PDA

View Full Version : I miss pool

Cuemage
01-24-2004, 08:19 AM
Well, its been quite a long time since I've posted here; mostly because I quit playing pool(the last time I held a cue was during Scott Lee's lesson in Charlotte). The excuses come by the dozens (not enough time, working 2 jobs, taking classes, all the old regulars moved on, etc.), but I think the real reason is I just can't get past the smoke (health reasons). All of the local rooms come furnished with wall-to-wall smoke. Even going during the day is no longer pleasant as the smell of stale smoke waffs around the room. The closest smoke-free room is in Boone (Chris, I will eventually visit), some 3 hours away. I even went to a Pro event in TN & had to leave early due to the smoke. You seriously couldn't see the top of the bleachers it was so thick.
I guess I'm having trouble understanding why such a nasty habit has ingrained itself so within the lovely world of pool rooms. Living vicariously through venues such as this forum, or pool on TV, or Accu-Stats, or pool mags doesnt quell the desire for pool...it feeds it. As pleasurable as they are nothing beats the feeling of sinking a particularly hard shot or running a rack out. Alas, I guess I will have to wait until my garage gets remodeled before I can participate again in my most beloved hobby.
Thanks for allowing me to vent, and if you have some cheese to go with this whine, then please contribute.

tha Cuemage

JimS
01-24-2004, 09:12 AM
Get out the hammer and get that garage done!

bigshooter
01-24-2004, 09:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> Get out the hammer and get that garage done! <hr /></blockquote>

Or a better idea is to support your states non smoking coalition and get smoking banned in pool rooms like it should be.

This is not the 1950's and no one should be subject to other peoples deadly habits in public places any longer.

I am not for banning smoking but if you want to smoke do it outside or at home, You say play pool at home, I say go smoke at home and let me play pool where I want to.

Is it any wonder that the majority of the world doesn't take our sport seriously, we try to pass ourselves off as being just as athletic and talented as any other sport but then a mom or dad takes their kid to visit a "family" pool hall and its filled with smoke, give me a break.

Many if not most bowling centers are now smoke free and are reporting that after a short period of decline that business is now better than ever since new customers are walking into a smoke free environment.

I live in Tulsa and smoking is banned in public places except for restaurants and bars which covers every pool hall I know of but I am hoping that now that the anti smokers have their foot in the door we can change it to include those too.

I'm sure a lot of people hate this post but I really don't care as long as I don't have to inhale your obnoxious poison.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

PQQLK9
01-24-2004, 10:25 AM
You probably missed this thread.
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/favlinker.php?Cat=&amp;Entry=838&amp;F_Board=ccb&amp;Thread=11 3340&amp;partnumber=&amp;postmarker=

Cuemage
01-24-2004, 11:01 AM
tx for tha info PQQLK9. That thread certainly shows I'm not alone in my feelings. For those of you tired of this subject, I will apologize...as soon as you apologize for blowing smoke over the table when we're playing.

tha Cuemage

preacherman
01-24-2004, 01:02 PM
Sorry to hear that smoking has hindered your going out to play pool. My wife gets very asthmatic and has thus not played for almost a year on any league. I am starting a team this coming Thursday, she is going to try to play, but will have to take medication before hand due to the smoking.

We do have our own pool table and that is where we do most of our playing.

Hope you can find a non-smoking pool establishment soon.
Take a look at the list I have on my website, and if you or others know of any others please email me.

My site of non-smoking pool establishments is:
www.geocities.com/pool4christ/wholesomepool.html (http://www.geocities.com/pool4christ/wholesomepool.html)

Hope that non-smokers don't get upset, but hope they understand it makes pool very tough for non-smokers
especially if it causes health problems.

I am not a smoker and personally prefer no smoking, but can live with the smoking if I have to.

Jim "preacherman"
Main website: www.christianpoolplayers.com (http://www.christianpoolplayers.com)

Popcorn
01-24-2004, 04:12 PM
How does a pool room qualify as a "Wholesome Pool Hall"?

Foxtrott
01-24-2004, 10:17 PM
As my Brothers and Myself were considering opening a new room in our area the subject has come up to put in Glass partitions to have a non smoking section .I was a smoker for years but have quit a few months back and actually the smell kinda gets to me now. My argument was that we may be able to have more family type atmosphier also as there would be an area with no smoke and as you say people that need to be in a non smoke enviornment . The argue against me is this
-Splitting the big room up is bad its like watching 2 rooms
-You have only a few that will mind smoke
-The expense to do so
If I could get a bunch of Emails showing that people would like it that would help my Idea.If anyone has a good opinion on this matter please e mail it to owner@tradedepo.com
That would be a start . Thanks

woody_968
01-25-2004, 01:17 AM
The problem I would see with having smoking and non-smoking in one building is the smoking side would be busy and the non-smoking side empty. Many posts as to people being in these types of places and seeing what I am talking about have already been posted. I would say if you want non-smoking, then make the whole building non-smoking.

BTW, in the other thread you said you were training for the tour, sounds like ya got alot on your plate.

Foxtrott
01-25-2004, 01:30 AM
Just trying to keep pool %100 in my life as my brothers are also . We are thinking of a family business .Heck we are not getting younger .Pool hall with a small resteraunt in the back . I also think I can train there during the day maybe when its slow .I will agree if I hamper my consentration and do not focus on things correctly .It will all be a waste of time .Hey I really get tierd of shooting and shooting and shooting . Thats the main reason I surf the boards . I can stay on the subject somehow but also have a different view.You also pick up a few things here and there and also a few people set you back on track here and there .You are right I must Focus.

preacherman
01-25-2004, 06:20 AM
Wholesome as defined by the dictionary: "Promoting or conductive to good health or well-being." What qualifies as a wholesome pool hall are places that promote a healthy environment, such as non-smoking, not conducive to alcohol abuse and/or promote a family atmosphere.

Jim "Preacherman"
www.christianpoolplayers.com (http://www.christianpoolplayers.com)

JimS
01-25-2004, 07:00 AM
Dividing between smoking and no smoking is a good idea.

You might also want to consider having the front be reserved for the attractive people with the less-than-attractive being directed to the rear tables.

Foxtrott
01-25-2004, 07:04 AM
Your absolutly right. We will have you play at the back tables /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

peet234
01-25-2004, 11:57 AM
As you know you are fairly close to a large cigarette manufacturer in WS. I believe change there will be slower in coming, unless someone takes it upon themselves to create a new establishment.

I lived in G'bo for 5 years. The first time I ever visited, people were still smoking in grocery stores. I was a smoker then and it still bothered me. Now that I've relapsed (after being quit for 5 years) I really think places could be smoke-free if the places doing it had a balanced approach. Even a stoop out back (for a quick smoke) wouldn't be bad. When I quit again, I'm sure I won't be able to go to the place I go to now.