PDA

View Full Version : What is better Gandy or Brunswick.

kyhogan
01-25-2004, 10:10 AM
Ok you knuckle heads now have me searching for finer tables.

I've found a Gandy 2 years old close by he doesn't know what model says it was custom made (thinks it walnut) 8' 1' slate $1500.

Is Gandy better than Brunswick or are they about the same.

Uhm reading some posts sounds like Gandy is not all that good. Maybe I answered my own question.

JimS
01-25-2004, 11:23 AM
Gandy, Brunswick, Kasson, Olhausen and perhaps several others are major brand names and although each has it's special qualities they are all good tables.

I'd want to know how old the cushions are. If the cushions are relatively new I'd measure the pocket openings as I'v known some Gandy's to have huge pocket openings.

See if you can find a table mechanic or someone that has table experience to help you check out the used tables you find.

Go slow. Talk'm down. Leave for a week or two, go back dicker some more. Pool tables don't usually go fast unless it's an uncommonly good buy.

Check out tables on eBay to see what people are asking. Go to google.com and do a search.

JPB
01-25-2004, 11:38 AM
Gandys are typically much worse. I've never played on a gandy home model, just their commercial tables. Even played on a 10' gandy billiard table. That one played like crap, but good players could take advantage of it once they knew the funky returns. I think they are cheap and don't like them at all. I knew a room owner who was a brunswick gfan who really mocked them. They are probably not as bad as he always said, but I don't like them.

It might be OK for home use. But I have never liked one. 1500 is so cheap it is hard to go really wrong. But I would pass.