Kato, and wild 9-Ball Girl, and Rich R, and SPetty who has CCB'ers over to her private pool Shangri-La, the list goes on and on... And of course all of the top players we have who have posted fairly regularly over time- Lipsky, Leonard, Fran, Chris, Rod, and so on...

And another bene of CCB has been the two great CCB US Open tournaments where a lot of us got to get to know each other on a personal basis. All-in-all they seemed to be a great bunch of guys and gals, who could play some pretty bang-up pool.

So I'm partial to CCB, but I'm still a fan of RSB as well. I don't visit AzB or playpool.com that often. Somehow they just don't "hook" me.

Ross ~ glad Fred came over to CCB

woody_968
01-24-2004, 01:51 PM
Where is the RSB board?

PQQLK9
01-24-2004, 01:54 PM
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&amp;lr=&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;group=rec.sport.billiard

Kato
01-24-2004, 04:05 PM
I was deferring to your reply as I've never been to RSB.

I think you make a great point about us not being the mainstream of pool. The mainstream of pool plays league pool on Tuesday nights and a tournament once in a while. We travel, we pay, we watch, we play, and we discuss. We know who the pros, the pretenders, and the shortstops are. We're definitely not the mainstream.

Kato

Ralph S.
01-24-2004, 05:27 PM
Fred, your reply was right on the money as far as I am concerned. One thing that was overlooked though, is the fact that the CCB also has an overwhelming amount of compassion for its fellow memebers. This is something that is lacking in the other forums, as far as I am concerned.

I also feel that the overall talent pool is much higher here than any other board. I have also never seen Steve Lipsky play, but based off of posts and what others have said, he very well could be the top player on our board.

Steve Lipsky
01-24-2004, 05:42 PM
Thanks Fred, but I'm not real comfortable with that distinction. David Sapolis played regularly on the pro tour, and Dick Leonard (though you mentioned him in another "category" /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) was probably among the best players in the world at his prime.

Then there's Chris Cass, who's beaten quite a few champions in his time. When he fully recovers, he's gonna be beatin' em again. And although I've never seen him play, Rod writes with the insight of a helluva player.

I also have a feeling Popcorn either played or plays at a top level.

Joe Tucker, although a more infrequent contributor, is a tremendously strong player as well. His gracious help in reading a rack, in particular, cannot be overstated.

Whatever the case may be, I think it's fair to say the CCB has more than its rightful share of talent. We're all pretty lucky.

- Steve

Kato
01-24-2004, 08:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> I have also never seen Steve Lipsky play, but based off of posts and what others have said, he very well could be the top player on our board. <hr /></blockquote>

Steve happens to be a very modest person. He is an extremely good player. I will say this though, as much fun as I have had watching Steve play I had that much more fun having coffee with him and just chatting him up. He's a gentleman, a tribute to our game, and a tribute to the human race in my opinion. Take it for what it's worth but I'd hang out with him any day of the week.

Kato

PS. When the Cassman is 100% or close he's going to be a force to be reckoned with.

Voodoo Daddy
01-24-2004, 08:55 PM
I'm glad I wasnt mentioned because my name shouldnt collide with the likes of Steve Lipsky or Chris Cass in the same sentance. Grady has posted here, I hear he still plays a 'lil....

Voodoo~~~played his best pool when no one was lookin'

JohnBarton
01-25-2004, 12:18 PM
Well - all y'all at CCB can get the 8 :-))

I haven't met a lot of people who have identified themselves to me as CCBers nor have I played many of them. I have met and played with a lot of RSBers both regular posters and lurkers. There are a lot of posters on RSB who can run racks - pro speed - maybe not - but some who look awfully good when they are on.

These days I tend to skip most of the discussions about HOW to play but when I was tuning in to them I found that most times in RSB credible information was provided.

I am relatively new to CCB since I never really liked browsing web based newsgroups. But I have to say that the tone here is reminiscient of the old RSB, the RSB of 1996-98 when the tone was primarily friendly and pretty much flame free.

I think that in either group real and credible pool knowledge is available from good and great players. CCB gets the warm and fuzzies award while RSB can tell you why your 47 layer chicken skin tip is deflecting .0008987987 to the right when you pump-slip stroke with backhand english.

If we come to an RSB-CCB shootout though I have to stick with my first home on the net and hope I get the invite to represent RSB.

:-)) John - likes both!

