PDA

View Full Version : How to sell a Collector Quality Cue

buckshot
01-26-2004, 09:27 AM
I am looking to sell a collector quality cue that I commissioned last summer from Black Boar Industries. I have very limited experience in a matter of this nature and would appreciate any advice addressing how to maintain equity for all concerned in a transaction of this nature. The cue was completed last summer, and I have more than $18000 invested so this is for serious interest? Any advise would be sincerely appreciated Thanks.
Thanks

SPetty
01-26-2004, 01:03 PM
Hello buckshot,

I can't help with your question, but I was wondering - do you have any pictures of this cue posted on the internet somewhere so we could see it?

Wally_in_Cincy
01-26-2004, 01:19 PM
This guy might buy it. Just a guess.

http://www.billiardcue.com/

Cueless Joey
01-26-2004, 01:27 PM
Try Ebay or Cueauctions.com.

Pizza Bob
01-26-2004, 03:11 PM
Wally has the right idea, with Dick Abbott. However, it's unlikely that Dick would buy that expensive a cue, unless the maker is a "Legend", however, I believe you could consign it with Dick.

Not sure Ebay or the like is the correct venue for a cue in this price range. Better off with a specialty site that has the eye of high-end collectors. Just my $.02 worth.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Jimmy B
01-26-2004, 05:10 PM
The group of people who spend 18K on a cue is small and most the people on that small list know each other. If you don't know people on this list I think you need to get the help of someone who does. DIck A or Mark K may be able to help, but it doesn't sound like you have much room to work, so good luck and post some pics on PPP. JB

That's Poolplayersparadise.com for those who don't already know.

buckshot
01-26-2004, 06:06 PM
To SPetty,
Will post the photos (7) at the AZBilliards Photo Gallery tonight or tomorrow. The title will be " My Black Boar Cue". I would appreciate your opinion as I assume you have some experience in cues of this value. Thanks for your note, all of this helps.

buckshot
01-26-2004, 06:24 PM
To Wally, Joey, Bob and Jimmy;
Thanks a lot, I will follow up - thanks for your info. If anyone is interested, I am posting pictures of this cue at the AZ Billiards Cue Gallery, subject: "My Black Boar Cue". Again, thanks.

buckshot
01-26-2004, 06:37 PM
Pizza Bob,
Let me ask you then, does the NJ pool community not know of Tony and "Black Boar Cues"? Your comments about "legend cue maker" got my attention. I mean no disrespect and appreciate your help but it has merit to me, if Tony and Black Boar are not highly regarded in NJ. Your area has a wealth of talent in our game and it would surprise me to know that Black Boar Cues are not regarded as one of the most coveted cues in both play and value.
Again, thanks

tateuts
01-26-2004, 06:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote buckshot:</font><hr> Pizza Bob,
Let me ask you then, does the NJ pool community not know of Tony and "Black Boar Cues"? Your comments about "legend cue maker" got my attention. <hr /></blockquote>

He meant "dead".

Chris

woody_968
01-26-2004, 08:16 PM
Funny how sometimes one must die before their products reach peak value. Just another quirk of life I guess.

buckshot
01-26-2004, 08:40 PM
Yes it is Woody, but Tony is the exception. I realize some areas in the USA are not that familiar with his work, he is a true artisan, without compromise. I do know that several independent and successful brokers, (germany &amp; Japan), can not keep his work in inventory.

Scott Lee
01-26-2004, 09:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote buckshot:</font><hr> I do know that several independent and successful brokers, (germany &amp; Japan), can not keep his work in inventory. <hr /></blockquote>

Then THOSE are the people you should contact regarding this cue. No disrespect to you or Tony, but someone who spends $18K to have a cue made, and wants to get their "full value" out of it, is very likely going to lose money. I know several cue collectors (including ones that have purchased cues for that kind of money and more), and few, if any, likely will be willing to foot the bill for your lavish ideas on a custom cue (unless their 'special interests' are the same as yours). Black Boar Cues are NOT Balabushkas, Szambotis or Ginacues. They are certainly high end custom cues, but imo, Tony is no more (nor less) of an artisan than many other fine cuemakers...including Cognoscenti, Samsara, Paul Drexler, and many others that can be mentioned. That said, I wish you the best luck in getting your money out of the cue.

Scott Lee

Rip
01-26-2004, 09:35 PM
What size engine and is it a 2 door or 4 door? Huh? He said "cue"...not "car"?
Never mind!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Rip

buckshot
01-26-2004, 11:10 PM
Gee I feel like I just got chastized.........at age 60, its ok; I appreciate the time and the various views.
All of which help in setting my expectations.

If its of interested, I've posted 3 pictures of the cue on AZBilliards Cue Gallery under my name buckshot.

Thank you

tateuts
01-27-2004, 12:06 AM
Well, I looked at the pics and it is truly a wonderful piece of cue art. The detail is nothing short of amazing. The design is quite beautiful.

