PDA

View Full Version : IP numbers. What does everyone think?

bluewolf
01-26-2004, 08:07 AM
[/b]I do not like my ip numbers on my posts. How do the rest of you feel about this? I know I put this in suggestions, but not everyone reads that. I would like to know if the rest of you are okay with this practice or if you want your ip numbers to be private.

We downloaded a program, put in a couple of ip numbers and it told us where the person was from and what server and location they were going through. My son says you can use it to get other private info on a person too.

ps i already complained to the administer

Laura[/b]

Perk
01-26-2004, 08:22 AM
I think it helps keep the "multiple" posters away. I wouldnt worry about it unless you intend on pissing off the wrong person. J/K. Actually, the people that are going to harm you, your computer, or steal your identity can gain your i.p. number without it being broadcast. So I dont think its that big a deal for it to be shown here. IMO

Foxtrott
01-26-2004, 09:08 AM
You can get a program that just gives out a different IP address . Not saying I would do it but you can . You just take and IP addy from someone else and put it in .Your netmask system will then project that IP address . You must use an active IP address . You can get into alot of trouble for this unless you have permission to use that persons IP address .Best thing to do is find someone you know that has an account they barely uses a certain IP address as a business or so .You can also purchase something from macafee that will give the IP addy of 205 or 250 as the first but alot of systems will recognise this as being false and will not let you log into their system .Definaly get a netmask system if you are concerned.Also most the information on accounts that is retiveable is information that people gave on thier personal info page . They did not have to give this information. Macfee firewall upgrades do the trick and they are 250s acroos the board

Foxtrott
01-26-2004, 09:20 AM
Here is a good system to do it for you . Actually you can go anywhere into any system and they do not even know you are there . I would choose the options of masking your IP first though
http://products.datamation.com/security/privacy/1063935128.html

Foxtrott
01-26-2004, 09:23 AM
They are the true thing also do not get kicked into a false program as there are many

RedHell
01-26-2004, 09:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Foxtrott:</font><hr> You can get a program that just gives out a different IP address . Not saying I would do it but you can . You just take and IP addy from someone else and put it in .Your netmask system will then project that IP address . You must use an active IP address . You can get into alot of trouble for this unless you have permission to use that persons IP address .Best thing to do is find someone you know that has an account they barely uses a certain IP address as a business or so .You can also purchase something from macafee that will give the IP addy of 205 or 250 as the first but alot of systems will recognise this as being false and will not let you log into their system .Definaly get a netmask system if you are concerned.Also most the information on accounts that is retiveable is information that people gave on thier personal info page . They did not have to give this information. Macfee firewall upgrades do the trick and they are 250s acroos the board <hr /></blockquote>

Sorry Fox, but I totally disagree with what you're saying here. The IP address that appears on these post could be taken only from one place, the active connection when you made the post.

This forum uses HTTP, this is TCP protocol port 80. Unlike UDP, ICMP and others, TCP protocols requires connection mode. This mean for everypacket you send theres is acknoledgement packet that must come back. So if you spoof you IP number (this is what you suggested), you will never be able to complete the transaction and won't be able to post.

As for netmaks, you are off base. Your netmak is used to determine if the IP destination you are trying to reach is within or out of you subnet.

Sorry that I'm contradicting you, but that was too much false information to stay quiet.

Foxtrott
01-26-2004, 09:27 AM
So what your saying is the IP address I am projecting is mine ?

RedHell
01-26-2004, 09:27 AM
This is not changing your IP address at all. This is using Web proxies. Which meams you are not connecting to the board anymore but you are connecting to another server asking them to retreive information for you.

This will mask you IP on board as the IP that appears is the IP of the proxy server. I would beware of spyware tho. These system are often use to collect personnal information and grap e-mail address. This could bring in a lot of SPAM.

Not saying the one you suggested does but it could. I would carefully read reviews before using one of those.

