PDA

View Full Version : No comment.

Qtec
01-25-2004, 06:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bush to Ask for $401.7 Billion Defense Budget

Friday, January 23, 2004

WASHINGTON President Bush (search) will ask Congress to approve $401.7 billion in defense spending for the budget year that begins in October, a 7 percent increase over this year, the Pentagon (search) announced Friday.

The money does not include the cost of fighting wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Currently, the Pentagon is spending about $1 billion a week in Iraq and about $1 billion a month in Afghanistan.

If, as expected, operations are still under way in those countries when the 2005 budget year begins Oct. 1, the administration presumably will have to ask Congress to appropriate extra billions of dollars.

In announcing the 2005 budget total, the Pentagon made no mention of the war costs.

"This budget builds upon past work to provide for a ready force made up of the talents and skills needed in our new national security environment," Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld (search) said in a written statement.

Rumsfeld said the budget reflects Bush's commitment to prosecuting a global war on terrorism.

The Pentagon provided no details of its proposed budget. Those are to be made public Feb. 2.

Rumsfeld said the 2005 budget priorities include investment in quality-of-life programs for troops, improved intelligence and spending to ensure the combat readiness of U.S. troops.

One year ago, when the Pentagon announced its proposed budget for the current year, it projected that spending for 2005 would be $399.8 billion.

<hr /></blockquote>

and then this.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45142-2004Jan24.html?nav=hptoc_m

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Keith Talent
01-25-2004, 08:38 AM
A billion here and a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking about real money.

Btw, so you made it to our shores, I hear. Gain any insight into our peculiar world view(s)?

And did you visit America, or just New York? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I did some time in the U.S., but find it more entertaining here in the Foreign Capital of No Known Country.

Qtec
01-25-2004, 12:10 PM
Dont know about insight Kieth but it was an experience!
I had a great time. Pity it was so cold. The first day I was there they were giving frostbite warnings on the weather channel!
American TV !3 out of 4 commercials are about health. ie diets/slimming aids/fitness.

The rest are about food! LOL

NY must be the fastfood capital of the world. If I was living there I would be fat. No doubt about it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I dont expect the rest of the country to be the same,unless every cab driver/shopkeeper comes from Bangladesh. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Impressions:

Elevators that make your ears pop they are so fast!.

Standing outside in the freezing cold to have a smoke. [ Take it from me. The NY smokers are ready to revolt! Nothing brings people together than having a grumble.]

I met more people outside the bar than inside! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You take your life in your hands if you attempt to cross the street without looking. Even if it does say Walk.

More people asked me for a smoke than a dollar!

I met some really nice people and am only sorry that it was so short.

Wait till you hear this;
I was standing in the Hotel waiting in line to check in, there was........
Another time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Q

Keith Talent
01-25-2004, 02:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>
Wait till you hear this;
I was standing in the Hotel waiting in line to check in, there was........

Q <hr /></blockquote>

Osama Bin Laden the bell hop?

Yeah, the food situation is frightening. At least one deadly sin has been overlooked. But there's nothing you can't get, 24/7. Except a $1,000-a-month apartment or inner peace.

eg8r
01-26-2004, 08:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The first day I was there they were giving frostbite warnings on the weather channel!
<hr /></blockquote> Did you get a chance to go see Gore's global warming speech?

eg8r

eg8r
01-26-2004, 08:33 AM
See, Bush is a center of the road politician. He is a great wartime President, conservative on all the important issues, and SPENDS LIKE A DEMOCRAT. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
This year he proposed only a 1% increase in spending. This is not 1% over last year, but rather 1% over the increase already in effect from last year. Why didn't the President say, in addition to all spending increases currently in effect? He could not find 1 single place to cut spending? C'mon.......

eg8r &lt;~~~Someone needs to take away W's checkbook

Qtec
01-26-2004, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Someone needs to take away W's checkbook <hr /></blockquote>

He could maybe spend the money on helping people. It would be a start in the right direction.

People like GW can always find more money for weapons, but when it comes to old soldiers ?????

Q

eg8r
01-26-2004, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He could maybe spend the money on helping people. It would be a start in the right direction.
<hr /></blockquote> Wrong. A start in the right direction would have been spending cuts. Not more spending like you are proposing.

eg8r

pooltchr
01-27-2004, 08:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
<hr /></blockquote> Wrong. A start in the right direction would have been spending cuts. Not more spending like you are proposing.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

Tap Tap Tap

Qtec
01-27-2004, 10:32 AM
Did I say 'more spending'?
Its a mater of priorities. You are quite happy for the Govt to spend on weapons but you are against any spending that might actually benefit people who could use a helping hand.

Ever see the film 'Dave'?

Q

eg8r
01-27-2004, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Did I say 'more spending'?
<hr /></blockquote> Yes. Here is what you said in response to my post requesting Bush find ways to cut spending... [ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote> The money you are referring to is the budget for the military (at least I am guessing since that is what this thread was about) and I was suggesting that we find ways to cut spending. You are finding ways for us to spend more. There are already plenty of ways in which gov't money is spent helping people, why would you suggest "more" be spent.