I don't know if you know Victor Stein in New York. I am sure you know he co-authored the Billiards Encyclopedia. Maybe he can steer you in the right direction or sell the cue for you as your representative. I think he's out of the collection arena himself, but he knows all the big collectors and I found him to be a helpful, reliable, and trustworthy individual.

He sells on E-Bay and can be contacted through his screen name there: vsatbilliardencyclopedia

Good luck to you.

Chris

Cueless Joey
01-27-2004, 12:40 AM
Buck, that is one beautiful cue.
It would hurt me if I had to let it go.
It will never be duplicated, right?

buckshot
01-27-2004, 08:33 AM
Thank you very much Addict, thatís what I was hoping to find with my original question. I will follow your recommendation and if youíre interested - let you know what happens. Again, thank you very much.

To Joey - Thank you for your feedback on the cue and no, it will never be duplicated. The cue is completely Tonyís design and work. For me, I had the honor of funding its creation. I am privileged to know Tony, having purchased my playing cue
(One of Black Boar family pictured in the Blue Book [The red coco-bola) in 1999 and subsequently got to know him. Tony is unique in today's world of instant gratification and honestly I find him a principal asset to our game and the future of billiards.

BLACKHEART
01-27-2004, 10:05 AM
HI BUCKSHOT. I'm curious,did you have this Q made, with the intention of selling it? Do you think, in your own minds eye, that it is worth more than what you paid for it?...JER

Pizza Bob
01-27-2004, 10:05 AM
Dick:

Yes I know Tony and Black Boar. One of my principal playing partners plays with a Black Boar. But, Scott probably put it best, so no need to elaborate further. I wish you luck in your endeavor. One last note, Bill Stroud is planning another cue extravaganza in Oct '04 in Utah. Might be a good venue, but not sure how you could participate as a seller. Maybe a note to Bill is in order.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

buckshot
01-27-2004, 05:41 PM
BlackHeart: I had the Q made with the intention of keeping it in a mounted case in my home (someday) but that has not worked out. As to its worth, I think the Q is worth more than my investment, significantly more but then again time will tell if my view is accurate. History tells me its a matter of perception of the market, time will tell.
Have you had a chance to view the Q on AZBilliards Photo Gallery?

Pizza Bob - Thank you, your feedback was very helpful. I'll pursue contact with Bill in the near future. Again thanks.

woody_968
01-27-2004, 06:32 PM
I just went over and looked at the pics. My tastes are normally to the more simple classic looking designs. But I gotta tell you thats one of the nicest looking cues I have ever seen. I normally hate that much inlay work in a cue, but that is awsome!

BLACKHEART
01-27-2004, 11:58 PM
YUP, I did view your pics &amp; the Q is really beautifully made. I hope that you can sell it &amp; get back your investment. I think I've told this story before,but at one time, I have a nice Q collection of about 40 Qs. I liked them all,but seldom played with any of them. One day I pulled one out that I had paid $1000 for when it was new. It had never been played with, in the 9 years that I had owned it. IT WAS WARPED. I sold my $1000 investment to the highest bidder for $550. It was then that I decided to sell them all. I made a VERY good profit,but I couldn't enjoy them &amp; I was afraid to keep them...JER

Eddie_Felson
01-28-2004, 08:01 AM
Go to http://www.wuscues.com and contact him.

He's one of the collectors I would think about to buy such a piece.

Say him greetings from Chris from Germany, we wrote a few days ago about Yin and Yang ...

PQQLK9
01-28-2004, 09:03 AM
Can you post the link to your cue, I can not find it in the photo gallery. ,
thanks,

Wally_in_Cincy
01-28-2004, 09:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> Can you post the link to your cue, I can not find it in the photo gallery. ,
thanks, <hr /></blockquote>

Black Boar (http://www.azbilliards.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=2880)

PQQLK9
01-28-2004, 09:16 AM
Thanks Wally (why am I now thinking of Pimps with big hats and fur coats /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

Chris Cass
01-28-2004, 10:06 AM
Thanks Eddie,

That South West 001 looks so much like my cue I could spit.

C.C.~~I think mine looks better.

Rich R.
01-28-2004, 10:42 AM
You can also contact this guy.
http://www.ilovecues.com/

He will most likely be at Valley Forge, if you want to meet with him. Although I don't know for sure, chances are very good that he will also be in the Baltimore area, either before or after Valley Forge.

Barbara
01-28-2004, 12:24 PM
The Drs Wu will also be at Valley Forge, probably at Lucky's booth also.

Barbara

Barbara
01-28-2004, 12:26 PM
Boy I love that website's main page!!!

Barbara`

Qtec
01-28-2004, 12:39 PM
I,ve never heard so much BS in all my life.

Are you asking me to accept the fact that you have invested $18,ooo in a cue and you dont know how to sell it?

How do you know that the cue you have is WORTH $18,ooo or more ?

I really dont know why I am responding to this post because you are full of s#$t.