RedHell
01-26-2004, 09:31 AM
I didn't say that the IP you were projecting is yours, I said you couldn't change you IP. What you suggested tho were anonymous proxy browser, wich doesn't change your IP as it is impossible. They relay the connection for you so it's their IP that is displayed.

Foxtrott
01-26-2004, 09:32 AM
I think you better click that link and learn. I am not a geek but I am telling the truth.Yes the ip addy i use is the same all the time and set that way but it is not true.
look at the # and try to run it .post the result for everone to see.click that link and learn

Foxtrott
01-26-2004, 09:35 AM
I guess you could be correct as I am not that literate but I have this program and never seenmy IP come up . I will check other boards to see what come up there .I know if I link to you it is 250.250.250.250.250

Foxtrott
01-26-2004, 09:38 AM
Yes that is correct their IP shows up but you must pay for that /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Foxtrott
01-26-2004, 09:40 AM
Hey if your worried about your IP you should have had antispyware a long time ago

RedHell
01-26-2004, 09:47 AM
I checked the link and then realise that you were not suggesting of changing IP but you were suggesting of using Web Proxies....

I didn't learn anything tho, as this is what I do for a leaving and get well paid for it.

Your suggestion was very good tho for Laura's concern, just badly explained. In any case, for what it's worth, I wouldn't be concerned about my IP being displayed. Because most of you use non dedicated service, the IP will change on a regular basis, resetting a DSL connection or turning off and on your cable modem should do it.

Tom_In_Cincy
01-26-2004, 06:05 PM
IP Addresses are necessary to surf the net... displaying them in this forum isn't necessary, but at the same time.. I would guess it's just an oversite of the webmaster during the last outage.

I would guess that they will be removed as soon as the webmaster get's around to it..

Tom_In_Cincy
01-26-2004, 06:07 PM
OH.. by the way... the IP Address for my posts from work, are assigned to the proxy I use.

My PC's IP Address is quite different. This is how businesses try to keep the 'nasties' happening to all their hardware.

Chris Cass
01-26-2004, 06:07 PM
Hi BW,

Me personally could care less. Anyway, have a nice day.

Regards,

C.C.

Nightstalker
01-26-2004, 06:45 PM
Look at it this way, at least it is not displaying home addresses or latitude and longitudinal coordinates to your location!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ken
01-27-2004, 06:58 AM
My IP traces to Atlanta about 900 miles from me. I don't see that as much of a problem. If anyone knows some software that can bo better than that please pass that info on to me. I won't be paying for it though so it needs to be free.

The useful thing about this is that one poster that I suspected was a former poster uses the same IP. It looks like he logged in under the wrong ID by mistake. That post has since disappeared.

At least we could keep track of the 30 faces of Larry now.
KenCT

bluewolf
01-27-2004, 07:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Foxtrott:</font><hr> Here is a good system to do it for you . Actually you can go anywhere into any system and they do not even know you are there . I would choose the options of masking your IP first though
http://products.datamation.com/security/privacy/1063935128.html <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for the info. This seems like a good program but it is good for pcs only, not macs. i did find in the mac browser a setting for using a web proxy.

Laura

TomBrooklyn
01-27-2004, 01:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> [/b]We downloaded a program, put in a couple of ip numbers and it told us where the person was from and what server and location they were going through. <hr /></blockquote>Unless I'm mistaken, the location you get back is a general location where there might be thousands or maybe hundreds of thousands of users.

