PDA

View Full Version : BCN wanted to say

Rod
01-24-2004, 07:56 PM
Thank everyone here who participated and spread the word about the Derby City broadcast. Rob admitted to problem areas and of course will be working on those issues before their next live broadcast. He also mentioned the US Open will be broadcast live. Personally I think we, that were fortunate enough to watch, got more than our moneys worth. Great job BCN and I'm sure it will only improve in future events.

Rod

JimS
01-24-2004, 08:23 PM
Amen..Hell of a treat to have "been there".

I feel like I owe an apology for having made my complaint so vehemently. I came on way to strong and this is a problem I have in responding to things while I am still emotionally wound up. I need to learn to keep my mouth shut until my emotions have quieted down.

I apologise BCn for having come on so dammed strong. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Popcorn
01-24-2004, 09:50 PM
It would be interesting to find out what their viewer ship finally was. I think the next time they do it, because it is hard to get the word out, we could actually account for spreading the word. I would not mind and I am sure many others would be glad to run off flyers on our computers to put up in our local bars and billiard rooms. This can be done pretty grass roots, but it could easily account for reaching thousands of potential subscribers. Make no mistake, this is completely selfish, because I want to see this be a success. I am sure this was a learning experience on their part and they will be raring to go the next time.

Foxtrott
01-24-2004, 09:52 PM
When you are saying live broadcast do you mean free live broadscast or the same thing they did before on sattilite and cable as a pay per view event ?

Ken
01-25-2004, 06:55 AM
It would appear that Rod is referring to a broadcast similar to the one just done at DCC. You are not likely to see that free since BCn has to get money from somewhere to put that on. They had access to Accustat equipment and that helped but there are still costs involved in an internet broadcast. I wonder if they had sufficient bandwidth since even cable users were getting connection problems.

BCn needs to make a profit. The way to keep these broadcasts relatively cheap is to increaase the number of viewers. They have a provision for advertising in a seperate window that does not impinge on the broadcast. There certainly is always going to be a lot of inaction in a live broadcast that lends itself to adding advertising. It would be nice it they did not have flashing, twirling stuff that just shouts "turn your eyes away, this is annoying!"

In other words, they are in business and can't afford to give it away. The DCC effort was in the line of an experiment. With a little more organization they could easily justify $9.95 per day but perhaps they could make it lower. It would help to know in advance what would be broadcast but that is difficult with the redraw feature of the DCC. They could plan for a certain number of featured matches plus extras they could get to the TV table.
KenCT