with
Contender by Brunswick tables are veneers over hardwood and plywood
(Amherst) and high pressure laminates and vinyl over particleboard or
plywood. The Amherst, Geneva and Tahoe have Tru-Speed cushion rubber,
and
the Bristol has Centennial. All Brunswick hardwood tables have
Superspeed
cushions.

To be clear, Brunswick is a global marketing and sourcing company.
Brunswick proudly searches the globe for table components and sourcing
partners that meet our standards. The source may be in South America,
Europe, Asia, or maybe Indiana or North Carolina. Regardless of
location,
two standards will always be met:

Specifically:
Quality: components and manufacturing processes that meet quality
standards first established by John Moses Brunswick in 1845.

Value: components that allow us to price Brunswick tables
competitively based on meeting our quality standards at a
reasonable
cost to the consumer.

And when we find partners that meet our standards, we place Brunswick
Engineers at these locations to ensure the standards are met every day,
on
every billiard table

Cueless Joey
01-25-2004, 12:01 PM
Pretty sad, Brunws outsources now.

ras314
01-25-2004, 12:53 PM
Slate from Brazil? Some tables made in other countries?

kyhogan
01-25-2004, 01:43 PM
here is the thing that gets me. I was at the dealer and he could not explain to me the difference in the line. And further the big selling point was the bumpers and now we see they don't even use the use the same bumpers in all their lines.

ras314
01-25-2004, 01:52 PM
Don't know what your budget is but right now you can get a Diamond Pro 9 ft in oak for $3500. Plus shipping and setup.

And you can talk to them directly without having to deal with an igorant dealer, a big plus in my book. Pocket size can be changed if you don't want the tight "pro cut".

logixrat
01-25-2004, 01:53 PM
I think you are now starting to see why several people on this board tend to stay away from the lower to mid range Brunswick tables. I know when I first started looking around for a table, I thought Brunswick was the best in the business. Afterall, I had heard of them forever. Turns out, they do still make some good tables, you just have to look closely at every detail to make sure you are getting the "right" table from them, and don't count on the dealers for that info...most of them are stupid, and biased even if they do know what you are talking about.

kyhogan
01-25-2004, 02:10 PM
I have now spent another day searching and learning. And again I come full circle.

woody_968
01-25-2004, 06:20 PM
Very interesting. I have always been a fan of the Gold Crowns, but other than that wasnt really impressed with some of there other tables. Guess this could be why.

Even before reading this, I would also say if its with in the budget to take a good hard look at Diamond. I think they are really hard to beat.

kyhogan
01-25-2004, 06:37 PM
Have not seen any use diamonds. Man so now I ask the question is there any benefit to find a mid range brunswick used. Maybe I should just find the cheapest well built table with slate.

JimS
01-25-2004, 07:09 PM
Older tables were often/generally built better that current tables. Current/new tables are made by compainies that are often conscious of only the bottom line and are willing to cut corners wherever possible to improve that bottom line.

Diamond is the exception and there may be others that,like Diamond put quality first.

Older tables, used tables are often made better than most new tables. I think it's generally accepted that they are. That's why people are recommending you find a used table.

It will take time man!. Calm down, chill, take your time. Research!

Harold Acosta
01-25-2004, 08:48 PM
Look for used Gold Crown II and III Tables. You should find some around....

Cueless Joey
01-26-2004, 01:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Harold Acosta:</font><hr> Look for used Gold Crown II and III Tables. You should find some around.... <hr /></blockquote>
No kidding. I know someone who just lucked out on GC II for THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS. Some fool had it his garage and didn't know what he had.
I found a Centennial for a friend one time. He paid $750 for it. I found a Sport King too at one senior living apartment building. $350.

kyhogan
01-26-2004, 06:42 AM
Yah those things happen but 1 you have to know what your looking for and two to have time to go around looking. That might be a nice hobby in and of itself.

But that doesn't happen every day and could take a year to come across a deal like that.

Pizza Bob
01-26-2004, 10:50 AM
Brunswick has been outsourcing since the late '60's. Although it was cues then - first a domestic source, then Japan, then Taiwan. It is my understanding that GC III's are imports. At the very least they were outsourced. I believe I've heard that some of the B'wick tables were made by piano/organ manufacturers. Outsourcing isn't necessarily a bad thing, and this post is only meant to be informative, not a knock. I have and use many of their products, with no complaints.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Cueless Joey
01-26-2004, 11:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote kyhogan:</font><hr> Yah those things happen but 1 you have to know what your looking for and two to have time to go around looking. That might be a nice hobby in and of itself.

But that doesn't happen every day and could take a year to come across a deal like that. <hr /></blockquote>
Buying and reselling pool tables can be a profittable hobby. A friend of mine does it but he's getting burned out by it. Way too much work and not to good for your back.

logixrat
01-26-2004, 12:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote kyhogan:</font><hr> Yah those things happen but 1 you have to know what your looking for and two to have time to go around looking. That might be a nice hobby in and of itself.

But that doesn't happen every day and could take a year to come across a deal like that. <hr /></blockquote>

I agree...you can find those sort of deals, but you have to wait to leap at the precise moment, and as you stated that may take 1 year or longer, or you might get lucky and 1 week. Who knows what the used market will hold.

Personally I thought the price on the Kasson table you found was very good, even if you spent the extra $200 to have someone else do the setup. If you are in somewhat of a rush to get a table, take 2-3 weeks looking through classifieds, etc. for a good used table. If you can't find one, get that Kasson and quit beating yourself up.