Troy
01-27-2004, 02:14 PM
Personally, I could not care less.
If your son thinks he can get personal info about me just 'cuz my IP address is available can go right ahead and try. Post whatever is found that is NOT available from Public Records, the result might be interesting... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy

SPetty
01-27-2004, 04:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> Post whatever is found... <hr /></blockquote>This is all I know - ain't much.
Search results for: 165.247.216.201

OrgName: EarthLink, Inc.
OrgID: ERMS
Address: 1375 PEACHTREE ST, LEVEL A
City: ATLANTA
StateProv: GA
PostalCode: 30309

NetRange: 165.247.0.0 - 165.247.255.255
CIDR: 165.247.0.0/16
NetName: EARTHLINK2000-B
NetHandle: NET-165-247-0-0-1
Parent: NET-165-0-0-0-0
NetType: Direct Allocation
NameServer: ITCHY.MINDSPRING.NET
NameServer: SCRATCHY.MINDSPRING.NET
Comment:
RegDate: 2000-04-20
Updated: 2000-04-20

TechHandle: DAE4-ARIN
TechName: Domain Administrator, Administrator
TechPhone: +1-404-815-0770
TechEmail: arinpoc@corp.earthlink.net

OrgAbuseHandle: ABUSE60-ARIN
OrgAbuseName: ABUSE TEAM
OrgAbusePhone: +1-404-815-0770
OrgAbuseEmail: abuse@abuse.earthlink.net

OrgTechHandle: ELNK-ORG-ARIN
OrgTechName: EarthLink, Inc.
OrgTechPhone: +1-404-815-0770
OrgTechEmail: arin_tech@lists.corp.earthlink.net

Troy
01-27-2004, 05:18 PM
All stuff about Earthlink, nothing about me... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Keep searching for personal info about me that is NOT from Public Records.
By the way, my actual ISP is Mindspring, a subsidiary of Earthlink.

Troy

SPetty
01-27-2004, 09:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> All stuff about Earthlink, nothing about me... <hr /></blockquote>That's my point...

Chris Cass
01-28-2004, 12:05 AM
I don't know about that Troy. It did list you as a Level"A". What I wonder is, how did they get your playing status? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Troy
01-28-2004, 09:33 AM
SSSHHHHH..... And you said you weren't gonna tell.....

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> I don't know about that Troy. It did list you as a Level"A". What I wonder is, how did they get your playing status? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Troy
01-28-2004, 09:39 AM
C'mon on B'wolf. Post up your dramatic results. Post all that "personal information" that can be found using an ISP address. Let's put this rumor to rest once and for all.

Troy...~~~ Already knows his snail mail address &amp; phone number is available...
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> My son says you can use it to get other private info on a person too.

Laura<hr /></blockquote>

Troy
01-29-2004, 12:30 PM
Just as I thought... All sizzle, no steak...

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> C'mon on B'wolf. Post up your dramatic results. Post all that "personal information" that can be found using an ISP address. Let's put this rumor to rest once and for all.

Troy...~~~ Already knows his snail mail address &amp; phone number is available...
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> My son says you can use it to get other private info on a person too.

Laura<hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

SPetty
01-29-2004, 12:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> ... All sizzle, no steak...<hr /></blockquote>It's your own fault, Troy. You keep changing your IP number! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Troy
01-29-2004, 04:24 PM
Well damn... You mean I get a new IP number every time I sign on to my ISP ??? How unique... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> ... All sizzle, no steak...<hr /></blockquote>It's your own fault, Troy. You keep changing your IP number! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Predator314
04-30-2004, 07:43 AM
Most people don't have static ip addresses. So your ip will change frequently anyway. You can't really get any "personal" information using an IP address unless someone actually hacks into your computer and pulls the information from there. For this reason, it's smart to have a firewall and secure your computer. There's always going to be someone that knows there way around all the firewalls, etc and can gain access to your computer, but you have to ask yourself, "Why do they want my stuff?". A firewall is like a lock. It just keeps and honest person honest.

1.) Have a firewall
2.) Check the internet frequently for Updates to your OS
3.) Keep personal info that you don't want other people to potentially have access to off your internet computer.

bluewolf
04-30-2004, 08:07 AM
it might not be a problem for some, it is for others. my cable said they change ips every five days but this does not happen.

there are others for whom this is a major problem where for most of us, perhaps it is not.

Laura