PDA

View Full Version : First Cue Anxiety

cleff
01-24-2004, 11:35 PM
Hi, I just got my first cue, a viking vm37. I've been practicing with it, but my game has gone down the drain playing with that cue. I'm used to sinking 3 balls per turn on average, and it's really frustrating to miss 80% of my shots. I suppose a lot of it is that I'm a bit embarrased having my own cue around other people, and also that i'm used to house cues, but i just get more and more frustrated using that cue, which seems to be hindering any chance i could have at getting used to the cue. The more frustrated i get, the more i lose focus, and the less well i can shoot. Any suggestions?

Popcorn
01-24-2004, 11:42 PM
How did you go about slecting that cue and the dimensions? Don't feel funny having your own cue, it is so common place nowadays no one think twice about it.

logixrat
01-25-2004, 12:28 AM
I just took a quick peek on the Viking website to see your cue. It's nice, but not overly elaborate to feel embarassed for cracking it out and whipp'n a few people. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

More than anything I think it is because the cue is new to you, and it needs a break in period. Anytime I play with a different cue, I have to adjust to it...even if it is a different house cue. Also, if your house cue weight is different from the Viking, it might be throwing you off as well.

Either way, just give it some time and I'm sure your game will come back. Sometimes, if I exhuast myself playing (easy to do when you get a new cue, set of balls, etc) then my game will go down the drain, and all I need is a simple break.

Good luck!!

JimS
01-25-2004, 07:20 AM
Yeah..I suppose your friends have to make smart-ass remarks..."Hey Joe! When are you turning pro!!"

I got a South West a few years back. Beautiful cue. Expensive cue. Way better than I needed then or need now. A players cue and I'm not a "player". And I felt kinda embarrased to haul it out thinking that when people saw that then they'd think I was GOOD and then I'd have to live up to what they thought and I KNEW I wasn't anywhere near being a good player...in fact I figured I was a pretty crummy player...barely average if that...and then I got nervous and wished I was invisible or wished I'd have gotten a cheap ugly plain cue and then..... well you KNOW what happended then.

One day I forgot to feel nervous about all that crap and played GOOD and that was that. All that stuff went out of my head and I found out that it was all just me thinking stupid stuff that diminished my ability. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bigshooter
01-25-2004, 09:59 AM
I don't know where your from but I grew up in a real small town and was one of the first to buy my own cue and got a lot of flak at first, You know stupid comments like
"a real player can shoot with a broom handle" stuff like that. but now everyone I know has their own cue so just relax - your probably the trendsetter among your friends and don't even know it yet, they'll come around.

If you haven't already seek out a quiet place to practice without being around others and put some hours in with your new cue, I'm confident you will soon be better than ever if you do, its just an adjustment period, its sort of like when you drive an old used car for a long time you really get used to it then one day you buy something much newer and nicer but for awhile you fumble around a little when first driving it because even though its much nicer it
just feels so different than what your used to but eventually you settle into it and get comfortable.

If pool is your sport don't feel strange about walking in with your cue, How many golfers do you know that head for the golf course without their clubs?
I can't imagine one thinking "I'll just use whatever club happens to be lying around the clubhouse"

I've been playing for a long time and I somedays I think I don't deserve a good cue either. LOL
The mind is a funny thing sometimes. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sid_Vicious
01-25-2004, 10:46 AM
"I got a South West a few years back. Beautiful cue. Expensive cue. Way better than I needed then or need now. A players cue and I'm not a "player". And I felt kinda embarrased to haul it out thinking that when people saw that then they'd think I was GOOD and then I'd have to live up to what they thought"

Jim...This is one mental thing I never got into, not meaning to be contray mind you, but I never considered that a cue out ranked me, if anything I feel "special" handling a high end cue, always have. It's resulted in an artificial vaulting to my skill level until the new wears off. I have had many friends avoid buying fine cues, even at a super bargain, for the same feelings you've indicated, and yet it's always been my personal opinion that I'm going to play up to the level of the cue.

I can go back in time and associate with the original poster's situation about the peer pressure surrounding the personal cue entry into a local scene. Give it time, it'll soon become normal to have your own cue when noone else owns one, and soon, others will be asking, "Where a good place to get one of those?" sid

Kato
01-25-2004, 07:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cleff:</font><hr>I suppose a lot of it is that I'm a bit embarrased having my own cue around other people, and also that i'm used to house cues, but i just get more and more frustrated using that cue, which seems to be hindering any chance i could have at getting used to the cue. The more frustrated i get, the more i lose focus, and the less well i can shoot. Any suggestions? <hr /></blockquote>

First, never be embarrassed to own a cue. Second, there will always be a period of adjustment. Third, you will come around and begin to see consistent results and return to at least or surpass your previous level.

There are many reasons for owning your own cue, pride is definitely one of them. Be proud that you cared enough about your game to make an investment in it. It is now your job to make a positive return on your investment. When your friends tease you about it, don't sweat it, they'll get over it. When your game comes back around don't be suprised if a few more friends make inquiries or ask to shoot with it. The second another friend buys one then everyone will buy one and the "arms race" will be on. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kato~~~owner of a mere 8 cues in 12 years /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ras314
01-25-2004, 08:15 PM
Wouldn't pay any attention to what others may think, could be they may be envious.

I played for years with house cues, mostly that I had bought and re-tipped, and still would if so many were not junk these days. As a result I still like the feel of a one piece cue and don't like the few new stainless joint cues I've tried. So now I'm using a rather expensive sneaky pete and am quite satisified with it.

Give the Viking some time, probably does play a little different but you should get used to it. Anything is better than grabbing a different cue with different tips every day.

JimS
01-26-2004, 07:09 AM
Kato..."arms race" /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif gotta love it...and that's about what it gets to be...a pecker contest! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif