PDA

View Full Version : Another First Cue question...tools, shapers etc.

peet234
01-25-2004, 12:06 PM
Ok, I have a cue (almost) on the way and I was wondering what tool one is supposed to use on the tip to shape it the first time? I think it will be completely flat, right?

I'm confused by shapers, scuffers, and all the rest. I am kinda new and want to maintain a consistent rounded tip and don't want to mishape it the first time.

JimS
01-25-2004, 12:09 PM
I think it will come with a nice rounded tip. Don't be tapping or shaping it too often and when you do ask an experienced player to show you how.

I like to Tip Pik, used SPAREINGLY, to help the tip hold chalk.

BLACKHEART
01-25-2004, 04:28 PM
DON"T use any shapers that have a BLADE in them. The blade will dull in a very short time & begin to shread the tip...JER

woody_968
01-25-2004, 06:02 PM
I have tried several shapers, and I still prefer the old tweeten sand paper thingy (sorry, dont know what they should be called). They are about 8 inches long, sort of a half moon shape, with sandpaper on the inside you can change. Gives me a perfect shape every time.

For general scuffing I too like the tip pick. But as mentioned earlier this is not something you have to do constantly.

ras314
01-25-2004, 08:32 PM
I just use the file on my leatherman tool to shape a tip. Can take a while with a new square faced tip. Used a tip pick untill I got a Talisman WB tip, it just doesn't seem to need any scuffing.