You even quoted me on taking away W's checkbook. The checkbook I was referring to would be the one that included new expenditures for this year, NOT the increases already on the books for this year. So, by you offering to move this money over to help people (kind of odd thinking money spent on military does not help people) you are suggesting more spending, and I was wanting to remove it.

eg8r

Qtec
01-27-2004, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
See, Bush is a center of the road politician. <font color="blue"> HaHaHa. Stop it Ed, your killing me.LOL </font color>
He is a great wartime President <font color="blue"> You should be on Broadway.LOL </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

He wants to spend 1.5 billion on saving marriges. Whats that all about?
He has funded 'The silver ring thing', whats that all about!?. An orginisation that promotes celibacy!

He is a lose cannon and the sooner he goes the better. Problem is tho, the Dems dont have one single candidate thats capable of beating him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Q [ looks like another 4 years of GW. Another 4 years of Osama Bin Laden being not or rarely mentioned by the Admin. $400 bilion, and they cant find one man? ]

eg8r
01-27-2004, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
looks like another 4 years of GW..... $400 bilion, and they cant find one man? <hr /></blockquote> I can totally understand your excitement about the next 4 years, and agree, there is not one democrat running right now that has a chance. However, that is why there are elections, just to make sure.

As far as 400 billion to catch one man, without going back and reading your first post, I think it says the money is not for the fight on terrorism which would include bin Laden. However, it is still an increase in spending on top of the increases for the year that are already on the books. Bush spends way too much money.

eg8r

cheesemouse
01-27-2004, 11:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
See, Bush is a center of the road politician. <font color="blue"> HaHaHa. Stop it Ed, your killing me.LOL </font color>
He is a great wartime President <font color="blue"> You should be on Broadway.LOL </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Q [ looks like another 4 years of GW. ]

<hr /></blockquote>

Q,

Not being an American I think you make the mistake of underestimating the innate intelligence of the voter here in the States. GW is diffinitely not a lock for re-election. He is on very thin ice. After all even hardcores, like eg8r, are starting to hold their noses while trying to verbally stutter their support for GW/crew.

This guy is starting to scare people with his seemingly intractable nature, and his unrepublican like moves. True republican are scrathing there heads trying to figure out just what the hell this guy really is. All the money in the world can't stop voting Americans from following their gut when they pull the lever...

I suggest all the folks in this administration freshen up their resumes transcripts.

The cheese thinks er8r is funny too....sooo young and soooo funny...... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Qtec
01-27-2004, 12:11 PM
He is a spender. The people who benefit from this spending have provided GW with a massive amout of money.

You have a President. Its about whether he stays or goes. To topple him, somebdy better has to stand up and I dont see that happening. The Dems are selfdestructing with all this in-fighting. They need to show a united front or fail.

Q

cheesemouse
01-27-2004, 12:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> He is a spender. The people who benefit from this spending have provided GW with a massive amout of money.

You have a President. Its about whether he stays or goes. To topple him, somebdy better has to stand up and I dont see that happening. The Dems are selfdestructing with all this in-fighting. They need to show a united front or fail.

Q <hr /></blockquote>

There are just a very few people paying attention to the uglyness of the selection process the demo's are going thru now. Only the hardcore fringe elements, the media talking heads and the canidate are concerned.

This countrys voters are basically split into three parts: people who always vote Democrat, always vote Republican, and than the important ones, that third that don't know what hell they are doing...LOL It is that fickle third that it all comes down too and they are the gut voters, who, in the final analysis make some cornball decision based on who knows what lodgic and they make that decision just minutes before entering the voting booth. It seems like a big crap shoot but in the end that innate intelligence I was talking about throws the unworthy bums out and rolls the dice on a new set of potential bums.....it's ugly but effective...... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r
01-27-2004, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it's ugly but effective <hr /></blockquote> Gore was hoping the third group you mentioned were the horny women watching MTV. I wonder how he ever got out of those pants that night. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
01-27-2004, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He is a spender. The people who benefit from this spending have provided GW with a massive amout of money.
<hr /></blockquote> He is a BIG spender (synonymous with Democrat), that is why I referred to him as middle of the road. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif As far as benifitting from the President because of contributions, who does not already know this. Don't you think Enron benefitted in China after they gave millions to Clinton?

[ QUOTE ]
To topple him, somebdy better has to stand up and I dont see that happening. The Dems are selfdestructing with all this in-fighting. They need to show a united front or fail.
<hr /></blockquote> The Dems have been quite funny. As far as showing a united front, what do you expect they are all fighting for the same spot. Just take a look at Kerry, he voted OK for the war, however when he decided to run, he noticed that did not look good among the far-Angry-Left, so he then voted to remove funding to the troops. The rest have followed suit. It is the far-left that is driving the Dems, and if one of the Dems falls out of favor, they will lose support.

eg8r

cheesemouse
01-27-2004, 01:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
it's ugly but effective <hr /></blockquote> Gore was hoping the third group you mentioned were the horny women watching MTV. I wonder how he ever got out of those pants that night. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

Yah, Gore trying to be COOL...he is about as smooth as a wooden indian riding a horse.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif