PDA

View Full Version : Move 3 piece slate table with no dissasembly?

R_Andersen
01-24-2004, 08:23 AM
I'm going to pick up a used 3 slate Gandy 8' table today and I'm not sure about how to move it. I have a van that I will be using and I was hoping I could just remove the legs and slide the whole table into the van in 1 piece. I may have to lean it on an angle to fit but would support it from below. Is this possible or am I going to damage the table by moving it this way? I'd really prefer to avoid completely dissasembling the table if I could.

Thanks for any advice,
Rob

Harold Acosta
01-24-2004, 08:40 AM
Disassemble the Table. The slate is going to shift from position anyway if you put the table sideways into your van. There is the possibility of the slate cracking also.

Just my 2 cents...

woody_968
01-24-2004, 08:47 AM
Take it apart. It will be much easier to handle, and you will have much less chance of damaging something. Gandys are nice tables, dont take the risk of messing it up before you even get to play on it because you tried to take a short cut.

JimS
01-24-2004, 09:09 AM
Take it apart!!!!!

It will be way too heavy for two guys to handle without risk of injury to you or the table or both. And, as has been said you stand a good chance of cracking the slate if you have to lay it on an angle.

I know it's a hassle but it needs to be disassembled and then reassembled properly by someone who knows what he's doing. It's not rocket science but it does take experience. I've watched and helped 3 or 4 times and that's enough for me to know that I don't want to do it without experienced help.

Chris Cass
01-24-2004, 12:37 PM
Hi Rob,

Put down the table and back away. Noone gets hurt. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Take the time to take it down, it's worth the ounce of prevention.

Regards,

C.C.

logixrat
01-24-2004, 03:29 PM
I'll just add to the mass of replies to TAKE APART THE TABLE!! It's truly the only way you can move it, w/o risking damage to it. I too recently bought a used 3 piece slate table, and had to do the same thing. The disassemble and moving went rather fast, and was completed in 30-45 minutes. Plus, I have moved a 1 piece slate table still assembled and it proved to be much much more painful than just breaking apart the 3 piece slate table. That's why this last table was 3 piece...easier to move, plus easier to level!!

By the way, if you are decently mechanical you can probably setup the table and reassemble it yourself. I too was nervous as this was the first table I had seen or participated in the actual setup. It took me about 3-4 hours altogether, but that was because I took extra time making sure everything was level. That is the KEY part to a good playing table. To do the job right, you will need to get a machinist level (aka Starrett level). Get the 12" model, as the others are too small/big to give accurate readings. Brand new they are about $135, but can be found on ebay for $50 or so. Still cheaper than having someone come out and level and re-assemble it for you. The pro's charge about $200+.

Good luck with it!! I've heard only good thing about the Gandy tables, so I'm sure you will enjoy it once you get the initial move/setup done.

R_Andersen
01-24-2004, 05:00 PM
Ok, thanks for the advice guys. I picked the table up today and it is in excellent shape. Considering I got it for $300 with all the accessories I'm pretty happy. We did end up taking it apart and it went well. We had it apart and loaded in the van in about 30 minutes. I'm going to set it back up myself so we'll see how that goes, but I doubt it should be a problem and I do have access to the right tools for the job (machinist's level, etc..)

Thanks,
Rob

JimS
01-24-2004, 09:44 PM
Glad it went well. Sounds like a great buy!!

Does you mean you intend to level it, fill the seams in the slate and recover it yourself? I'd again put in my word for professional help with those tasks. Give a table mechanic a job /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Foxtrott
01-24-2004, 10:01 PM
Mutch agreed Jim , I would get an installer . Sounds like you got a great deal and you would still be way ahead if you paid a pro to finish it off for you . I know it is probibly eating at you to play now that the table is there but you'll have a nicer table if done properly .Congats man

logixrat
01-25-2004, 12:34 AM
As I noted in one of your other posts, that is an awesome deal you got, and they are right...even if you hired a pro to come in and set the table up, you would still be ahead of the game. And although there is nothing wrong with doing that, I think it might be at least worthwhile to try it yourself, especially if you have access to a machinist level. At worst case scenario, you don't get it like you want and then have to call them out.

But I will agree it takes some time, and can be a pain in the rear. Still I am glad I did the setup on my table. I learned alot more about it, plus have a real sense of pride when I play on it.

Good luck!

R_Andersen
01-26-2004, 07:16 AM
Ok, I finished setting up the table last night. It actually went faster than I thought. The leveling was the hardest part but it seems to have come out really good. I used Bondo to fill the seams and putting on the felt was easier than I excpected too. Thanks for the advice guys and now it's time to start posting for help on my game /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-Rob

logixrat
01-26-2004, 12:05 PM
Yeup, it's not too terrible, but the leveling can be a pain. That is where I spent the majority of my time. Also, if you have carpet where the table sits, expect to re-level in a few months after the table "breaks" itself in. Of course, it helps when you have the right tools like a machinist level.

Now, just lots of enjoyment & improving.