PDA

View Full Version : Slate question

sutallee
01-26-2004, 05:53 PM
How can you tell if you got Italian or brazilian slate, Can you tell by just looking at it. If so how? Thanks

logixrat
01-27-2004, 06:01 PM
Doubtful you can tell by simply looking at it. My slate had stickers on 1 side indicating it was Italian.

JimS
01-27-2004, 06:09 PM
Seems to me I've read that the colors differ. Italian may be more gray with S. American more brownish???? Boy...it's a really hazy memory.

We'll see if it's confirmed or if my brain is simply the mush I've been afraid it might be for several yrs now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Harold Acosta
01-27-2004, 07:20 PM
I remember reading once that all Italian slates have the OIS logo or sticker on it. OIS stands for Original Italian Slate.

The Brazilian slate was less smooth than the Italian slate and it held more moisture than the Italian.

I'm trying to find the source where I read this. If I find it, sure will post it here.

Anonamus
01-28-2004, 07:04 AM
I think the Brazilian slate is a white "ish" color. Best Billiards has slate for sale and although they don't say what the country of origin is, I believe it's Brazilian.

I don't think that the old slate has the OIS stickers on them. I don't recall seeing the stickers on either one of my GC1's.

BTW, Brazilian slate isn't really slate. You can find some info on the net that talks about the differences in detail. I believe a college (maybe Michigan) conducted a study on the differences between slates for billiard use. If you can find that you will know all you need to know about slate.

Bob_Jewett
01-30-2004, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Seems to me I've read that the colors differ. Italian may be more gray with S. American more brownish???? <hr /></blockquote>

That's what I recall. Also, one installer told me that the Brazilian "slate" is quite a bit harder, so you can't work it as easily if needed.