JimS
01-25-2004, 02:17 PM
Talent.....well...um...Chris Cass does one hellofa rendition of Lady of Spain on the accordian /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif and I hear that Kato... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif .....well maybe we won't go there.........

Ralph S.
01-25-2004, 03:31 PM
Well, it looks like we need to set up a BBC-RSB Shoot-out. We could make this a yearly event at say the DCC starting next January. This would be a friendly event with bragging rights only, on the line. Maybe have championship trophy to stay with the winner from year to year. This could be a very fun and very huge get together. Who knows? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

JimS
01-25-2004, 04:34 PM
Yeah...I'm sure it would be a FRIENDLY event. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

daviddjmp
01-25-2004, 06:39 PM
I posted just once on RSB and the discussion completely left the topic I posted about and disintegrated into the most immature egocentric diatribe I have ever read. Needless to say, that was my first and last post there. This is a far more mature and intelligent group of folks-

ras314
01-25-2004, 08:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> Well, it looks like we need to set up a BBC-RSB Shoot-out. We could make this a yearly event at say the DCC starting next January. This would be a friendly event with bragging rights only, on the line. Maybe have championship trophy to stay with the winner from year to year. This could be a very fun and very huge get together. Who knows? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Hmmm...Steve Lipsky, the Cassman, Rod, Popcorn, Scott Lee, Fred Adair, ect.

Who might be on the RSB team? Or the AzBilliards teams?

JimS
01-26-2004, 07:24 AM
Fred Adair is a good idea. He's a talented dancer!

Fred Agnir
01-26-2004, 07:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> Fred Adair is a good idea. He's a talented dancer! <hr /></blockquote> Sounds like a doctor. Or a writer.

Fred something

eg8r
01-26-2004, 07:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fred Adair <hr /></blockquote> Who??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r

ras314
01-26-2004, 08:20 AM
OMG, I have committed the immortal sin of using the wrong name.

Well, it's cold here with no heat and I was wearing gloves to type? Uh...that dog don't hunt.

Long day and I just got stupid?

My apoloiges Fred. To late to edit the dumb post I guess.

JimS
01-26-2004, 08:38 AM
Astair!!!!! that's it!!!!!!! Good ole Fred ASTAIR!!!!! boy oh boy could that cat dance..... when he typed Adair I thought about talent and..um...tap dancing and...um....well...I..uh.. see how ras is trying to "tap dance" his way out of his mitten's typing?

Foxtrott
01-26-2004, 08:49 AM
Speaking of boards did they close the players paridise board ? I cannot find the link

RedHell
01-26-2004, 09:04 AM
Fred,

I have to admit that I agree with you, but not totaly. Tho you mentioned you had to be thick skin, I feel RSB has way to much "mine's bigger than yours" fight. You are right when you mention the technical level is amazing on RSB and that's about all that catch my attention when I go and read there.

When I discovered CCB, I discovered respect and maturity compared to RSB. If I had a stupidity filter on my newsgroup reader, I would be reading RSB a lot, saddly technology doesn't allow yet !

For knowledge level, I think there's more knowledge in RSB but that's because I'm technicaly inclined. The better discussion are here tho !

ras314
01-26-2004, 11:53 AM
I couldn't even get Astair right...duh. Used to know a guy named Adair? sheeesh. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
01-26-2004, 11:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> I couldn't even get Astair right...duh. Used to know a guy named Adair? sheeesh. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/6304943652.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

ever see "Hellfighters" with John Wayne?

dg-in-centralpa
01-26-2004, 12:53 PM
After reading allthe other posts I figured it's time to add my two cents. I was a lurker here for a couple months but didn't know of any other forums. I joined here for the information/advice that was handed out. Everybody has some sort of advice/opinion to give. It's just a matter of what each person does with it. To me, the board seemed like a big family. We fight with each other, sometimes very heated. But let someone new jump into the mix, and everyone is against that person. The comraderie here is fantastic! If someone has problems, we all share their grief or happiness. Whichever it is. I've never seen this kind of friendship from such a wide variety of people of all over the country. Some of whom never met each other.
The friendships we've made here are lasting friendships. We all share a common cause, to promote our sport and to share our insight in the game with one another.

DG - definitely not a pro or semi-pro, just loves the sport

Tom_In_Cincy
01-26-2004, 12:56 PM
A few problems with the server last week, but all is well now.