Q [cant stand the BS any more.]

buckshot
01-28-2004, 01:02 PM
WOW, what can I say!!......Yet again my values in the peope involved in pool and are so much a part of this great game are validated, so.......thank you very much.

To Woody_968, BLACKHEART, Eddie Felson, PQQLK9, Wally_in_Cincy (Great Town Wally, did some work at Kings Island - we wont go there, but i had fun...wink), to Chris Cass, Rich R. (read your review of the Workbook, thank you, a quality write-up) and to Barbara; thanks so very much to all of you. Regardless of my resluts, I feel I have benefited greatly by your insights and advise. I have a way forward now.

About Lucky, I know of Lucky an his success in his home land. I will contact him and Dr Wu, assuming Tony (BB) is ok with that.

Thank you all so much..........

buckshot
01-28-2004, 01:08 PM
with one exception - that is ..........

Wally_in_Cincy
01-28-2004, 01:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote buckshot:</font><hr> with one exception - that is .......... <hr /></blockquote>

Pay no attention to Qtec. He hates all things American, except Bill and Hillary /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Qtec
01-28-2004, 01:42 PM
Wally, you old to$$er. LOL

Q [ sometimes you have to say what you think].

buckshot
01-28-2004, 01:45 PM
Thanks Wally.

Rod
01-28-2004, 01:49 PM
I think Q actually snuck in line to get GW's autograph. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Barbara
01-28-2004, 01:50 PM
That's incredibly rude, even for you.

Just because you own a cue worth thousands of dollars doesn't mean you know other people who can afford to buy the cue or broker it for you. Brokering a cue is a delicate situation where you need to trust the broker to represent your interests. The broker would know who may be interested in the cue and who would have the money to buy it. This ain't eBay, bud.

How many cue collectors out there do you know who profess to be as such? There are lots of private collectors who wish to remain just that - private.

Barbara

Wally_in_Cincy
01-28-2004, 02:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Wally, you old to$$er. LOL
<hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

wanker

hey Q here's a present just for you:

http://www.allhatnocattle.net/Bush%20nuts%201.jpg

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Qtec
01-28-2004, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's incredibly rude, even for you.
<hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Barbara, are you insinuating something. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

Barbara
01-28-2004, 09:46 PM
Barbara, are you insinuating something.

Absolutely YES!

Let's say that you had THE FORTUNE of buying a cue when you were young from a young cuemaker by the name of Frank Paradise or Herman Rambow or Eugene Balner or Gus Szamboti or George Balabushka.

So twenty years later you walk into a pawn shop and you want to sell this cue and don't realize you have a $20,000 cue and only pawn it for $40 because you don't know.

If you didn't have access to this knowledge on this board, you'd be out a bunch of money.

Personally, I hope buckshot gets his cue sold, if that's what he he wants/needs.

Barbara

buckshot
01-28-2004, 10:41 PM
To Qtec: Barbara's initial point to you was right on the mark. I am looking for advise on who/how to broker this Q, not its value. Some here and other exchanges have asked to see this work of art and I am proud to display pictures Tony's work - anytime. If you are not familiar with Tony's (Black Boar) work, shame on you.

As to the Q's value, I have no reservations to its worth and what I will sell it for. Your comments to value and my investment were non-responsive and thus dismissed. Have a nice day.......

To Barbara: Again, thank you. I look forward to Vally Forge.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Popcorn
01-29-2004, 04:09 AM
Actually, I thought it was an error and he meant $1800. but either way, what do you care?

Qtec
01-29-2004, 05:55 AM
I dont.

This guy is simply advertising his cue.I bet he knows more than you think.

Q

Qtec
01-29-2004, 06:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
To Qtec: Barbara's initial point to you was right on the mark. I am looking for advise on who/how to broker this Q, not its value. <font color="blue"> What does 'brokering' have to do with the game of pool? Why dont you try Sotheby,s? </font color> Some here and other exchanges have asked to see this work of art and I am proud to display pictures Tony's work - anytime. <font color="blue"> If its such a work of art, why are you selling it. You havent even hit a ball with the cue, you see it purely as an investment.</font color> If you are not familiar with Tony's (Black Boar) work, shame on you.

As to the Q's value, I have no reservations to its worth and what I will sell it for. <font color="blue"> So you are selling something. </font color> Your comments to value and my investment were non-responsive and thus dismissed. Have a nice day....... <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue"> Guys like you come and go on this forum. They are all trying to sell something. Call me cynical, but I wasnt born yesterday.</font color>

Qtec

buckshot
01-30-2004, 04:20 PM
To Qtec: I would refer you to my original entry in this thread; I said up-front what my intentions are with this Q. My reasons for selling it are both immaterial and inapproaite to this venue.

Thanks to everyone, I have gained significant knowledge and insight to this (daunting to me) task. I am better equipped to make an informed decision and also some good contacts. Thank you.

By the way - anybody know this announcer (the Brit) on the Mosconi Cup - ESPN?? He does ad color - for sure, where is Mich when we need him......