PDA

View Full Version : Proper way to store or ship ivory cues Help please

Foxtrott
01-26-2004, 12:00 AM
As I have gotten a few cues and only want wooden cues.The ivory cues I will be tradeing off . Until then as a non ivory cue lover what would be a proper temperture to store them and also when I go to ship them is there a way to protect against temperture so the Ivory does not crack ? Will it crack so easy ?There is more than average ivory and this is a concern as it is very cold here and also we keep the house warm but I can take a thrmometer around the home to find the proper temperture till I get rid of them .Do I need to worry ?Please any help would be appriciated as I am not familiar with proper ivory care. Thanks

Foxtrott
01-26-2004, 12:01 AM
I have its george and filinni cases I have them in and they are air tite if this helps.
Thanks Fox

Rich R.
01-26-2004, 06:32 AM
From this and other posts, I get the impression that you think ivory is a lot more delicate than it really is. I could be wrong about this assumption. If so I'm sorry.

I have a couple of cues with ivory inlays and ivory ferules. I play with them regularly and I have never had a problem.

You should store your ivory cues in the same conditions, you would store any other fine cue. Store them in a cool dry place.
There has been some discussion on the CCB before, concerning whether they should be in a case or not and whether they should be stored horizontally or vertically. I prefer in a good case and vertical, but that is JMHO.

Foxtrott
01-26-2004, 10:24 PM
Thanks Rich . I guess my worry is unfounded as I am just not used to ivory cues. Although my base cues are very high end I stay to the all wood cues .I am not really saying I think ivory are so delicate . I just know if I acidently bump a table on a inlay Im am in major trouble for a repair .Thats why I stay with the wood . I dont worry about my cue at all in a game and dont have to ever worry of ivory crackage ever. I know if I get a bad ding or bump in wood cues that any of the good cue refinishers can make my cues new.I know I have had a few friends that have had problems with expansion and contraction or whatnot that led to cracks .Ill just keep them in a cool dry place then . Any advise on shipping them in the cold weather ? Thanks Fox

Rich R.
01-27-2004, 07:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Foxtrott:</font><hr> Any advise on shipping them in the cold weather ? Thanks Fox <hr /></blockquote>
Sorry Fox, I've never shipped a cue and I have only received non-ivory cues via any type of shipping. I can't help you there. My cues, with ivory, were purchased locally and I picked them up in person. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif