PDA

View Full Version : Meucci Black Dot - Dot Up ?

be1163
01-27-2004, 06:04 AM
I've been told the Meucci Black dot shafts should always be shot with the dot up. Is this true ?

pooltchr
01-27-2004, 08:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote be1163:</font><hr>Meucci Black dot shafts should always be shot <hr /></blockquote>

I don't know why this portion seems to jump out at me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry..couldn't resist the small jab. It was true with the red dot shafts, but I haven't heard it said about the black dots. I don't pay much attention to Meucci anything any more.

ryushen21
01-27-2004, 10:52 AM
From my understanding of Meucci's the dot has to be face up when you shoot. It's because they use a bunch of horizontal layers. So if that dot isn't facing up, the shaft won't flex the way it's supposed to. Or something like that.

DoomCue
01-27-2004, 11:34 AM
For the Red Dot, Meucci says the dot should be up because that's the optimal spine alignment. I would assume the same is true for the black dot. That is, the same load of crap applies to both the red and black dots.

-djb

Fred Agnir
01-27-2004, 11:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote be1163:</font><hr> I've been told the Meucci Black dot shafts should always be shot with the dot up. Is this true ? <hr /></blockquote>Your life won't come to a screeching halt if you don't have the black dot pointing up all the time. I think the most important aspect of their black dot shaft is in the ferrule design.

Fred

cycopath
01-27-2004, 03:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>I think the most important aspect of their black dot shaft is in the ferrule design.
<hr /></blockquote>

And what is that... really long? I never understood the reason for the super long ferrules on Meucci shafts.

pooltchr
01-28-2004, 07:58 AM
Unless they have changed, they are really long and have a hollow space in the middle. Less weight at the end of the cue to reduce squirt on the cue ball when hitting side english.

Fred Agnir
01-28-2004, 08:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>I think the most important aspect of their black dot shaft is in the ferrule design.
<hr /></blockquote>

And what is that... really long? <hr /></blockquote>No. The as far as I know, there is a gap between the ferrule and the tenon. The motion of the ferrule is ... effectively decoupled... from the rest of the shaft. Not totally, but enough that it reduces the effective end shaft mass involved in the collision.

That's the theory.

Fred

griffith_d
01-28-2004, 09:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DoomCue:</font><hr> For the Red Dot, Meucci says the dot should be up because that's the optimal spine alignment. I would assume the same is true for the black dot. That is, the same load of crap applies to both the red and black dots.

-djb <hr /></blockquote>

Knowing a little about wood, I assume the Dot is put on so that you will shoot it the same way with the natural wood layers to be aligned the same for each shot to give you the same predictable reactions.

You could do that on any shaft,...no big deal. It is just a gimmick, but it is also true.

Griff

Pelican
01-28-2004, 09:49 PM
Yes, have the black dot (actually a tiny circle) up when shooting.

DoomCue
01-29-2004, 07:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote griffith_d:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote DoomCue:</font><hr> For the Red Dot, Meucci says the dot should be up because that's the optimal spine alignment. I would assume the same is true for the black dot. That is, the same load of crap applies to both the red and black dots.

-djb <hr /></blockquote>

Knowing a little about wood, I assume the Dot is put on so that you will shoot it the same way with the natural wood layers to be aligned the same for each shot to give you the same predictable reactions.

You could do that on any shaft,...no big deal. It is just a gimmick, but it is also true.

Griff <hr /></blockquote>

Gimmick, yes. True, yes. There is definitely a spine in wood. Does knowing spine alignment matter? Not one bit. Meucci's claims that spine alignment matters is nothing more than pseudoscience at its best. That's why I called the dots a load of crap. Tell me, if you don't have the dot up, can you tell a difference in the hit? If I gave you a non-Meucci shaft, could you "align the spine" for me by feel? What unpredictable reactions (since you mentioned predictability) are possible if you don't have the dot up?

I don't think there's a human that can hit a ball with a stick and determine a difference between hits with the spine aligned or misaligned. Not only are the dots gimmicks, they're dumb gimmicks. They're an attempt to artificially create a market for "special" shafts when there's nothing special other than a speck of paint.

-djb

Ken
01-29-2004, 07:41 AM
It's true a human cannot tell the difference. That's why they use a precise measuring device to determine the position of the red dot. With the black dot it is easier since the wood bends more perpendicular to the plies. Thus, they claim there is less squirt when the black dot is up (or down).

Supposedly, it was not important to keep the red dot up for shots where squirt was not anticipated. With the black dot there is so much variation in flexibility I would assume one should always keep the dot up to avoid unanticipated effects on the cue ball. Therefore, you have stiffness for draw and follow and flexibility for side spin: the best of both worlds.

If you believe that I will be introducing my own line of shafts that I will give, I mean, sell you.
KenCT-&gt;has serious doubts about the "myth destroyer"

justbrake
01-30-2004, 01:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>I think the most important aspect of their black dot shaft is in the ferrule design.
<hr /></blockquote>

And what is that... really long? <hr /></blockquote>No. The as far as I know, there is a gap between the ferrule and the tenon. The motion of the ferrule is ... effectively decoupled... from the rest of the shaft. Not totally, but enough that it reduces the effective end shaft mass involved in the collision.

That's the theory.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

not knowing anything about the space in the ferrule but I do like the lenght of the ferrule and it has some good defletions in the shaft on long shots! also when playing who is going to keep an eye on wheather the dot is up or not /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif,I don't think so!

be1163
01-30-2004, 05:58 AM
I've been using the cue with the dot up every shot since Dec.26/03. Now when I shoot the dot is always up and 99% of the time I don't even realize I'm doing turning the cue to put it up. It just natural to me now.

griffith_d
01-31-2004, 08:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DoomCue:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote griffith_d:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote DoomCue:</font><hr> For the Red Dot, Meucci says the dot should be up because that's the optimal spine alignment. I would assume the same is true for the black dot. That is, the same load of crap applies to both the red and black dots.

-djb <hr /></blockquote>

Griff <hr /></blockquote>

Gimmick, yes. True, yes. There is definitely a spine in wood. Does knowing spine alignment matter? Not one bit. Meucci's claims that spine alignment matters is nothing more than pseudoscience at its best. That's why I called the dots a load of crap. Tell me, if you don't have the dot up, can you tell a difference in the hit? If I gave you a non-Meucci shaft, could you "align the spine" for me by feel? What unpredictable reactions (since you mentioned predictability) are possible if you don't have the dot up?

I don't think there's a human that can hit a ball with a stick and determine a difference between hits with the spine aligned or misaligned. Not only are the dots gimmicks, they're dumb gimmicks. They're an attempt to artificially create a market for "special" shafts when there's nothing special other than a speck of paint.

-djb <hr /></blockquote>

Not that anyone could tell tremedously in a cue shaft, but, natural or manmade, when layers are bent parallel or perpendicular to the layers, a difference can be felt.

Griff