PDA

View Full Version : $100.00 Shopping Spree

recoveryjones
01-27-2004, 12:11 AM
Hi, I'm primarily a nine ball player and have won a $100.00 shopping spree from a pool store on another website.I was considering spending the money on the following choices:
1.Ray Martins- 99 Critical Shots in Pool (book)
2.Phil Capelle-Play Your Best Nine Ball (book)
3.Capelle on Nine Ball-Archer vs Reyes (vhs and complimentary book)
I'd appreciate and feedback on these books/video as to if they are good choices and money well spent.

Another alternative ( to the above package) is a set of Tapes by Ryan Elliot called "Overcoming Contenderosis".
These tapes caught my eye because I seem to play really well in practice and table games as opposed to money/tournament games, especially money games.I am curious, however somewhat scepitical about these tapes. I am only considering buying the tapes because of the free prize money which makes it for me less of a gamble.

Any commentary about the afformentioned choices would be appreciated.Please comment on the choices based on your experience with these items (or reliable hearsay) rather than scepticle speculation.That would be much appreciated. Thanks, RJ

Foxtrott
01-27-2004, 01:04 AM
What is the shipping and handleing ?

recoveryjones
01-27-2004, 02:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Foxtrott:</font><hr> What is the shipping and handleing ? <hr /></blockquote>

The shipping and handling will be about $8.00 and will come out of the $100.00 alotted which in actuality gives me $92.00 to spend. The person however said a few dollars over ( within reason) would be cool.I think my totals are a tad under $100.00.

woody_968
01-27-2004, 08:38 AM
From what I have heard Capelle's books are good and are going to be some of my next purchases. The overcoming contenderosis tapes could help, but like anything you have to use them /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooltchr
01-27-2004, 08:51 AM
If you don't already have them, I would look at Capelle's Play your Best Pool, and A Mind for Pool. I own all of his books, and they are full of great information.

bluewolf
01-27-2004, 08:52 AM
I think that Phil Capelle is verbose and boring. Ray has several of his books. I ocasionally (rarely) look up a particular thing in one but I could never read the whole book. I like Berne's books, the standard one and the new one '350 shots', ewa lawrence idiots book, and I just ordered the pro book.

If you are looking for something on the mental aspects, IMO, "A mind for pool" was redundant and did not tell me anything terrifically enlightening, even as a beginner. I liked 'inner game of tennis' and 'the monk points the way' is probably better too.

99 crit shots is a good thing to have as a reference imo. The tapes on contenderosis sounds interesting,although I do not see why a person would need a tape series to overcome that LOL. Is this an audio or video series?

What else did they offer, tips etc also?

Laura

Wally_in_Cincy
01-27-2004, 09:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> I think that Phil Capelle is verbose and boring....<hr /></blockquote>

If you were a 14.1 player and if you had read Play Your Best Straight Pool you would not be of that opinion...

...in my opinion.

bluewolf
01-27-2004, 09:32 AM
I plodded through play your best pool and a mind for pool, after the first three chapters, it was all I could do to skim the other chapters looking for 'nuggets', which I did not find.

I heard the straight pool one is the best of his, but if it is written in the same boring way, well just me but I llike diagrams with a few sentences which tell me how to do what is on the diagram.

Science of pocket billiards is good for technical explanations but for the others, I go for the visual diagrams.

Laura

Fred Agnir
01-27-2004, 09:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr> Hi, I'm primarily a nine ball player and have won a $100.00 shopping spree from a pool store on another website.I was considering spending the money on the following choices:
3.Capelle on Nine Ball-Archer vs Reyes (vhs and complimentary book)<hr /></blockquote>

What website?

For $100, could you buy all three? Can you put it towards something else. I'm thinking cue or case.

Fred &lt;~~~ needs a $100 spending spree

Tom_In_Cincy
01-27-2004, 10:59 AM
Fred, same website you did an article for...

Fred Agnir
01-27-2004, 11:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Fred, same website you did an article for... <hr /></blockquote>How ironic.

Ralph S.
01-27-2004, 11:19 AM
RJ, definitely latch onto the "99 critical shots" is worth having even if only for reference purposes.

Rod
01-27-2004, 11:51 AM
Well will someone tell me what Contenderosis means? lol That word isn't even in the dictonary. I'll just guess it means your afraid of being a contender?

Rod

bluewolf
01-27-2004, 01:25 PM
Choking, I believe.

Laura

Fred Agnir
01-27-2004, 01:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Well will someone tell me what Contenderosis means? lol That word isn't even in the dictonary. I'll just guess it means your afraid of being a contender?

Rod <hr /></blockquote>It's a made up word, I'm guessing. -osis usually means "condition."

Fred &lt;~~~~ confusosis

recoveryjones
01-28-2004, 02:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr> Hi, I'm primarily a nine ball player and have won a $100.00 shopping spree from a pool store on another website.I was considering spending the money on the following choices:
3.Capelle on Nine Ball-Archer vs Reyes (vhs and complimentary book)<hr /></blockquote>

What website?

For $100, could you buy all three? Can you put it towards something else. I'm thinking cue or case.

Fred &lt;~~~ needs a $100 spending spree <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Fred, 6 months ago a bought a brand new custom cue, break cue, jump cue and 6 compartment case so I'm all set there.I just want to expand my knowledge and I thought some books and videos might help out.Most books and videos have an awful lot of filler, however, there is usally some good stuff that I can definitly use as I still have a lot to learn about the game. Does one ever stop learning?
Also I've been reading "The inner game of tennis" and
"The Pleasures of Small Motions" to study the mental part of the game.The contenderosis tapes were kind of a curiousity that I may have considered if I had heard a lot of favorable feedback from this forumn.
Thanks to everyone who responded and some day I'll provide some feedback to what I eventually purchase and what I think of the stuff chosen. RJ

recoveryjones
01-28-2004, 03:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> Choking, I believe.

Laura <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Laura, thanks for your various comments on my post, much appreciated.About 4 or 5 years ago I read Phil Capelle's- A Mind For Pool and at the time I found it kinda boring myself. I found like most other books there was a lot of filler and probably a short condensed pamphlet of the stuff I WANTED would have helped.I'm hoping his nine ball stuff is better and it seems that a few people like it so I'm probably going to give it a try.
As for me I wouldn't nesecarily take on the label choker(even though I do sometimes), or being afraid to be a contender as some of the posts thought Contenderosis might imply. I'd have to agree that they are somewhat related however.I kinda agree with what Fred said in it being a condition.Basically,I just want to bring to the big games the stroke I often get in practice.(Wouldn't we all? LOL)Sometimes I play unbelievable(for me) in practice. I know I'm in Deadstroke or the zone as some pool players refer it. It is a tremendous feeling of confidence(I can't miss) and relaxation that I'm sure you and many others have experienced from time to time.I just want to be a stronger CONTENDER in pressure games and I know that the game that I shoot in practice would make me one.
Having said that, my expectations on the above thoughts might be a little unrealistic. I think I just need to get more acclimatized to pressure situations by playing more tourneys , money games etc.and the better players as I do tend to overdose on practice.In otherwords,Contending will make me a better contender and I will overcome contenderosis. I guess I was just looking for and easier softer way and hoping some audio tapes could provide it. Thanks for your input,RJ