PDA

View Full Version : Taking a quick trip to Dallas...

MarkUrsel
01-24-2004, 04:13 PM
...and looking for a decent place to play near Frisco. Any good ideas? Anyone feel like a game who lives near there?

PoolFool
01-24-2004, 08:12 PM
Give me some info and I'll try to help. What dates will you be here? What size table? Do you prefer pool room or bar?
(I'm talking about a pool bar with above average players)

PoolFool

MarkUrsel
01-25-2004, 06:27 AM
Prefer 9' tables, but not too snobby about it. The 14th and 15th are the days I'd like to get out a play a bit. Pool room or upscale bar would be preferable. Thanks for the help!

OnePocketChamp
01-25-2004, 07:33 AM
Let me know where you guys are going to play and when, I'll try to make it. I never try to miss an opportunity to play a Yankee!!!!!!!!

SPetty
01-25-2004, 08:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MarkUrsel:</font><hr> Pool room or upscale bar would be preferable.<hr /></blockquote>I think you might enjoy CJ Wiley's Carson's on the tollroad. There's also a Dave &amp; Buster's in that mall in Frisco at Preston &amp; 121. You can't go wrong with anywhere PoolFool recommends.

Sid_Vicious
01-25-2004, 09:38 AM
Frisco is a hop-skip-jump fro Richardson and all of north Dallas, so if it was me I'd hit one of the many halls there. You wouldn't be far from the colony either, there's a hall or so over there, but I've not been there in years. CJs is gonna be real pricey if you wanted to play in the evening, I'm too tight to pay those prices but his day rates used to be good and you can hardly beat those Diamonds and cola refills after purchasing the first one. Very upscale, grandioso billiards establishment, basically gambling free as I remember it though.

I usually frequent the no. Dallas places where I play league, much more financially agreeable to me, and I find more "players" and action there. What day/night are you going to be here? There's no lack of rooms that you'll like Mark, stay in touch with your travel details...sid

PoolFool
01-25-2004, 10:39 AM
Sid is right, you have a wide choice from Frisco. The 15th is a Sunday and Click's on Marsh and Rosemeade has a very good tournament (9 ball on 9ft.) on Sunday nights with some very good players normally showing up. Carson's Palace is about as upscale as anyplace in Dallas but is more of a social meeting place than serious pool hall. All of these places are easy to get to by freeway and none more than 15 -20 minutes away. I'll be glad to give you a map.

PoolFool

Sid_Vicious
01-25-2004, 11:04 AM
Saturday and Sunday, premier! The Marsh Lane place mentioned used to have feee pool during the morining hours, can't remember when it cuts off, but they do have several nines. You're more than welcome to cruise to Skillman where I usually play, I'm normally holding down a table from 1PM-???, and a $3 flat rate is easy to live with. We also have a fun little chip tournament on Saturday starting at 1:30, ten bucks buy in and you get to play a whole range of talent. There ain't no shortage of places we could hook up at, Spiderman likes another Clicks down on Abrams. They are all resonably located to each other, FYI Dick Lane frequents the Abrams place. I'd be more than happy to lead you to a place or to guide you around, if you'd have any quams about driving in a strange town. Sound like fun, maybe we can pry OPC away from Arlington for a visit.

What is your game of choice? I don't play 1-pocket, but that would be an easy game to slide you into with others around here. I claim to play 9-ball a little myself...sid

SPetty
01-25-2004, 01:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I'd be more than happy to lead you to a place or to guide you around, if you'd have any quams about driving in a strange town. <hr /></blockquote>Well, hell, if Sid's driving, he knows the way to the best place within 35 miles of Dallas! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif (More like 60 from Frisco - I drive it every day!)

Be warned that Click's on Marsh gets very smoky if there's many people in there, if that's a concern.

Billy
01-25-2004, 09:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>
I usually frequent the no. Dallas places where I play league, much more financially agreeable to me, and I find more "players" and action there <hr /></blockquote>

just curious Sid, where is the majority of action in Dallas

what's the preferred game? or does that differ with each room?

thanks in advance

Sid_Vicious
01-25-2004, 10:09 PM
"Well, hell, if Sid's driving, he knows the way to the best place within 35 miles of Dallas! (More like 60 from Frisco - I drive it every day!)"

I'd be especially happy to cruise to the Petty Pool Hall...sid~~~didn't want to presume is all

OnePocketChamp
01-26-2004, 12:12 AM
As you implied, the game of choice does vary from room to room, but IMO here is breakdown:
CJ's, has 8 to 10 9' tables, 1 10' table and a pack of 8 footer. The action is mostly one pocket and 9 ball.

Click's on Skillman, has 5 9' tables and 12'ish 8 footers, again it's mostly one pocket or 9 ball.

Click's on Marsh Lane, 10 9' tables and 10'ish 8 footers, again one pocket or 9 ball.

Carson's, only 8' tables, usually only bangers or couples on dates---no action.

I only play on the 9' tables so can't really tell what is the games of choice on the 8'.

For my money, your best bet is Click's on Marsh Ln. I'am ready so post when the time and place is decided and PLEASE, PLEASE bring some Yankee dollars with you.

MarkUrsel
01-26-2004, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the guidebook on how to lose all my hard earned money. I really appreciate it!

I mostly play 9-ball, occasionally 8-ball and less occasionally straight pool. My wife plays pretty much the same mix. I've never played one-pocket (as I see OPC's eyes turn into dollar signs), but I am willing to learn!

Looks like Click's on Marsh Lane would be the best choice. It's easy to get to from where we're staying at our friend's place.

Sounds like we've got a party brewing here, or at least a good ring game, so I'll toss out a suggestion of Sunday afternoon at 3:00 at Click's on Marsh Lane.

eg8r
01-26-2004, 08:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never played one-pocket (as I see OPC's eyes turn into dollar signs), but I am willing to learn!
<hr /></blockquote> This cracks me up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Just in case you meet up with rackmup and OPC, don't let Ken shark you, or complain about OPC's abundance of help. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

One thing about OPC, he loves 9-ball, he cannot get enough 9-ball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif (joking)

When I moved to Fort Worth, I had only played maybe 2 games of one pocket. After leaving DFW and moving back to Orlando, I have played exactly 0 games of 1p.

eg8r &lt;~~~Still owes OPC a coke (yeah, we used to gamble a little /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) after a good beating in one of those all-day-saturday extravaganzas

Billy
01-26-2004, 08:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote OnePocketChamp:</font><hr> As you implied, the game of choice does vary from room to room, but IMO here is breakdown:
CJ's, has 8 to 10 9' tables, 1 10' table and a pack of 8 footer. The action is mostly one pocket and 9 ball.

Click's on Skillman, has 5 9' tables and 12'ish 8 footers, again it's mostly one pocket or 9 ball.

Click's on Marsh Lane, 10 9' tables and 10'ish 8 footers, again one pocket or 9 ball.

Carson's, only 8' tables, usually only bangers or couples on dates---no action.

I only play on the 9' tables so can't really tell what is the games of choice on the 8'.

For my money, your best bet is Click's on Marsh Ln. I'am ready so post when the time and place is decided and PLEASE, PLEASE bring some Yankee dollars with you. <hr /></blockquote>

hey, thanks for the indepth answer

exactly what I was asking for

many thanks /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Foxtrott
01-26-2004, 08:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote OnePocketChamp:</font><hr> . I never try to miss an opportunity to play a Yankee!!!!!!!! <hr /></blockquote>

Us Yankeesalso dont mind teaching you guys . /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
All in good fun