Pool Players Paradise (http://www.poolplayersparadise.com/index.php)

eg8r
01-26-2004, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't even get Astair right...duh. <hr /></blockquote> LOL. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

jjinfla
01-26-2004, 03:14 PM
Sid, I didn't bother to read any of the answers but when I think of all the really top and/or knowledgeable players who posted here in the past five years, and then were put down and/or ridiculed, until they left, I really have to believe that the quality must be better on the other boards.

Hell, even George Fels left this board.

So why do I keep checking this board out? I ask myself that question a lot lately. Force of habit I guess. But I really do not spend all that much time here anymore.

Jake

Rod
01-26-2004, 03:21 PM
As mentioned, forums have a variety of talents ranging from near pro level to a beginner. To say, don't take advice from certain forums is very short-sided IMO. It's not the forum; it's the individuals that make up the forum. Some people are more than qualified on either forum to answer certain questions. It's up to the reader to use all or a part of answers that they feel is beneficial to helping their game.

While I'm at it, what often gets overlooked, IMO is the bulk of the forum is made up of beginner to above average players, if you will. Many of these players may be just average but they contribute valuable information that I haven't a clue where to look without doing a lot of research. Most questions or posts are not about the technical side but people looking for information. They're the ones that should get a pat on the back for being so helpful.

I felt honored that my name was mentioned in the likes of such company, but my best playing days are behind me. I feel there are few strong players that post on occasion that were not mentioned. Be that as it may, it would be interesting to see or read about a friendly match up between two forums.

Rod

houstondan
01-26-2004, 11:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Be that as it may, it would be interesting to see or read about a friendly match up between two forums.

Rod
<hr /></blockquote>

ill take rsb for the explaining and ccb for the shootin.

should be an interesting calcutta.

dan

Alfie
01-28-2004, 05:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> To me, the board seemed like a big family. We fight with each other, sometimes very heated. But let someone new jump into the mix, and everyone is against that person. The comraderie here is fantastic! <hr /></blockquote>This is a bug, not a feature.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> We all share a common cause, to promote our sport and to share our insight in the game with one another.<hr /></blockquote>... and to feed our internet addictions
/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
01-29-2004, 08:04 AM
CCB is better because we have cute girls that play damn good

RedHell
01-30-2004, 01:16 PM
I tought you guys would be interested in following this RSB thread on the subjetc:

Can RSBers play pool ? (http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&amp;hl=en&amp;lr=&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;oe=UTF8&amp;safe=off&amp;threadm=101kr3ek7bevjfd%40news. supernews.com&amp;prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF8%26safe%3Doff%26group%3Drec.sport.bil liard)

Kato
01-30-2004, 02:41 PM
Well, it seems they believe they are smarter.............I certainly don't pretend to be the smartest guy in the world I'm surely not an engineer but at least the last few posters are honest.

As far as that line about lot's of Californian's? What's that all about? Are Californian's all "lovey dovey" Flower Children types?

As far as engaging in an IQ test or a battle of wits with a bunch of engineer's I would only have one question.............WHY? I don't have a clue how to build a cue or measure deflection, I just accept that it's done. All I care about is that balls disappear when I'm at the table, that has to due with gravity and judging from my waistline, that's something I fully understand /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato

tateuts
01-30-2004, 05:53 PM
Wow - The format of that RSB Board is terrible. I got a headache just looking at the one thread. How can anyone hang there?

Chris

PQQLK9
01-30-2004, 06:05 PM
I 2nd that emotion

Frank_Glenn
01-30-2004, 06:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> What's the general feelings about how us on the CCB ranks with other billiard discussion groups? <hr /></blockquote>

I don't know, I haven't played with them all yet.

Fred Agnir
01-30-2004, 06:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> Wow - The format of that RSB Board is terrible. I got a headache just looking at the one thread. How can anyone hang there?

Chris <hr /></blockquote>I know this won't make any difference, but the thread you guys are reading is through the Google Groups website. Each of you has a newsreader and can download free newsreaders that access rec.sport.billiard with a much better format. A format that you can personalize.

Fred &lt;~~~ people have got to discover USENET

PQQLK9
01-30-2004, 07:28 PM
<hr /></blockquote>Fred &lt;~~~ people have got to discover USENET <hr /></blockquote>
I remember when it was called a Bulletin Board before Al Gore invented the Internet.

sandgnat
01-30-2004, 08:59 PM
That is RICH! However, I think if you do a little research you will discover he was also responsible for USENET. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif