PDA

View Full Version : Flying cues par avion

bluewolf
01-27-2004, 07:45 AM
We had been trying unsuccessfully to sell a few of our older sceptre cues. Well, my son and his girl were here and they liked them, so we gave two to them and my old hard porper case.

They had to fly back to florida last night and the ups store was closed due to weather. I tried to tell them that you are supposed to have special metal tubes to put them in but they were determined to take those cues and so they checked the case.

Hope the cues did not get beat up too bad in the process, the way that the airlines throw stuff around. The cues are not great but to them they were wonderful after playing with house cues. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Any experiences along those lines?

Laura

woody_968
01-27-2004, 07:52 AM
I havent personally had any experience with this, but Porper cases are pretty good cases and I wouldnt think they would have any trouble.

Fred Agnir
01-27-2004, 07:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> We had been trying unsuccessfully to sell a few of our older sceptre cues. <hr /></blockquote>
I've got to know. Just what the heck is a Sceptre Cue?

[ QUOTE ]
Well, my son and his girl were here and they liked them, so we gave two to them
and my old hard porper case.<hr /></blockquote>

And what is a "hard" Porper Case?

[ QUOTE ]
They had to fly back to florida last night and the ups store was closed due to weather. I tried to tell them that you are supposed to have special metal tubes to put them in but they were determined to take those cues and so they checked the case.<hr /></blockquote>

You don't need to pack them in special metal tubes. A cardboard tube or box will suffice. But, it they're checked just in the case, then the biggest threat is the invitation of sticky fingers. That being said, the last time I travelled with my case, my cardboard box had been opened and inspected on both the outbound and the inbound legs. Luckily, no sticky fingers.

Fred

bluewolf
01-27-2004, 08:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> We had been trying unsuccessfully to sell a few of our older sceptre cues. <hr /></blockquote>
I've got to know. Just what the heck is a Sceptre Cue?

One of those small companies that at one time made a decent cue for the price. It was not a custom but you could chose the colors, tip size, weight and so forth. It is a front balanced cue with a slender butt. They could not be ordered online like predator and other 'production' cues. They were 'customized' to a degree but not really custom.

When I first married ww, the cues were nicely made and we had two that were pretty nice. Then when the company changed hands, they were not as good. Ray ordered three more under the new management. Two of them were pretty good and one was not balanced quite right. It was beautiful and still is but is not balanced right. My son took one of the first ones, which was the first cue I played with and one of the two that was made okay with the company which took over.

At the time that they were making them well, Ray sold a few to people and they have generally been well liked. It was a $300 dollar cue, which was customized mostly for asthetics,tip mm preferences and you could order whatever weight you wanted and they shot pretty well.

I was trying to get rid of mine, if someone had offered me $50, I would have sold it or was willing to give mine away to any beginner who wanted one of them.

Even the one I still have that I do not like the balance of is better than a house cue and like I said, I would be glad to give it to a beginner who just wants their own cue.

I think this company went belly up or at least their phone was disconected.

And what is a "hard" Porper Case?

A stand up case which has some support in it unlike a 'soft' case, not a box case.

You don't need to pack them in special metal tubes. A cardboard tube or box will suffice

Fred
<hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks.

Laura

pooltchr
01-27-2004, 08:56 AM
As I recall, those cues used oak for the shafts. (That's why they were so small in diameter due to the weight of the wood). Anyway, you could bounce one of those shafts pretty hard, and not put a ding in it. I suspect they will travel just fine.